This I believe

This I believe

A Story by Missy Moooooo

   I believe that disability is not a reason for failure. I have a disability, my whole life I blamed everyone for my issues. It wasn’t fair, so I just let others feel like it was their fault. I never tried in school I told my mom that I was not worth it. But in the end I know that I am able to exceed all and be true to myself. Learning is more important than hearing is...I am not a failure because I do not hear well. I am a winner because I know that I have a disability and I have chosen to rise above it. I remember the first day I received my first pair of hearing aids. I am who I was made to be, and just because of my disability this does not limit me from achieving my dreams of being a Lawyer. I remember hearing the beautiful whispering sound of the Air dancing through the Air Conditioner, the sound the tires make when the car moves, and even the light humming of a cars engine all for the first time in my life. I had no clue how I got to hear these new sounds, but it was a blessing. I had no idea that these sounds were real, and it was hard to focus on my life at first. I hated wearing them because I would get headaches or people would laugh at me in school. I never understood why I had extra help in school and I personally blamed my parents for making me this way. With many years of anger and frustration I gave into my parents helping me out. To many people have laughed at me and have asked me why I needed these devices in my ears. I just looked at them and smiled stating that these things are what allow me to hear, without them I would not hear. I would not listen to what they’re saying. So long story short, these little expensive devices are what saved my life. My disability does not make me automatically dumb, I am strong-willed and as powerful as I may be. I know that I can do whatever I set my mind to, just because I do not hear as well as hearing people do does not limit me to anything. Sure at times it is hard to hear and hearing aid batteries are quite expensive; it is still a blessing to have the capability to have these hearing aids. I believe that society should not limit people to certain jobs solely because people like me cannot hear. Even now I find it weird to hear what I can: the flopping of ones flip-flop, or perhaps the soft marvelous purrs of a cat, but I know that this is how I was made. I was made to learn how to hear without exactly hearing. I believe I can rise above this idea that society has against disability.

© 2013 Missy Moooooo


Author's Note

Missy Moooooo
There's a site about things people believe in, this is my version of what I believe in. It may not be perfect. But I need help I would like to turn some of this essay into an awesome Personal Statement for College. Please help me, whoever wants to help.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Always be true to yourself Mellie.. No matter what this write was very emotional and made me very sad but it was still a very good write awesome:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


A poem with a lot of truth done by a creative and compassionate person and writer...Thank you for sharing...:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Missy Moooooo

10 Years Ago

You're welcome. Thank you for reviewing. :)
Sami Khalil

10 Years Ago

My pleasure...:)
wow...this amazingly written in a very precise and crisp manner .... hitting the sensitive issue in a very nice manner .......
so encouraging ......I am gona suggest people to read this one :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Missy Moooooo

10 Years Ago

Tuvi,
I totally appreciate you suggesting this writing to others. It means a lot to me. I wan.. read more
tuvi

10 Years Ago

your most welcome dear
This was wonderful!!! I wish everyone could read this! You are such an amazing person I was definetly encouraged by this! Wording and everything was perfect!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Missy Moooooo

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much! :)
Aw Mel you are beautiful and amazing, hearing aids or no hearing aids :) Jesus made you very special

Posted 10 Years Ago


Missy Moooooo

10 Years Ago

Thank you Kelly!
You go girl! Personal Statement = " No one is as deaf as the man who will not listen." Or something like that. Great writing!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Missy Moooooo

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much. This is really going to help me.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

356 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 18, 2013
Last Updated on June 18, 2013

Author

Missy Moooooo
Missy Moooooo

Cowtown ;) , PA



About
18, Freshman in College Criminal Justice Major :DDD more..

Writing