The Jester

The Jester

A Poem by Kelly Scheppers

The Jester

 

 

You took all there was of me

without ever once

committing yourself to love.

Like an unmade bed

you stripped me of my senses,

leaving me without word

or warning.

How typical of you

to walk away,

to feel no remorse

or regret.

Someday, the king of hearts will fall

then I shall seek to be

the jester.



 

© 2017 Kelly Scheppers


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Getting lost in love is something many of us can relate to.
" like an unmade bed you stripped me of my senses,leaving me without word or warning"
That line says so much. I love the way you have captured the emotions of what it can feel like to be the one left behind. Another magnificent write Kelly!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

8 Years Ago

Thank you, Dara. Your words overwhelm my heart!
I like the way the poem cuts into the character of this man. It bites as it should. On the image I see some difficulty in separation of the women's back with the wall. Not your fault dear!

Love,
Al

Posted 8 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

8 Years Ago

I thought it revealed angst...her contemplating her next move. Thank you my dear Alfred!
Alfred Kukitz

8 Years Ago

It did convincingly just the photographer in me.
Beautiful poem, Kelly, sad too in a way, everyone has already been played a jester, I guess, I certainly can relate to that. Well done. :) Rudi

Posted 8 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

8 Years Ago

Once is enough, I believe. Thank you, Rudi!
Rudi J.P. Lejaeghere

8 Years Ago

My pleasure, Kelly, have a good day. :) Rudi
Beautiful artwork and sad tale in the poetry. Be played a jester. Never a good ending. Jester can seek revenge too. Thank you dear Kelly for sharing the excellent poetry.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

8 Years Ago

It's always a pleasure seeing you, John...thank you!
Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

My pleasure and you are welcome Kelly.
He/She who laughs last laughs longest - but does the jester laugh - many jesters are themselves incapable of laughter (Robin Williams for example). I think you should abandon hopes of Jester-ship and stay the Queen of romantic-sensuality here on WC, Kelly.
The unmade bed is a cracking metaphor. Reminded me of Tracy Emins art. Another talented and strong woman.
Great piece Kel. :))

Posted 8 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

8 Years Ago

I am flattered you see me in such a way, Anto...a thousand thank you's, my friend!
the ending is spectacular! really great work. relationships are tough for most, but at least you possess a creative outlet to let your feelings shine.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

8 Years Ago

I feel very blessed to have been given such a gift of words...thank you so much!
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
dan
The King of Hearts is indicative of the keeper of the Light of Love. After your love/life has been torn asunder by the Jester you will wait until the King robs the Jester of his love...so you can then take his Jester's hat that will leave you laughing, a little "see what it's like?" message to be absorbed. Great writing, Kelly! take care...dan

Posted 8 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

8 Years Ago

Thank you, Dan. I am so proud to have your input...it means a lot to me!
the dirty rotten @&**##@@ ... men are more guilty than women ..it is a fact .. so sadly ... cavalier and hardening heart walks away without a care ... most to suffer at some point in time ...crashing to the depths below shattering in pieces ... some learn from it .. some die from it .. and some simply don't care ... the revenge of the Jester can be prolonged and great sport .. can even stack the deck eh!? great metaphor .. smart word choices .. (lovely pic as always;) and your free verse has taken a solid form .. beginning and ending with four lines ... three in the middles ... gives it added stability for the Jester to pounce :)
E.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

8 Years Ago

I love how detailed you are...you really are something! Thank you!
Some people give up in a relationship and walk away. They don't try and work it out or they don't have the stamina to. This is unfair to the one they're leaving especially if its done with no remorse or feelings. It makes you wonder if they were only there for one thing all along.

Your last stanza says a lot. Perhaps karma will bite him in the butt someday.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

8 Years Ago

I do believe it did, Tim! ...many thanks.
There is nothing worse than feeling abandon and no control of the situation. Your poem's words illustrate this painting a sad scenario. No one wants to feel that way. The phrase "like an unmade bed, you stripped me of my senses" speaks volumes to your vulnerability to them. It's quite powerful. This poem is well worded, you say so much in so little. Excellent poem.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

8 Years Ago

Thank you, Francis, for a most insightful review!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1310 Views
27 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 28, 2015
Last Updated on August 6, 2017
Tags: love, angst, deception, pain

Author

Kelly Scheppers
Kelly Scheppers

San Diego, CA



About
I was never a pearl kind of girl... always wore jeans with holes in the knees. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..