Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by MsNakura
"

Tension grows as the point in the ocean grows closer.

"
Clear blue sky, a light breeze, plenty of sunlight, and not too many waves. The perfect weather. Near the bottom of Miami-Dade, Florida, around ten people walked along a wooden dock, loading crates and pieces of equipment onto a stationed tugboat. From the wheelhouse, a man with short brown and gray hair watched over the loading of the equipment with one hand on the wheel. He watched as the last man carried a box to the boat before he turned, glancing out the opened side-door to where someone was standing next to the guardrail.

"You ready to get going?"

As the question was asked, the person shifted where they stood, looking out towards the ocean. Their arms lifted and they pulled back the hood over their head. Long, bright orange hair fell out of the hood, the ends beginning to sway along with the breeze. After the hood was removed, a girl with a pale complexion and green eyes was revealed.

With a look of determination on her face, she spoke. "Yes. We need to go now in case there are any sudden weather changes." The girl turned and entered the wheelhouse, reaching down and grabbing a radio from next to the wheel. She turned again and looked to a map that she had hung behind where the driver of the boat stood. She clicked on the radio and clicked the side button, speaking to whoever it was on the other end. "We are about to set off. Do you have everything ready on your end?"

For a moment there was only static in return, but a man's voice soon came through. "Yeah, Make sure you have all of those sensors and data collectors turned on. All of this would be for nothing if you forgot." His last sentence had a hint of irritability in it, but the girl didn't seem to care. She set the radio back down and moved out of the top of the boat, going around the front and walking down the stairs that led to the main deck. She turned the corner and stopped at the lower door, looking over to the back of the boat where boxes were being unloaded. The men were pulling out odd looking pieces of what looked like old computers and radios, strapping them securely to the deck. She slightly nodded before moving into the lower room.

"Ah! Calypso! Are we finally ready to go?" A man with a black goatee and short hair was standing in the room. When he had noticed her, he turned and approached her, giving her a quick hug. "You're father is so proud of you for doing this."

At that last comment, she narrowed her eyes and glared at him, shaking her head and turning away.

"I know that you don't think so, but my brother has always been someone who doesn't really express his feelings when he gets them."

"What feelings? After what happened with mom, he didn't have them anymore." A somewhat painful smile formed on the man's face and he set his hand on her shoulder, looking out the boat. "Do you blame him? Your mother was everything to him, and she always has been."

"Yeah, and she still is everything. She is all he cares about. No one else..."

"Don't be like that. He cares about you; you're his daughter. Plus, you look almost exactly like your mom. I don't think anyone could resist that face, " he said with a chuckle.

"I look like her. But I'm not her. So I don't matter." She moved away from him, going to sit at the small table in the corner of the room. "Why do you think he even sent me on this mission? He is willing to risk my life and everyone on this boat's if it means there is the slightest chance of getting her back. I will admit that I would have wanted to come on it anyway, but even if I didn't want to he would have forced me."

The man sighed, looking back towards her. "I can't say whether all of that is true or not. But he does care about you. Yes, he is completely dedicated to your mother and the chance that she is alive. But he isn't entirely heartless." The man then walked out of the room, going to the back of the boat to help the others with equipment. She watched him leave, but looked down at the table once he was gone.

We all want her to be alive. We all want what we saw to be true. But very few people have ever come out of this alive...and he's sending me to it.

Calypso stood, exiting the lower room and moving to the front of the boat. The sky remained cloudless and there were no signs of bad weather in any direction. It was critical that it remained that way. She heard a shout from the back of the boat that all of the loaded equipment was secured and turned on, which she hoped was correct. All of that equipment was also crucial to their mission. That equipment could do everything that they needed: sense any change in water temperature or air pressure, sense any weather changes or increased amounts of gas and chemicals, collect data of what coordinates the ship was at. There were a lot of things that those devices could detect, and all of it was recorded inside the device and sent back to HQ where her father and other researchers were waiting.

She quickly climbed back up the stairs and stood next to the wheelhouse, looking out towards the ocean again and giving a signal. The rope that kept the boat at the dock was untied and the engine was turned to life. After a quick warmup the ship began to move forward, pulling away from the dock and turning towards the left, at first moving along the shoreline before turning away and going farther toward the ocean.

"Are we making a straight-shot right into it?" She heard the captain yell the question and she shook her head. "No. As soon as we get to the border we need to stop. We need to get all of the data from before we go across and after."

It really didn't take too long before they arrived at said border, the boat coming to a stop. Calypso stared passed the front of the boat, her heart beginning to pound in her chest. This was it. There was no going back now. She turned and leaned over the guardrails, looking back towards the men at the back of the boat. "Click on all of the sensors!" She looked to the captain again, which seemed to be his cue to get on the radio again.

"We are about to go in. Did you get the data?" There was a brief 'yes' and 'go ahead in' that followed. The girl turned again, nodding to the captain before looking forward again, her hands tightly gripping the rails. The boat began to move forward, but very slowly. She let go of the rail and went into the wheelhouse again, looking back at the map hanging on the wall.

"We are crossing the border between Miami and Puerto Rico, right?" She nodded, placing a finger on the map. "Yeah. Our goal is to try and get to the center. We have to detect any and all changes. Even the slightest change in temperature could mean something is going to happen."
Even though her statement resembled that of an exaggeration, it wasn't, not in the slightest. As the boat moved forward, the entire crew grew tense, looking ahead of the boat and waiting for whatever they thought was going to happen. The girl, Calypso, tapped her finger against one specific point on the map that was marked with a black dot and was labeled 'Mom' next to it. "Don't worry mom. We are going to find you." The girl with the long red hair and green eyes turned and faced the ocean, her heart thumping in her chest and her mind whirling as the boat grew ever close to the heart of the Bermuda Triangle.


© 2018 MsNakura


Author's Note

MsNakura
There might be a few spelling mistakes, but that's only cause a part of it was done on a phone with autocorrect. Besides that, let me know what you think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

76 Views
Added on December 8, 2017
Last Updated on March 19, 2018


Author

MsNakura
MsNakura

WV



About
I guess the way to start out is I am a girl, I love to write stories, I'm big into drawing, and I'm a complete nerd. But besides that, I love supernatural, mythical, fantasy, mystery, and fiction stor.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by MsNakura