The Dark Dance with Lilacs

The Dark Dance with Lilacs

A Story by modtoddinc
"

Written for a contest.

"


He entered the room. Space uncontainable; a universe of absolute mass, the darkness held a certain weight as if his eyelids were heavy velvet curtains hanging from the stars. He attempted to pull the ropes and lift the veil but failed. In his weakness he sensed movement yet remained blind and uncertain: powerless to move even himself.

Snapping and crackling heat waves washed over him but there was no light. He drooped down, sagging like a thirsty flower. His palms dripped beads of dark unseen sweat. His breath was ragged; his chest tight. He felt crushed inside this vast black hole.

Where was he?

It occurred to him.
He re-membered.
Slowly piecing his life together.

His mind.
A depressed state of total darkness inside his own mind.

The Room.

How did this happen?
How had he arrived here?
And more importantly, was there relief? Any sort of escape?

Movement.
He focused all his thoughts towards a perceived intuitive movement. Was he imagining? He was blind and weak. It was possible. Hallucinating. Going crazy...

No! There was grace in this moving... Serenity. Cosmic order. He centered himself.

Calling himself to engage his other senses; he listened... Silence. He reached out to touch... Nothing. He tried to taste the heavy air... Only thickness on his tongue. He smelled. What was that? A fragrance? Faint and far away. As weak as he felt.
False. He was tricking himself.

No, there it was again: renewal.

Lilacs.

Slight streamers of light purple crossed over the horizon of his corneas. He smiled. He remembered Love.

Now he relaxes. He subjects himself. Giving himself up freely to service in lilacs and love.

Renewal washes over him. The curtains slowly rise under the scrutiny of his anticipation and hope. His body becomes lighter. He floats. He is willing. He rises.

Behold! Sol. The sun warms his soul to his innermost core. He opens his eyes to a vast blue sky filled with yellow warmth. He basks.

Soon the stars can be seen twinkling from the last rays of the sun against an ocean of black; the moon appears full and radiant. There is always light in the world. All that is required is participation. At last he understands. He is ALIVE!

The Dance.


By Todd R. Joslyn 9/15

© 2015 modtoddinc


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Cool story. I love it. You really have ivolved in your writing. :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


I simple Love this! This captivated me; the words found a home in my heart as my ears didn't want my voice to stop reading; I simple Love this.

Posted 8 Years Ago


this is certainly an intriguing story todd.i really enjoyed it !

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A beautifully compelling story. It flowed well and held my interest all the way through. Well written and a wonderful submission to my contest.

Thank you for joining in!

Helena

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

295 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 18, 2015
Last Updated on September 18, 2015

Author

modtoddinc
modtoddinc

Tacoma, WA



About
I write what I feel with honesty, and integrity. I love art in all it's forms, especially poetry and multi-media. I love to read, watch movies, play music, and study comparative mythology. I hope to o.. more..

Writing
2022 2022

A Poem by modtoddinc



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


FIGHT... FIGHT...

A Poem by Jamestown