Counting Crows and November Snows

Counting Crows and November Snows

A Poem by Kelly Scheppers

Counting Crows and November Snows

 

 

There is a void

that punctuates my tears

 

A parade of years

are all that is left me,

 

to counting crows

and November snows.

© 2017 Kelly Scheppers


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This made me think of a couple that had spent so many years together and have it abruptly ended. It reminded me of my grandfather after my grandmother passed. He lived on for a several years, but was never the same. This is well use of a small amount of words. Nice job.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kelly Scheppers

8 Years Ago

I am thankful it conjured up such vivid memories for you, Francis...thank you!
Francis Orion

8 Years Ago

No thank you. It was an important time in my life, that is good to be reminded about from time to ti.. read more



Reviews

Sometimes pain by loss of a loved one or indeed - love, diminishes the logical but remaining void. Space can hurt, tis the absolute opposite of proximity - the day.to.day touch, the almost blink of air as two people pass, etc. Your words are the sum total of what's left: an near meaningless counting of time and dark shapes ahead.. alone. Sighingly magnificent in its brevity.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

8 Years Ago

Your words are such a comfort, Emma...and so beautifully said. Thank you so much!
Beautiful said, Kelly, November is a dull month, dull season time, love the spring and summer more. Well done. :) Rudi

Posted 8 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

8 Years Ago

November is the month of our Thanksgiving holiday here in the states. Do you celebrate anything lik.. read more
Rudi J.P. Lejaeghere

8 Years Ago

No, we don't, but I'll suggest it (LOL). We always can use another holiday. Without kidding, I think.. read more
this has the ring of a song Kelly, almost a life story of love in so few words, a remarkable feat that I believe only you can achieve, excellent writing my friend :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

8 Years Ago

Thank you, my good friend...your kindness rewards me!
R Smith

8 Years Ago

Your poetry is a reward to me, a special treat to read :)
I heard an elderly person tell me once that she was too old and there was nothing to look forward to anymore. However, I've learned that no matter what your age, the crows are always lurking.


Posted 8 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

8 Years Ago

I heard a flock of them squawking the other day, flying from tree to tree. It reminded me of Hitchc.. read more
I really like this.
It has an eerie simplicity, a mistiness that works its way through it, and I love your phrasing. Very evocative.
However, (and please excuse my ignorance) I feel as though you might have had something in between “A parade of years are all that are left of me //// to counting crows and November snows. Was there, at some time previous, something you may have had there? There was something about it that made me go looking to connect one additional dot...
This is a very nice piece. If it were a painting, it would leave me standing in front of it for a considerable period of time.


Posted 8 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

8 Years Ago

I kept tweaking it, but then decided to keep it the way it was. Pretty cool that you picked up on t.. read more
I look forward to the November snows, but yet I don't.

Lovely poem.

Trace

Posted 8 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

8 Years Ago

I believe that's the opinion of many, Trace. I look forward to the holidays...I'm just a kid at hea.. read more
I suddenly remembered who I was, who I am, and who I want to become..... your a magical writer on every level!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

8 Years Ago

You are a most welcoming sight, and I am very thankful!
such loneliness here...displayed by those shivering crows in a barren field, covered with snow---as the speaker reflects on life and wonders if she has accomplished anything worthwhile enough to fill the void, left from all the failures and heartaches...

we remember the tears so well, but why can't we remember more of the smiles.

excellent piece.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

8 Years Ago

I appreciate your every word, Jacob...thank you for an endearing review!
somber and so melancholy ... its not like you Kelly ;) these days of omens of winter are sobering ..and i clench every last bit before the snow hits ... it gets very cold on the plains ..because the wind is a constant ... brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr .. the is such a depth of loss in your poem ..a resignation that love will not grace the speakers life again ... i love the crows!! their call in the fall is solitary and piercing ... this is beautifully dark ... well done says i!

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1955 Views
38 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 11, 2015
Last Updated on August 6, 2017
Tags: time, snow, tears, loss

Author

Kelly Scheppers
Kelly Scheppers

San Diego, CA



About
I was never a pearl kind of girl... always wore jeans with holes in the knees. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..