Checkmate

Checkmate

A Story by Mila
"

Would you sacrifice your strongest weapon early in the game?

"

Checkmate



 

Look at your chessboard. The proudest pieces stand the tallest, and the strongest stand protected. In a game of chess, you are the puppeteer of your army, and you send your Queen out to the most perilous regions to undertake the most dangerous of tasks.

 

Why?

 

Oh, because she’s your strongest piece. She’s your secret weapon. Yet… she’s the one thing you do not want to lose under any circumstances. If you do, it may be difficult to recover.

 

In a game of chess, the Queen protects her King.

 

The King… ahh, what an interesting fellow. A ruler of lands and an alleged conqueror of kingdoms… so strong and yet… so weak? In a game of chess, the King can’t protect himself.

 

He needs his strongest warrior to protect him. He needs a woman. She performs dangerous maneuvers to protect what is her own. She is willing, just like the rest, to stand in the face of the enemy and knock them off one by one, often with no one to protect her… because we think she doesn’t need it.

 

The King is allowed what? One move in either direction? The Queen is allowed almost all of them. Yet the foolish player won’t think twice to use her as much as he can. The foolish player won’t protect her, the most important player, because he is blinded by the need to protect the King, the main objective of the game.

 

Yet they are both in the very last row.

 

So what am I getting at here? What sort of drivel is this? Am I an advocate of an inanimate Queen or am I a critic of the foolish chess player? What sort of thing does this have to do with life?

 

Maybe nothing, maybe everything. Do this: take a look to the Queens in your life, your strengths. Know not to sacrifice them too quickly, for they are the secret weapons to your game of life. Then look at your Kings, your weaknesses. Know that you are trying to protect them, mend them… but who will win that fight?

 

You may think that you will always be the King and Queen of your own chessboard, and that may be true, but don’t be surprised when your opponent has the same pieces and turns as you do.

 

They may well be the one to whisper ‘checkmate’, and win.

 

Would you sacrifice your strongest weapon early in the game?

© 2016 Mila


Author's Note

Mila
I love chess, and I love to play it... so naturally I had to write a story about it. Hope you like! :)
Reviews=motivation! <3

-Mila

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I love the game of chess also.
"They may well be the one to whisper ‘checkmate’, and win.
Would you sacrifice your strongest weapon early in the game?"
The game of chess is a game of future moves. Don't kill your defense. A good player will take advantage. Thank you Mila for sharing the excellent poetry.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

8 Years Ago

Thank you!!
Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

You are welcome.



Reviews

well I see a good man the king with a good woman the queen
a good man always has a good woman by his side

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

Thank you! But in this case, I think the woman has a good man by her side. :) thanks for stopping by.. read more
I am not so good on the chessboard but know it well. You are right King needs Queen for protect him because he is so strong yet so weak just like king lion.

It is interesting analogy and good on result. Great and surprise write.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

Thank you!
I do like this story very much, and I know how to play chess, but not very well. You have made the chess game a good analogy to life. It's interesting that the queen can make every move except the knight's; I don't know how that works in.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

Thank you!! :)
I do not play chess but I know of its wizardry. I think the saying: 'the only way you improve is to play a smarter oponent.' Comes from chess. Or something along those squares...

Very different to the your other work. I like your versatility. I like the in depth thought process and the way I pondered the comparisons. I agree with Jennie with the calculated choice of words. Fine piece.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

Thank you! And yeah, my dad is a huge chess buff so I "had" to learn it growing up... and it sort of.. read more
Mr_M

9 Years Ago

I know the very basics but I am more of a snakes and ladders kinda guy... much more intellicutal!
Brilliant analogy, and your well-chosen words develop it perfectly. Excellent writing! And good advice, to take inventory of one's strengths and use them well and carefully.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

Thank you, Jennie! :)

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2455 Views
15 Reviews
Added on March 5, 2015
Last Updated on April 27, 2016
Tags: Chess, game, life, Queen, King

Author

Mila
Mila

St. Louis , MO



About
ALL WINNERS FROM MY CONTESTS WILL HAVE THIER WORKS FEATURED ON MY WATTPAD ANTHOLOGY WITH FULL CREDIT GIVEN TO THEM! PLEASE LET ME KNOW WELL BEFORE HAND IF YOU DO NOT WANT ME TO FEATURE YOUR WORK! A.. more..

Writing
Change Change

A Story by Mila


Liar Liar

A Story by Mila