And She Left Her Life Behind

And She Left Her Life Behind

A Story by Nina St. Moritz
"

Ah. See? This is where my obsession with Rumbelle comes out. For those of you who don't know what Rumbelle is, it's a relationship from my favorite show, ABC/Disney's "Once Upon A Time."

"
From the second she left the small cell and her heart behind, she knew that there was no place she would ever call home again. No bed would comfort her, no roof would cover her, no walls would protect her. Even in the warm halls of her father's manor, she knew she would find no respite from the haunting grief that even now plagued her every step away.

She turned and looked back, just to see if he would bother to watch her leave.

He would not.  His sly voice, so forced in that moment, sounded in her thoughts: My power means more to me than you.

She blinked back the sting of his words and heard her comment that had brought them from his lips.

You're a coward, and no matter how thick you make your skin, that doesn't change.

His shoulders were slumped, his head bowed. His hands were folded in front of him, the glint of his gleaming skin sending a shaft of pain through her heart as she memorized this image, the portrait of a broken man who refused to love.

I knew this was a trick. I knew you could never care for me.

With silent tears streaming down her face, she turned and began the long and lonely journey back to what had been her home before. She climbed the stairs out of the dungeons, winding her way out of the darkness into the castle's frozen halls. The flames of the torches and chandeliers that had once brought light and heat to the stone rooms were extinguished. Nothing remained of the brief joy just an hour before.

You could've had happiness if you just believed that someone could want you. But you couldn't take the chance.

She gasped and stumbled when she entered the grand dining hall. It was dark, in both the lack of light and the oppressive atmosphere. Yet the gloom did not phase her so much as the state of complete chaos the room was in. The displays on pedestals around the hall were all on the floor. The thick rugs glistened with shattered glass, reminiscent of fallen tears. The cupboards on one wall were splintered and destroyed, bashed to pieces, along with the items within. And, glowing faintly in a streak of moonlight at the base of a pillar beside the fireplace, were the remains of the delicate china set she had grown so familiar with. Their white fragments were a stark contrast to the dark wood floor, like the pale corpses of a terrible rage. Her eyes flashed to the tray that still lay on the oak table. Sitting alone on the table-top was the small cup that would be all he had left to remember her by. The smooth lip of the cup was interrupted by a small chip, the scar that she had given it accidentally.

It's just a cup.

Maybe it wasn't anymore. She hoped that he would realize what a symbol it had become in the past moments. Such an elegant piece, though chipped, was still useful. Their love, for she refused to believe that he did not love her, was all too much like that cup. Chipped, but still there, still purposeful. And more than a decorative item to be locked away.

All you'll have is an empty heart and a chipped cup.

She closed her eyes. He had released his fury on his earthly things, those items that would've meant so much to any man.

No one, no one can ever, ever love me!

Yet despite all of his anger, he had paused at that cup, the inhuman rage that had consumed him stilled in that small reminder of her. It gave her a tiny shred of hope.

Now you've made your choice, and you're going to regret it. Forever.

With a shaky breath, she continued on her way through the hall and paused at the door, glancing back at the table. In the center, a tall vase had been knocked on its side. A long-stemmed rose rested on the cold wood, many of its velvet petals scattered across the table-top. Quickly, she returned and rescued the poor flower, refusing to remember the moment she had received it.

Is this you being the hero and killing the beast?

Before she could talk herself into staying, attempting to make him understand, she left the hall and entered the gloomy foyer. The massive oak doors stood tall before her and as she stared at them, apprehension twisting in her gut, she knew again the fear that leaving this place had given her earlier that day.

If I'm never going to know another person in my whole life, can't I at least know you?

There was no more time to pause, to doubt. Going back was only another dead end. The only way to make him see the truth in her love was to make him see the strength of her heart. To turn back would show him only that she was vulnerable and would crumble if he held out long enough. No, she must go on.

You think you can make me weak? You think you can defeat me?!

As she pushed open the doors and stepped outside, a blast of frozen air lashed her skin, whipped her hair. It was cold, so cold. She had to walk all the way back in this chill night. Silly that she would think of that then, but at the same time, all too understandable. She forced her path against the gale, down the stone steps and onto the wide cobbles, heading ever so slowly away from the only place she would forever wish to be.

You just don't think I could love you.

She paused for just another second at the gate and turned back to set her eyes one last time upon the castle. So cold and empty, the windows like frozen eyes filled with despair. Would this place ever see light again? Would she ever return? She had to believe she would, or she would never be able to leave.

You had a life before this. Friends, family. What made you choose to come here with me?
Heroism. Sacrifice. I always wanted to be brave. I figured, do the brave thing and bravery would follow.
And what about your betrothed?
To me, love is layered. Love is a mystery to be uncovered. I could never truly give my heart to someone as superficial as he.
Why did you come back?
I wasn't going to. Then something changed my mind. Any curse can be broken...

True love's kiss can break any curse...

You were freeing yourself!

Any curse can be broken...

Another tear slid down her cheek as she turned away from the castle, the home that would forever hold her heart. With a deep breath, she stepped past the gates and started down the road. Ahead was only her breathing grave and she left her life behind.

© 2012 Nina St. Moritz


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

nice story

Posted 11 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

245 Views
1 Review
Added on May 13, 2012
Last Updated on May 13, 2012
Tags: Rumbelle, Once Upon A Time, OUAT, Rumplestiltskin, Belle

Author

Nina St. Moritz
Nina St. Moritz

Near San Bernadino, CA



About
25. Female. California. Wattpad: http://wattpad.com/MissPotionsOwl NaNoWriMo: http://nanowrimo.org/participants/Monstaccato Email: [email protected] more..

Writing