Contrition

Contrition

A Poem by MrJodie
"

I wrote this after an argument with my wife that left me feeling devastated.

"
Inch by inch I crawl
From the bloody conflagration of my shame
My ego weighs down on me
Like a torn and ragged cloak
It hangs, sodden with my tears
My pride has become humiliation
 
Never before have I felt so naked
In powerful defeat have I been beaten
Cast out and afraid, I crawl
What mask, what hope, what face?
It is not my enemy who has decimated me
I am become my destroyer
 
Can anyone survive themselves?
When their lover and their life
Stands nearby calling out in fear
Like sirens to the brink of doom it seems
Another chance, another hope and still a blunder
There is no peace when the war is in the soul

© 2008 MrJodie


Author's Note

MrJodie
Tempo? Formatting? Overall feelings?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I would rush over and congratulate you on a fine poem, but I woul have to crawl.

Tom

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow, this was powerful. The flow of it all was excellent-no brief interruptions, just a clear depiction of the intense emotions.

I loved the ending as well. "There is no peace when the war is in the soul"...

This is relatable. Thank you.


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love it. Just... just love it.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Responding to the comment about "I am become my destroyer." That was completely intentional. It is olde world English, I'll admit, but it is proper. To say "I am becoming my destroyer" would imply that it hasn't fully happened or to say "I am my destroyer" would imply something more casual rather than the mystical transformation I was trying to speak of in the current tense. I could have said "I have become my destroyer" but am is far more present and powerful to me. I guess it's also a more British way of speaking, as well. In the UK one would say that they are "going to hospital" rather than "going to the hospital" as we would here in the states.

I'll confess, it's also a very subtle nod to the comment by Robert Oppenheimer, when writing about the detonation of the first atomic bomb, who said, "I'm am become death, the destroyer of worlds." Which, actually, is a derivation of a line from the text of the Bhagavad Gita.

Anyway, please keep the comments coming. It helps me learn!

Posted 16 Years Ago


...I loved this, it really is food for thought. There was one typo though, in the line "I am become my destroyer" you either need to change it to "I am becoming my destroyer" or "I am my destroyer" otherwise the verbs contradict themselves... But I loved this piece and am steeling it for my favorites...

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The war within, stronger than a battle with anyone else. Even harder when it's hard to look in the mirror into own eyes. I know this feeling. Very powerful!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

198 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 6, 2008

Author

MrJodie
MrJodie

Troutdale, OR



About
I live in Troutdale, Oregon, a suburb of Portland. I'm currently working as a computer systems administrator for a manufacturing company in Vancouver and write only as a hobby. However, I've dreamed.. more..

Writing
Mercenary Mercenary

A Poem by MrJodie



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..