The Jackal and The Wolf

The Jackal and The Wolf

A Story by MoriartyMesa
"

July 5th

"
Once a long time before man's past, when the Earth was flat and the Gods were embraced by the mortals. Two sons, born of Antaeus and his wife Fuath who themselves had the blood of old an anicent spirits of Earth and Nature. And like their parents these were no ordinary son's, they were children of Nature, stronger than mortals and far more clever, but as vain as children of  fallen gods. Jackal was the eldest, brave, handsome, strong, fearless. He had his mothers grace and charms, he could out run a fawn and still have time to seduce a young maiden. It was he who on the Wings of a Falcon took victory on the field of battle against the demonic devils of the mountain. Victory after victory, glory after glory, Jackal name and fame had run across the the lands of man, heroes and monsters, all attempted to steal his victories. But as the swords had fallen, the beast and monsters had been tamed, the Jackal had no equal. His mighty grip ripped  the horns of the Mad Bull plaguing the lands of Sand and Sun, it was also said; no woman could resist his charm, some tell he bedded a hundred princesses of a hundred different kingdoms, as he won in war, he won in lust and a thousand stolen kisses, noblewoman and common alike. For a woman, to welcome the Jackal to her bed was to wet the lips of Aphrodite and receiving her blessings, but to be off in the morning with the speed of Pan before the a jealous husband may come home. The Jackal was the longing a kept woman moaned while with her husband, and he adored it.

The younger son Wolf, not as well polished or as charming as his elder brother, his talents were of the nature of his name sake. He was a strong as his father and just as wise as his grand mother. It was his strength that held the tides of the sea from collapsing a small village of the green lands. It was he who fought the great Ogre Morgan and sank his body in a river that bent the dying waters of the Dead Sea. Jackal may have had the charms, but his brother had the wisdom. Back to back they fought against the Hordes of the selfish kings, monsters of the underworld, legions of untold horrors. But the brothers always returned, sometimes bloodied, sometimes near broken, but foes always defeated and victories held high in their arms, always in the style of returning heroes. Stories would be told and songs would be sang, as The Jackal and Wolf had returned from yet another victory. How the daughters of farmers and shop keepers would kneel before the Gods, in tender hopes the Jackal would smile there way. How the parent's would sigh and whisper grateful thanks to the Gods, for the son's returning to their home.

"Thank you great and wise Athena for returning our son's,
thank you great and all loving wind spirits for the safe return of our son's. Thank you great and powerful Gods"   

But in all things, wine, women and song, the showers of praise were not enough for the Jackal. Thanks of Kings and heroes could not feed the growing hunger of this near God. Decent lands, tales of treasure, glory, honor, all cried for the name of 'Jackal'. All cried for his glory, but all his heart begged for was adventure.

"It is the folly of the weak to not seek glory,
shall I tend the Winds?
Shall I tend the Waters?
Or shall I need bring our House to such Glory,
Glory that must beg pardon of Hunhau,
as I fill his Halls with those whom fall by my hand!"


 So he sought out his adventures, from the darkest ocean floors to the most haunted of forests, the Jackal had sought the dangers of man, gods, beasts, and still his need became greater. Every drop of blood, bead of sweat, broken sword and shattered shield, he fought on. It was his speed and cunning the trapped the black witch of the Horne in a grain of sand. His sword removed the head of the one-eyed dragon of the far eastern sea's, his spear removed the bog monsters of the far western land and this was still not enough.  His adventures and escapes had become the talk from the Black shores to the southern jungles, "Jackal" the name on the lips of Kings and Bandits alike.  His exploits excited a daughter or Gaul to a war with the rising sons of Aries. And in all the time, the younger Wolf, minded the mysteries of the mountain. Directing the wind to blow, and the waters to remain calm as ships passed.

As his elder brother sought adventure, Wolf had been given the task to maintain the order and balance of nature. An aging son of Earth and elderly mother of the winds, placed the task upon his shoulders. 'When your brother returns, he shall bare some of the weight.' But seasons pass, one adventure lead to six. The duties of nature barred their weight upon the youngest son. But his hands remained strong, ropes of Wind and Waters controlled, side by side with Barrier or Lands and the All Father of the Frozen North, the three maintain a balance of Nature, Justice and Future of mankind. But as the seasons pass, the Winds and Waters become more demanding on the hands of Wolf. But in wisdom, love, and balance. His lyre strokes:

"My arms are strong,
my mind is clear,
the winds shall blow,
the waters shall be clear,
once the Jackal comes,
my labors..................
Shall be shared."

