A Bachelors in English

A Bachelors in English

A Poem by Moflo
"

An Ode to Our Educations

"
The beach now renders sand and stone,
Occasionally, the salty tide
Runs its hands as undertones
Along your frail and bitter sides
And, in seeping in what they confide,
Uncover fossils, unused bones!

While Albion produces waves
That swallow poets in their prime,
Some burning embers mark the graves
Where Keats and Byron spend their time
Developing some unread rhymes
That spit out phlegm amid the slaves.

For dollar-flying industries,
Provoking thoughts for unused time
Spent critiquing mysteries
Of Nature, only when sublime,
Speak louder than our musing mimes,
And subdue new Antigone's.

Dead now is Wordsworth, Burns, and Donne
Berryman, Whitman, and Spicer,
From their words, we'll spew up clones,
To organize their motives nicer;
"Putting trees in deli-slicers
Efficiently revives the tone."

And staring up into the sky
In perfect silence, while the learn'd
Lecturers propose idle why's,
Afraid of life's established burn,
You see a plane; and in return,
Realize we're bred to never fly.

© 2011 Moflo


Author's Note

Moflo
There is an underlying theme here of technology vs literature, which is why so much focus is put on Romantic Poets. Above that, the final stanza mimics Walt Whitman's poem, "When I Heard the Learn'd Astronomer"

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Forgive me, Reviews, but I found your review to be highly nonconstructive. It appears to me that you have merely slathered as much negativity as you could within 2-3 sentences while, perhaps at best, skimming the above poem. You have made statements that serve as non sequiturs, but perhaps could have been found productive if you maybe cited an example of what you were saying rather than boisterously spewing insults. The easiest criticism is the negative one, and the fact that you jump from poem to poem offering the negative counter-perspective suggests nothing about your intellectual and much about your work ethic, or lack thereof. On top of your negativity, the fact that you have the audacity to say, in your profile, that you offer "real" reviews when you actually offer slander is rather comical. Have a good day.

Posted 12 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I really love poems with underlying themes since they are much enjoyable to read for me. You did great with this one. At most, I liked best the last part.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I like the perspective you took on this poem. My favorite part was the last stanza, and in particular the last two lines. Well done. Keep on penning.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Probably no one could write about modern times as good as someone who understood the times that passed would. Probably that possibility is a fact. You wouldn't fulminate against the industrial machine if you didn't feel for the tree that was processed through its slicing blades. You wouldn't defend the use of wings for flying, if you didn't know that flying offers a bird the vision that no man could achieve.

But if you have a gun, and you like to shoot birds with it, because you think that the best bird is the bird that contemplates heavenly issues, from ground level to divine hell, this poem goes to you then!

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Me
this is an amazing write

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wowww, an American-Italian intellect, graduated for me already! the poetic flow of your words, make us think and really suck into the poem, as the word suck sounds odd, but you know what I mean haha...as you liked my poem, ~ You Rock, I think I understand now why we had this simulair thoughts, well ~ You Rock! and this is such a great written piece...All the imagery, and wise word choises you cover up with diplomacy, I really enjoyed reading this piece, into my favs. I think of putting it into the kitchen, :D this time.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Well I did enjoy this poem. I'm also doing a Bachelors of Arts, and I've reached a conundrum of wether to major in English or Creative Writing. I am leaning towards English because I feel there's a lot to learn from example of other, and I can always minor in Creative Writing if I must. Anywho, less of me, more of you. The reference to Whitman's "When I Heard the Learn'd Astronomer" as well as the other few poets mentioned combined with the age-old format of an "ode" rendered me giddy to say the least. You definitely bared your intellect in this poem, and the whole thing through and through is quite impressive. I have to say my favorite stanza was hard to choose but--
"While Albion produces waves
That swallow poets in their prime,
Some burning embers mark the graves
Where Keats and Byron spend their time
Developing some unread rhymes
That spit out phlegm amid the slaves",

definitately won that decision. The reference to Byron, Keats, and Wordsworth took my back to grade 11 and 12 Lit-AP courses, and I can't say I mind that. The underlying theme is also the topic to many conversations and heated discussions I've had in the past with friends and family. Alas the question is if you choose to be the "Reasonable man" and adapt to the world, or be the "unreasonable man" and fight for the world to adapt to you? The last line "We're bred to never fly" is a strong one. I think that part of being able to appreciate literature is being able to recognize and understand the significance of its original format or physical structure. If but a small part, it is a significant one to me, personally. This is why I hate "e-books" with a passion. Anywho, before I go off on a tangent, I'd just like to say wonderful job (redundance not intended) and I hope that I find equally stimulating works from you :P.

~Adora

PS: Please excuse any spelling errors in the above review. I've put thought into this, but I haven't the time to proofread! Ciao!



Posted 12 Years Ago


Mike, you don't have to defend yourself or your work. Your creative genius is better spent writing more riveting and thought provoking pieces such as this. He's creating his own karmic demise...effortlessly. Although, I do have to applaud your well composed retort...fierce, yet exuding integrity. Nicely done...on both "pieces".

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I'm actually going for my BA in English lol! I really love your writing and you are quickly becoming one of my favorite poets with every poem that I read. This one is going in my library :) I love your use of words, images and the underlying theme and concept within your work. It is one of those poems I'd hear in one of my English classes that we'd used as a point of discussion. Impressive work, Mike.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

a master craftsman of the written word...well done x

Posted 12 Years Ago


*sigh* I only finished Freshman English...
Mike, you've completely exposed your brilliant intellect here. I loved hoe you worked Tech vs. Lit. The italicized sentence just killed me!
Excellent poetry. Those poetic Icons that you mention here would be proud.


Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2192 Views
42 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on April 28, 2011
Last Updated on May 3, 2011

Author

Moflo
Moflo

NY



About
I am a 26 year old recent college grad trying to establish myself. Recently moved back to NY from Pennsylvania and looking for work. Now working on becoming an English teacher. more..

Writing
Gift Horses Gift Horses

A Poem by Moflo



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..