Musings from the Road (Trip)A Story by Shelley Holt-Lowrey
Exactly what it says. Family road trip to visit friends and do a bit of seeing of the sights. My thoughts, from CA to NM and back....
1) There are NO DONUT STORES in Flagstaff!
2) You can get a Webelo Scout to memorize the Boy Scout Oath,
Promise, Law, Motto and Outdoor Code if you bet him a buck he
3) Native Americans are very offended by being called Indians except
when naming their trading posts, pottery and hand made by Indian
4) Native Americans are much more friendly to tourists during a
5) It takes 7 pre-sharpened pencils to work Soduko and Cryptogram
puzzles from California to New Mexico.
6) After 40 years of age, tourist attire is absolutely appropriate and in no way
7) 4 Dogs, 4 Cats and 5 People in one house makes for a very interesting trip.
8) My best friend and I are aging in the same fashion: gain the same amount of weight,
wrinkle in the same manner, and are losing our eyesight and hearing at the same time.
9) Long time friends are one of the greatest treasures of life.
10) When four teenagers you've known from the time of their conception roll their eyes
in dismay at your "old-ness", you can't help but laugh because.... well, because I've
been there too.
11) A recession is a great way to teach the value of spending time as a family rather than
12) A $5 paperweight with a scorpion inside is one of the coolest thing on earth.
13) Queen is best played very loud and sounds better at 80 mph.
14) Queen played very loud and at 80 mpg causes my husband's veins to pop out on his
15) I still don't know the words to Killer Queen.
16) It has been proven, without a doubt, that aliens either do or do not exist.
17) A 20lb male dog who has been neutered will try to mount an 85lb (very confused)
spayed female dog.
18) 15 year old girls are all the same, and their mothers are all perplexed the same.
19) Blow dryers are almost always guaranteed to die no matter where you travel with
20) Lack of cell phone reception can be very liberating.
21) Sometimes it is great to leave the camera in the car and enjoy the moment rather
than try to capture memories to enjoy later.
22) Watching 100,000 bats flying out of a big hole in the ground with 300 perfect
strangers in total silence is an experience that cannot be adequately described.
23) Walking 800' downhill is killer on the hips. Walking 800' uphill is killer on the calves.
24) A moment of absolute and complete darkness and silence 815' underground is a very
peaceful moment. (I only speak for the living.)
25) You can get really bad deli sandwiches 700' underground.
26) 700' underground deli sandwiches are not that bad when surrounded by good friends.
27) When you're taking pictures in the dark and relying on your flash, it is very easy to
forget to take off your lens cap.
28) A 5 hour drive and 3 miles of touring Carlsbad Caverns causes caustic foot odor in a
ten year old boy.
29) 10 year old boy foot odor can clear out a car really really fast.
30) It has been decided that the next time my son visits Carlsbad he will have children of
his own, and he will tell them "When I visited here, I actually had to drive in a car!"
31) 5 days away from home is both too long and too short.
32) It is impossible to speed in Phoenix due to photo enforced speed cams.
33) Doing the speed limit on a long haul is weird.
34) An 85lb dog fits quite nicely in the front passenger floorboard of a Toyota Tundra.
35) No matter how much you may miss the scarecrow, there's no place like home.36) Best rule of travel EVER: Wash your sheets before you leave home.
© 2012 Shelley Holt-Lowrey
People who liked this story also liked..