Upon the rising of the sun to the kiss of the moon, Wolf held his post. Holding the ropes of Wind, Water and waiting. But as he waited his brother sought more adventures, more glory, more victory. The name of 'Jackal' shall be on the lips of every man, woman and child. Beasts shall remain in the dark forests, dragons in their hidden caves and cruel demi-gods hide as the Jackal crosses their lands. And still, this was not enough for the Jackal. Until one day, one day tales of a dragon crossed his ears like a sweet song, But this was no ordinary beast or monster, this was a cunning dragon, slayer of heroes, destroyer of towns, this dragon hid himself inside small drops. His fire turned pure hearts to stone, true hearts to rock, and heroic hearts to DUST!

"Drops of wine,
drops of blood of my foes,
drops of sweat of a sturdy woman's thighs.
Drops of a dragon!
The Gods do indeed tempt,
and shine!?

No word of doubt, no moment of second thought the Jackal had swallowed the Dragon in one tremendous drop. He had battled Giants, monsters, all sorts of manner of devilish black creatures from the darkest pits of Hades. But this dragon was more clever than a thousand scholars together, his fire burned the Jackal's blood. He felt the fire move to his arm's, leg's feet, and hand's, his sword dropped to the floor, his heart began to grow silent. Now when a child of Nature is dying the winds begin to blow cold, the waters become more fierce, and flowers begin to kneel. Far off, across the oceans and lands, Wolf held his ropes. Knowing, feeling as the ropes became wilder, only when the Icy shadow of Dis upset the tide and withered the farm lands. The Jackal fell, not from a cut of a sword of thrust of a spear, but a fire that destroyed the Heart of a child of nature. A dragon no man or God could battle and win, the heart of Wolf grew heavy, the labors of Nature ever demanding.

But he still hold his ropes, he remains at his post waiting for a brother that shall never return. Minding his duties of Wind and Waters, his grip may slacken, ships may blow of course, cities may become wet with rain. But his arms still hold true, waiting, for his labors to be shared.

© 2012 MoriartyMesa


Author's Note

MoriartyMesa

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Written very much like a classical myth, a high compliment coming from a graduate-level Classicist. I think the ending was especially authentic in this case and well-written, very dramatic without going overboard as so many do. This line made about Jackal me smile especially:

'Beasts shall remain in the dark forests, dragons in their hidden caves and cruel demi-gods hide as the Jackal crosses their lands.'

-also-

'But this dragon was more clever than a thousand scholars together, his fire burned the Jackal's blood. He felt the fire move to his arm's, leg's feet, and hand's, his sword dropped to the floor, his heart began to grow silent.'

^ f*****g yes!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MoriartyMesa

11 Years Ago

Wow, thank you. In my head it had to be told like an old tale, something an old man with his skinny .. read more
Alexandria Reece

11 Years Ago

Hell yes!



Reviews

This story has a very mythical feel to it and I noticed a lot of Judeo-Christian influence. I also sensed influence from Greco-Roman and Egyptian mythology as well as religions in which the worship of nature is a huge element. Interesting!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Mythology has always been a favor of mine…this had every bit of that in the story like… you in still the lines as a narrative write and tell the readers the legend… the ending wraps the whole plot together and the idea of the other still longing... as for the grammar and spelling... I believe this can be touched up by you and create a more solid write...

Posted 10 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Pax
very much well written like tales of the past of myths and legends. I see much like odessy's and hercules adventure.
and the ending is very much a mystery. Well done my friend, I enjoyed your tales of adventure..a story teller in nature.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Written very much like a classical myth, a high compliment coming from a graduate-level Classicist. I think the ending was especially authentic in this case and well-written, very dramatic without going overboard as so many do. This line made about Jackal me smile especially:

'Beasts shall remain in the dark forests, dragons in their hidden caves and cruel demi-gods hide as the Jackal crosses their lands.'

-also-

'But this dragon was more clever than a thousand scholars together, his fire burned the Jackal's blood. He felt the fire move to his arm's, leg's feet, and hand's, his sword dropped to the floor, his heart began to grow silent.'

^ f*****g yes!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MoriartyMesa

11 Years Ago

Wow, thank you. In my head it had to be told like an old tale, something an old man with his skinny .. read more
Alexandria Reece

11 Years Ago

Hell yes!
I think perhaps your muse was the great Homer himself!


As always, an appropriate piece of music to tie it together!

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1071 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on July 5, 2012
Last Updated on September 20, 2012

Author

MoriartyMesa
MoriartyMesa

GONZOLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!, CA



About
I am back! And in the word's of someone i met at a bus station. I cant remember. more..

Writing