Howl

Howl

A Poem by The Tea Party Mouse.
"

This is dedicated to my last dog, Bruno, a French Mastiff. There is no doubt in my mind that dogs share the same lineage with wolves.

"

Dig, captive dog

Ignore the calls of your name

 

The fence, under your jaws

Breaks and comes away

Beneath your massive paws

The hard red earth moves

 

Breathe, and just be free

Shrug off your given role

Be what you were meant to be

What beats inside your heart

 

Never-ending field and fiery sky

The sun sets low into the lake

Suddenly, your sharp yellow eye

Spies prey in a flash of white and grey

 

Howl, free dog

Mother Nature incites within, a flame

 

© 2010 The Tea Party Mouse.


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I can't imagine how hard it would be to lose a dog.. I am not looking forward to the day my own dogs will leave :( Beautiful poem; great job :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Kieta!

9 Years Ago

Today I found out my dog has an enlarged heart and a tumor that is probably cancerous. We're waiting.. read more
The Tea Party Mouse.

9 Years Ago

I am so sorry to hear about your dog. :( My condolences.
This is truly an amazing write! I work with dogs all day and I can't tell you how much I enjoy and agree with this write. It's so fun and personable to a dog person like me. Fantastic use of color, broadly stroked like a painting of words. Surely this is publishable somewhere!

Posted 14 Years Ago


How cool this was. My coworker just lost a dog yesterday that followed him to work, long story, anywho, I'm glad I found this tonight, what a wonderful relationship you two must have had, and I'm sure you still do in ways.

Very lovely Poetess!
Antonio :)


Posted 14 Years Ago


I liked it very much! I especially liked the part about shrugging of the role, it reminds me of dogs that are kept for show and not for love and how they want to be free. Great job :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


So mastiff and powerful in its say to the final audience!

Liked a lot.

Thank you.

Raja

Posted 14 Years Ago


Aww Bruno hugs....I didn't know him but I still get teary thinking of him. Then again I'm a mush. Great poem dedicated to him!

Posted 14 Years Ago


It is a great poem, animals are so predictable and yet at the in the same manner they aren't. Being free from a place or someone is the best feeling you can have or get. You feel so alive and able to do anything that comes your way. Very nice job!!!thanks for sharing.

Posted 14 Years Ago


What a beautiful, insightful piece, flowing with the magnificence of this wonderful dog... Alive with the vibrance of nature and fire, you let us see the depth and richness of his life... Powerful!

Posted 14 Years Ago


Animals are very cool to watch. Such energy comes from no-where when they desire. A excellent poem. I like the story and your ending.
Coyote

Posted 14 Years Ago


Last year I buried Bonnie, the most intelligent Border Collie in the world, and Clyde, a doberman who learned a lot from her.
Here the beach dogs are descended from abandons, and have what I call "ancient memories". They follow white folk and sit, beg and roll over and die for the queen.
You have taken it one or two steps further back to prehistorics, and you are probably right.
Good idea!

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1033 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 11, 2010
Last Updated on January 11, 2010
Tags: dogs, wilderness, poetry, identity

Author

The Tea Party Mouse.
The Tea Party Mouse.

Denver, CO



About
Traveling and writing is my dream. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..