Shackles of Heavenly Gold

Shackles of Heavenly Gold

A Story by Mila
"

Is it worth being chained by gold when freedom is just on the horizon?

"

Shackles of Heavenly Gold

 

They said that we had to listen, learn and obey the call of one man to a sea of thousands. So we listened, we learned and we obeyed. Some of us questioned and others merely shrugged. Our shackles were invisible, but they weighed us down like a million boulders. Above our heads, the skies were as clear as ever, and we stood on an open field with no gate to hold us back.

 

They said that we had to work under the hot sun, so we worked. It wasn’t so hot, but we sweated oceans and bled rivers. Tears rolled down our cheeks, but we still obeyed. In the distance, there was a crack in our heavenly oasis, and the darkness began to loom above us like an impending doom of despair. Still we listened, we learned and we obeyed.

 

Our shackles began to glow in the night. Lights flashed and those who questioned protested against being silenced. But the more they cried for justice the more our shackles became real. Our wrists and ankles were bound. Our wings were clipped and those of us who were blinded still by the oasis of freedom tried to grasp that image as firmly as we could, only to watch it slip again and again from our fingers.

 

No man around us looked the same. Every woman’s hair shone a different color. Every child’s eyes were beams of different light. We didn’t know one another, but we were all brothers and sisters. Our tears melted together in the puddle growing at our feet. Still we listened, we learned and we obeyed.

 

What are these shackles we wear? Has no one questioned why they are made of gold? Such rich desires keeping us from an even greater purpose, a nation surrounds us that promises an oasis of freedom… but still we refuse to let go of these golden shackles. Even the man who beat us to obey now stands by my side, a brother shackled as well. We all bear the weight of sin and misery.

 

What God can hope to reckon the pain of a man’s heart? What leader can justify producing his people with golden shackles? That every man should only be allowed to stand free if and only if he stands bound to the man next to him? That our wings should be clipped, our judgmental stones cast and our shoulders weighed down… all of us connected with one never ending chain of gold… and yet we all claim to stand as one?

 

This was never about who was who or what happened before. This wasn’t about those who fought and bled and cried or those who inflicted the wounds that shook a nation to the core. This was about that day on the open field, with the invisible shackles and the oasis of freedom. It was about the fleeting dream that we, all of us, never grasped. So now we stand here, side by side, me and my brothers and sisters, everyone and anyone we knew and loved, and even those we didn’t… we stand here bound by shackles of heavenly gold.

 

For our enemies and our allies are all our brothers. We cannot turn our heads and see, but the seed that bore us is the seed that brings us together.

 

Who are we to tear that seed apart?

 

Some are shackled by hate.

 

Others are shackled by ignorance.

 

Many are shackled by fear.

 

And all… well, all of us are shackled because… oh, who am I to say why? Perhaps we are all shackled because the idea of being the one to ask for the key is a scary thought for all of us. And perhaps we will stand here forever, staring blankly at the oasis of freedom.

 

We are not one people, we are many. There is no singular image, but a vast, colorful image of men and women and children standing bound together.

 

So, though we weep for the freedom we could have had, at least we do not weep alone.

 

No, we do not weep alone.

© 2014 Mila


Author's Note

Mila
I wrote this story two years ago when my friend, who is African American, had racial slurs thrown at her by a few drunk guys when we went to the club together after a game. She didn't let it faze her, and though I admired that, it still bothered me that they as a community have taken so many hits when we're supposed to be living in a progressive society.
I've hesitated posting this, but I thought why the Hell not. If I don't, that's three hours of my life gone to waste.
Let me know how you liked it! Leave a review! :)

-Mila

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Mila, your story resonates strongly, with me, being a minority within a minority, as a transsexual. I understand, why your friend ignore those, taunting her, like she did, as I ignore those, who hurl transphobic and homophobic comments, my way. To react to them, means these ignorant people have scored a moral victory over us, by our very reactions. It takes, a lot of inner strength to turn the other cheek and walk away. Thus, showing the pettiness of these "children", for all to see. Thank you, Mila, for sharing this, with us.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

I am so happy that you were able to take something from my story. No matter who you are or what you .. read more
therisa

9 Years Ago

Thank you, Mila. Sadly, too many people would disagree with your express opinion, but I'm not one of.. read more



Reviews

Well written, and thought provoking.

But they more the cried for justice (the)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

Much thanks!
NoelHC

9 Years Ago

Just noticed the "they" and the "the" need to be flipped
But the more they cried for justice
Mila, your story resonates strongly, with me, being a minority within a minority, as a transsexual. I understand, why your friend ignore those, taunting her, like she did, as I ignore those, who hurl transphobic and homophobic comments, my way. To react to them, means these ignorant people have scored a moral victory over us, by our very reactions. It takes, a lot of inner strength to turn the other cheek and walk away. Thus, showing the pettiness of these "children", for all to see. Thank you, Mila, for sharing this, with us.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

I am so happy that you were able to take something from my story. No matter who you are or what you .. read more
therisa

9 Years Ago

Thank you, Mila. Sadly, too many people would disagree with your express opinion, but I'm not one of.. read more
I think we're all bound by complacency and apathy -- expecting someone else to ask for the key, to turn it in the lock. While we wait for someone else, Freedom dies.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MomzillaNC

9 Years Ago

True equality may be beyond the advancement of our species because competition is the driving force .. read more
Mila

9 Years Ago

It shouldn't have to be something we need to ask for, in short.
MomzillaNC

9 Years Ago

Right. :D
Brilliant story with a great message. I think every skin tone has their own forms of racism that will probably stick around for a long while. A very sad reality. Hopefully society realises there is no difference sooner rather than later.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much! :)
This is awesome! And amazing analogy. I have no critiques, well penned :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much! :)
Do you think the story takes on new meaning in light of the racial strife we've been experiencing lately? Maybe it is as relevant as it was two years ago. Anyway, I like it because it could also take on any number of other meanings based on the reader's interpretation.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

You know, as I was posting it, I sort of thought about that... I think it can be interpreted in that.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

240 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 26, 2014
Last Updated on December 12, 2014
Tags: Shackles, freedom, equality, life

Author

Mila
Mila

St. Louis , MO



About
ALL WINNERS FROM MY CONTESTS WILL HAVE THIER WORKS FEATURED ON MY WATTPAD ANTHOLOGY WITH FULL CREDIT GIVEN TO THEM! PLEASE LET ME KNOW WELL BEFORE HAND IF YOU DO NOT WANT ME TO FEATURE YOUR WORK! A.. more..

Writing
Change Change

A Story by Mila


Liar Liar

A Story by Mila



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..