The Death of a King

The Death of a King

A Story by Mip/John K. Brierley
"

This is an episode from Shadow and Grimmer's lives where they go to the fair and stuff happens.

"
Read the background information thing of mine to figure out who they are and what they can do. Understand? If you don't know what's happening, it is because you refuse to read the background info so I don't have to type out the characters bios every time and just refer to them in that little article. This is Shadow and Grimmer by the way. Shadow is 8 and Grimmer is 3. As Grimmer is too young for me to be able to communicate properly her thoughts, this story will be through Shadow's eyes only. This world is set in medieval times.
Last night we had traveled with a man for many miles. When Grimmer had fallen asleep in her little carrier I'd improvised for long journeys, the man told me of this fair and a creature known as an elephant. It has thick, grey skin, large ears, big enough to weigh at least 30 tons, and has a trunk like a snake, able to pick up things and food to feed the elephant. When I asked where the fair was, he said it was only 7 miles due north from the next town. When we had rested in the town and bought more food, we went our separate ways, him towards someone important, some king I believe, and us to this fair.
When we began to walk our way, Grimmer decided she wanted to walk. I let her out and continued to walk, albeit slower so she may keep up. When Grimmer finally asked where we were heading, and I gave her my answer, she began to run. How that little girl has so much energy I'll never know. I had to run to keep up with her but when she grew tired, I put her into the carrier on my back and walked the rest of the way.
Her mouth wasn't tired though.
"Shadow, what's at the fair?"
"Musicians, freaks of nature, and exotic creatures,"
"Which musicians?"
"Probably one of the ones we met at King Lox's inauguration."
"You mean like Jet?"
"Jet was the one with the blue hair and that played the violin and that ugly looking thing he called a guitar?"
"Yes! That was him!"
"Probably. Only guitar player in the continent, why wouldn't he be there with the elephants?"
"Elephants? What elephant? Shadowwwww?"
"Dang it. I meant for that to be a surprise."
"What's an elephant, Shadow?"
"An elephant is this huge hairless creature. It has thick grey skin, weighs at least 30 tons, and has a snake attached to its face called a trunk to pick things up with."
"How long is the snake?"
"At least 20 feet."
"It sounds amazing,"
"Yes it does. Do you know what day it is?"
"What?"
"Today is the third anniversary of when I found you. So you're three now."
"That means I can drink and smoke now right?"
"No, it means you get an extra piece of taffy."
"Oh. That's stupid,"
"Would you prefer vanilla?"
"Ew! No! I hate vanilla! I hate it!" she squeals hilariously.
I couldn't stop laughing at her little pixie voice screaming curses about vanilla.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When we arrived at the fair, I picked a few pockets so we'd have money to do a few things. Then we heard King Lox was here and decided to go see his majesty of some land. I don't know, I don't pay attention to borders. Anyway, when we found him, Jet was on stage singing and strumming away at his guitar. As ugly the thing looks, it sounds fine enough. Grimmer had squirmed her way out of her carrier and onto to my shoulders. I think he was singing something about his father, and how he died honorably in some war. I wasn't paying attention. I was listening to what the king was saying to his adviser.
"I don't care if I offended King Simon. He shouldn't have done that. If he wishes to kill me, he should do it quickly before I kill him."
Interesting enough. We should watch out for either king's soldiers. War could be coming soon.
Grimmer slapped me upside the head and yells "Shadow!"
"What!?"
"Why are there men above the stage?"
"They move the curtains back and forth, you know that."
"Yeah but then one pulled out a bow. What's the bow for?"
"You've got to be kidding me. Let's tell the king. Though I doubt he'll listen to kids."
I walk up to the king's area and tell one of the guards what Grimmer saw. The guard runs up to the king and tells him. When he's halfway there, an arrow flies through the air into the king's throat. My first thought is hide Grimmer. I run over to a secluded area as more arrows rained down.
I set Grimmer down and tell her "Stay down, stay invisible, I'll be back."
I run to the only place they could escape quickly enough without getting caught after this much havoc. Horses behind the stage.
When I arrive, they're just getting on their horses. I throw shurikens at the two farther away from me in the lower spine to paralyze their legs and make them unable to move. I run towards the third and jump, landing on his back. I pull him to the ground and elbow him in the mouth quickly.
Weakling. Unconscious by one hit. The other two are just gawking with their mouths open at me. I pull my shurikens out of their bodies and reattach them to my jacket.
"Don't bother trying to get away. You don't have legs anymore. Just useless meat."
I walk in the direction and start yelling that I found them. When the dead king's knights arrive to find them unconscious, I walk away. However, the king's adviser stops me and says "Thank you Shadow."
"How do you know my name?" I ask, scared that I might die. That my father had found me.
"Anybody that knows anything about your clan would know what you did. I just wanted to thank you for stopping them from getting away."
"Your welcome."
I walk away as fast as possible and go to where I left Grimmer.
"Grimmer, become visible again, everything's okay."
Grimmer runs from the corner where I left her and hugs me, crying about how worried she was. I just hug her back and tell her it's time to go. I pick her up and walk out of the town. Grimmer says it's just beginning. That there will be more like this. I can't help but agree.
Edit:Changed the title cause I thought of a better one.

© 2013 Mip/John K. Brierley


Author's Note

Mip/John K. Brierley
Rate away!!!!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

156 Views
Added on July 30, 2013
Last Updated on July 31, 2013
Tags: Unimensions, Magic, Action, Shadow and Grimmer

Author

Mip/John K. Brierley
Mip/John K. Brierley

Deadville, IL



About
I'm a writer with big ideas and no motivation to put them down. Hopefully you don't mind younger me's writing cause compared to current me's, it's ramen noodles. more..

Writing