What defines a good book?

What defines a good book?

A Story by Mira
"

A short article on the Importance of a good book and a few elements that a good book should definitely have. Feel free to tell me all your favourite books, and why/why not you agree with my article :)

"

What defines a good book?

 

“Mysterious…but not too mysterious as that'll just confuse and switch off the desire of the reader to continue reading the book."

 

                     “Something that isn’t written by John Green.”

 

  “Well, it should have good vocabulary. I’m a student and reading a book with a wide use of vocabulary actually helps me a lot in many aspects.”

 

A good book can be written by almost anyone if we put our minds to It. It is not necessary that a good book should be mysterious in order to completely gain your undivided attention. It is also not a ‘must’ for a good book to have a wide range of vocabulary, I understand that it may bring its own benefits to the table, but, a good book is not defined by the usage of big and fancy words. I, for one, find it quite frustrating when a book persists in using words such as ‘maudlin’ and ‘fastidious’ repeatedly to the point where you have no desire to continue reading the goddamn book.

Now, let’s begin with my opinion on what defines a good book; well, for starters, you need to have two contrasting characters in your story, or two contrasting “anything’s” for that matter. You need to feel deeper emotions than just ‘happy’ and ‘sad’. You need to feel betrayal, angst, excitement, passion, love, pain and many more such emotions as you read through the pages in your book. It should tap onto the right side, the creative side, of your brain and expose you to a completely new reality in where nothing else will matter. It sure feels good when you realise you haven’t thought about your crush for more than three hours. One more thing, time just whizzes past if you have a good book in your hand and a quiet place to read In. In fact, the day before my math’s finals, I promised myself that I would read ‘Forrest Gump’ for half an hour and then get back to practicing sums in trigonometry. However, I ended up failing in almost all of the trigonometry questions the day after. Why, you ask? Because I couldn’t keep my promise. I just love reading a good book, and man, I really didn’t have the strength that day to push myself to get out of my hammock.

Now, here is the toughest part, a good book mainly starts off boring in which everything seems to be in perfect monotony with no interruptions. You feel as If there’s no point in reading the book after all. But then, suddenly, just when you’ve lost all will to continue reading; page 47, or 48, or 52 comes along to save the day! This is when you receive a little shock of excitement. Perhaps a new character with an inspiring life story is introduced, or perhaps you begin to notice a feud arising between two of your favorite people in your book, whatever happens in these pages, it keeps you on edge. And we all know that If a book keeps you on edge; It’s a good book.

 

Here are some of my favorites: 

 

The Secret Life of Bees:- Sue Monk Kidd

 

Forrest Gump:- Winston Groom

 

The other side of midnight:- Sidney Sheldon 

 

The Dharma Bums:- Jack Kerouac 

 

The Shining:- Stephen King

 

 

© 2017 Mira


Author's Note

Mira
Thank you for taking the time to read this :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

a good book to me should be a interesting subject,
it should be interesting,and each paragraph should hold your attention,and make you want to read more,the ending of the book should not be apparent in the middle of the book,a wide vocabulary should be a must

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mira

6 Years Ago

I 100% agree! To me, a good book has to hold your attention and pull you in to this new, amazing rea.. read more
 wordman

6 Years Ago

my pleasure mira
mrstatus

6 Years Ago

nice post and title good
www.mrstatus.in



Reviews

I find your concept of what makes a good book very interesting. I have self-published two. They are both available on Kindle or could be purchased by ordering them through Barnes and Noble. One is: The Courtship of Johns' Wife and the other is Anne and George: A love Story. In the second one, Anne and George are teenagers.




Posted 6 Years Ago


According to me, every person has different perspective to what a good book is. I appreciate your efforts to put up with what is good book to you. Its very rare that a person find words to express themselves on such topics.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Mira

6 Years Ago

Yes, I 100% agree with you Anjali! It is very rare, but i'm glad I did it. You should try writing sh.. read more
Well you said much about how a book should be....so no more thoughts from me except agreeing every word of your's....
I enjoyed it...:)

Posted 6 Years Ago


Mira

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much Surya! Much appreciated :)
Surya

6 Years Ago

MY plsr...:)
a good book to me should be a interesting subject,
it should be interesting,and each paragraph should hold your attention,and make you want to read more,the ending of the book should not be apparent in the middle of the book,a wide vocabulary should be a must

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mira

6 Years Ago

I 100% agree! To me, a good book has to hold your attention and pull you in to this new, amazing rea.. read more
 wordman

6 Years Ago

my pleasure mira
mrstatus

6 Years Ago

nice post and title good
www.mrstatus.in

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

309 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 17, 2017
Last Updated on May 18, 2017
Tags: Reading

Author

Mira
Mira

Bangalore, Karnataka, India



About
Hi! My name is Mira and I have had a passion for writing and reading for almost three years now. I appreciate all reviews and just send me a message if you would like to me to review some of your .. more..

Writing
Letters to Rachel Letters to Rachel

A Story by Mira


Savitri's Legend Savitri's Legend

A Story by Mira



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Teacher The Teacher

A Poem by Raj Sahu


Goodbye... Goodbye...

A Poem by Zephyr