Mother India

Mother India

A Story by Mila
"

Written by an Indian girl who is tired of looking at her country and seeing the horrible things that go on.

"

Mother India



 

When I was growing up, my mother told me these things:

 

Don’t look at men in the eyes.

 

Don’t wear showy clothes.

 

If an older man is staring at you, ignore him.

 

Try and cover yourself up more.

 

Don’t draw attention to yourself.

 

Well, why did she tell me these things? She didn’t want me to get hurt? She thought men would harm me if I displayed my femininity?

 

Why did she tell me those things?

 

In India, I can’t wear shorts in over a hundred degree weather, simply because men will catcall me, touch me, harass me… try to rape me.

 

In India, I can’t go out after dark, simply because men will catcall me, touch me, harass me… try to rape me.

 

In India, victim blaming is more than a commonality, it’s expected.

 

Don’t go out late at night.

 

Don’t wear shorts in hot temperatures.

 

Don’t wear your hair down.

 

Don’t show too much skin.

 

If you leave a diamond in the street a thief will surely pick it up.

 

What do you do with a diamond? You secure and protect it. You shelter it and make sure it never sees the light of day save to display it for the enjoyment of others. They are objects of fascination, something everyone wants to touch.

 

Yes, you can say that women aren’t objects. Yet you can justify comparing women to diamonds.

 

I’ll sweat to keep myself from being assaulted by men who are sexually frustrated, and I will do it happily… because I don’t want my parents to think that they raised someone who likes to tempt men.

 

I’ll tie my hair up. Those long locks of dark hair that I thought would make me look classy and elegant are just another temptation factor for men.

 

I am not the owner of my body, fear is.

 

I fear the inferiors… and for what?

 

Do you even know who built India? Do you even stop to think about those things when you cat call, touch, harass or try to rape a girl that you don’t know? A girl whose life you’re making miserable because you are ‘just a guy and don’t know any better’?

 

Mothers built India.

 

In India’s history, we have Queens. Goddesses. Intellectuals. Mother’s of Kings, mothers of Prime Ministers, mothers of doctors, lawyers, businessmen… everything that has ever brought India to the face of the world has come forth from a mother. A woman.

 

Why do you think we call her Mother India?

 

You worship the Mother Goddess one night and rape a woman the other?

 

Do you think that you can catcall a girl on the street because you have some sort of power over her? Do you think that just because the authorities are on your side, you can get away with it?

 

We see you, you know. Mothers never forget. Your ancestors who fought, bleed, wept, sweat, and died to bring you the India you have now watch you and think… ‘This is what I sacrificed for?’

 

When you walk into your Mandir, you might as well keep your shoes on. Don’t wash your hands when you touch the idols. Don’t touch the feet of your elders. Don’t get on your knees and bow your head down in front of God.

 

What good will any of that do you?  They saw you when you thought you were untouchable. When you were catcalling, touching, harassing or raping that girl, they saw you.

 

Every time you destroy a girl, you destroy a Mother India.

 

Every time you destroy a man, you destroy a son of Mother India.

 

Every time you destroy anyone, you destroy a child of Mother India.

 

So tell me, now that you’ve been so humbled… why do you think my mother told me those things?

© 2015 Mila


Author's Note

Mila
This was actually requested for me to write from one of my friends. She asked me if I wrote anything about India, and I said that I try to avoid it because everything I have to say about it makes me either angry or sad, and that wouldn't be right to say about my country especially so soon after Holi. She merely said that there is no better reason to write about one's country, so I gave it some thought, and then wrote this down.
I hope you guys like it, sorry if it got too graphic!
Reviews=motivation!!

-Mila

(That being said I do have a Holi story coming up!!)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow. Amazing and so touching. This kind of thing goes on in sooo many places, all over the world. I've never been to India and it wouldn't be right for me to say I understand because of stories that have come out of your country but I feel for you. And about the Goddesses, your so right, in fact so many of the people who have made impact on this world in general are women. Yet some people still don't understand that. Supremacy in all forms has always fascinated me, whats the point? I think you've told a wonderful story that would make an awesome speech. In fact you'd make an awesome politician. Good job :-)

Posted 8 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Mila

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much! :)



Reviews

Pathetically correct. Awkwardly and shamefully relevant. This patriarchal society of ours filled with male chauvinists in the name of culture and tradition have constantly suppressed women.
Change is necessary. Change is imperative.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much!
I imagined this being read aloud and concluded that it would be quite a speech, and it was appropriate for International Women's Day. Your skills at "oratory" are amazing.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

Thank you!! :)
I was in India for 6 months and I travelled a fair bit of a truely stunning country. I was shocked that such a friendly, peace loving country had such a dark side. I knew western women who travelled alone and Indian women. it makes my blood boil that these things still exist, I was only watching on the news regarding an afghan woman who is a taxi driver. Her passengers are told that she can't drive, she will crash and then worse, pass on leprosy. She waits on her roof at night with a loaded riffle to ward of men who may try to damage her car. Worse still 5 years or so ago women could not be seen out of their homes!

I think what hope or future does this planet have. If it be India, Afghanistan, or the Uk where I am from, these issues are across the globe.

the minority , should see women as human beings rather than a piece of meat or another species. I think the goverment and Modi need to take a stand and change the mind set. instead of sending rockets into space, education and change for the longterm need to take president.. I am a mere British citizen peering through the window Here. I feel you need to change the nature of the beast. That beast being man.

Fantastic poem, I think it needs to be graphic to convey the message. I only hope when I return to your beautiful country this social priblem improves.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much for your insight! I was born and raised in America, so I'm already peering throu.. read more
What you have conveyed in the poem, is the ugly truth if our Indian society. Male aren't stopped from showing their so-called masculinity. But, when it comes of women, there are numerous hindrances.

I can feel the anger, residing in you.

Devanshu



Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Devanshu Rajput

9 Years Ago

And, painting is very nice.....are you the owner of it?
Mila

9 Years Ago

Thank you!
I see that you send me a friend request and I'm so sorry, I accidentally hit "decl.. read more
Devanshu Rajput

9 Years Ago

No problem, who in this world, won't want to become a friend of a writer like you.

A.. read more
This is a wonderful write Mila. Hope it moves everyone as it has moved me.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

Thank you!

3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2367 Views
25 Reviews
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on March 9, 2015
Last Updated on March 10, 2015
Tags: India, Mother, Crime, Rape, Assault, Daughters, Shameful

Author

Mila
Mila

St. Louis , MO



About
ALL WINNERS FROM MY CONTESTS WILL HAVE THIER WORKS FEATURED ON MY WATTPAD ANTHOLOGY WITH FULL CREDIT GIVEN TO THEM! PLEASE LET ME KNOW WELL BEFORE HAND IF YOU DO NOT WANT ME TO FEATURE YOUR WORK! A.. more..

Writing
Change Change

A Story by Mila


Liar Liar

A Story by Mila