Six Years

Six Years

A Story by Miss Minni
"

It started with a dance and lasted for six years, but why does it have to end? Because knights don't actually marry princesses, not unless they happen to be princes.

"

As I walked the length of the Irman throne room towards the dais where my royal parents sit with the foreign king and queen, I try to keep my head held high though I have never felt more vulnerable. My train whispers along the marble floor as I mount the steps and my father leads me to my seat. Everyone watches me, the pretty, unmarried heir to the Suhalen throne, waiting for the announcement of my marriage. I am shivering in my thin silk, but I know it isn't from the cold.

 

I am wondering if I want Ethan to come or not. Do I want him to see me become engaged to someone else, in my own selfishness to see him one last time? Do I really need to see those sweet brown eyes and his sunny smile? I don't know if he would give me strength or break my resolve to do what is best for my people.

 

I knew all along that I could not marry him, though I have hoped for six years that somehow it might change. He came to Suhale as part of the Irman delegation, three short days after being knighted. He was the solemn second son of a mildly-wealthy lord, chosen for his ability with languages and calm personality.

 

I was named for our capital city, Maripe, though I was born in Sacred Lake. I was planning to leave for my home two days after the ball, everything was packed, but first I had to greet the foreigners. I did not have a good opinion of the Irman people, but that changed when I danced with Ethan.

 

Neither of us were very excited about the dance. Ethan simply didn't want to dance with anyone, and I would have rathered dance with a Suhalen who knew the steps. But I have always been a good princess, always doing what is expected of me and he could hardly say no to the future queen. "Do they always watch you, Your Highness?" He asked me.

 

"Every moment of my life. I will be their queen."

 

"I cannot imagine. They are watching you, not me, but I am still uncomfortable."

 

I laughed. "They are watching you was well. The entire delegation is under intense scrutiny. There are some, like my uncle, who want to go to war with Irma again. Uncle believes that if we threw our whole effort into it, we could conquer Irma."

 

"You probably could," He noticed the look of shock on my face and hastily explained. "Suhale is much larger than Irma. There are more people, more farmland, more forests, more mines. You have more of everything."

 

"We have fewer knights with your honesty."

 

He blanched. "I am sorry Your Highness. I did not mean to overstep."

 

"You didn't. Few people are ever honest with royalty because they think we will not like it. My uncle is probably where they got that idea. But I prefer the truth, and I will always give high esteem to those who do not lie to me."

 

"I will not lie to you, Princess. I think it would be a worthy endeavor, to gain the esteem of a woman so great as yourself." The song came to an end, but we did not move apart. We kept dancing as the musicians began another song.

 

"I am leaving in two days, for my home. Would you like to come with me? My father was telling me during dinner that he wants a member of the delegation to join me, so that it does not seem as if I am slighting Irma. I have to go, there was an earthquake."

 

"I would very much like to go with you. I had hoped to see as much as Suhale as possible."

 

"There is nowhere more beautiful than Sacred Lake. It is in the crater of a volcano, with a little island in the middle that holds the ruin of a five hundred year old tower. I will take you there."

 

"I cannot wait."

 

We left for Sacred Lake and stayed there for a year and a half. The entire time is as a dream to me, the best dream I ever had. But it was not all idyllic. Four months after going back to my palace, Ethan saved my life.

 

I was sitting in the antechamber, putting on my boots because we were going to ride out in the snow. The carriage was waiting and I was so excited to show him my home after the first snowfall. As soon as Ethan entered the room I stood up and we walked outside. It was the oddest sensation. Suddenly I couldn't hear anything, and strange colors and shapes began to cloud my vision. I don't remember falling but Ethan kept me from cracking my skull open on the stone steps.

 

I awoke in his arms, a minute or so later. He was frightened, and the entire castle seemed to be in a panic. He carried me up to my room and the physician was summoned. I was diagnosed with a fainting sickness that came from not having strong blood pressure. I was kept abed for a week and, while I didn't faint again, I kept getting dizzy when I stood.

 

Ethan was always at my side, when it was proper. We became very close in those days when I was ill. My illness has never gone away, but I have been doing so well with it lately. Now I am not so sure that I can stand up, I may simply faint into the arms of my new betrothed.

 

Ethan and I did not have a quick blooming, whirlwind love. We fell in love over the course of six years. To celebrate the signing of the new treaty between my father and the King of Irma, Ethan and I traveled to his homeland so that I may sign the treaty with the Irman heir. We would go on a grand progess throughout the land show the common people that now we were allies.

 

The best part of the trip was seeing Lambardy, which is strikingly similar to Sacred Lake, only much smaller. His parents and siblings welcomed me warmly and I hated when the progress moved on. I believe Ethan did to, he wanted to stay in the home he hadn't seen in six years.

 

But that progress, our stay in Suhale, it's over now. I know I should have my eyes open, but I feel so ill that I cannot. I know I will faint when I stand, I can feel that the pressure in my blood is weak. The whole world will think that the one-day Queen of Suhale is weak, they will not respect me, and I will still have to marry this young Irman prince.

 

I think my mother knows that I am ill. She is on the other side of my father though, and cannot say anything because she would interrupt the Irman king. The room breaks into applause when he announces that I will marry his son, but I want to cry. But I do not cry. I open my eye, lift my chin, and do my royal duty. I sign the treaty with the Crown Prince of Irma, promising that I will uphold it when I am queen, and then I promise to marry his brother.

 

I can see Ethan watching me, and I think he wants to cry as much as I do. But he won't, any more than I will.

 

 

My wedding gown is beautiful. It is such a light blue, heavily embroidered with cream, pink, and blue flowers. There are pearls and glass beads, gold fixtures, and a veil of lace almost thirty feet long. I know I look beautiful, with my copper hair unbound around my waist and my lips painted with ocher. I have never worn a crown this heavy before, and I will not wear it again until I am queen.

 

I walk up the aisle past all of the nobles, the royals, my parents, his parents. I square my shoulders and prepare to do my royal duty. I can never see Ethan after this. I do not trust myself against that temptation. My people must come first.

 

The priest begins the rites and I hold my head up and close my eyes. They can't see me through my veil anyway. He cites a certain cue and I place my ring on the prince's finger, as he places his on mine. Then his hands grip my veil, to toss it back so that I have to look him in the eye as I swear to be his wife.

 

My heart may as well not beat anymore, because the pressure in my blood is too weak for it to matter. I can't hear what is being said, though my mother has stood up, I can see her outline through my veil. She knows I'm ill.

 

He throws back my veil and right as I could swear that I am going to faint and not have to do my duty today, maybe I'll do it tomorrow, something catches hold of me. Nothing will ever hold my attention quite like those warm brown eyes.

 

© 2012 Miss Minni


Author's Note

Miss Minni
I hope people get it. Some might not, but if they don't they need to read it again. This was written at 3:00 am! Yay! Now I'm going to sleep until about 5:00 pm!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Odd how the night brings more inspiration then the day sometimes. I loved the ending, I think I understood the surprise at the end, but then again I could be wrong. I hope Im not though.
Wonderful work Miss Minni.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Grinning like an idiot :D

Great creations happen in the night ;)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

366 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 24, 2012
Last Updated on September 24, 2012
Tags: Short Story, Miss Minni

Author

Miss Minni
Miss Minni

Greenville, SC



About
I'm Minni, like most on here I'm an aspiring writer. I have been writing novels since I was twelve, though I haven't finished them yet. Right now I'm writing two series, Wild Heart and Creation. I'm t.. more..

Writing