A Book Upon the Shelf

A Book Upon the Shelf

A Poem by Kelly Scheppers

Image result for photography of morning coffee

A book upon the shelf

 

 

My earnest wish

is to

someday

 

become

 

a book upon

a shelf

 

my spine

straight and

narrow

 

my pages

dog-eared

and yellowed.

 

 

© 2016 Kelly Scheppers


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I feel a lot of poets want to be a book on the shelf and hope to have another young poet come long and read our work... love the words and imagery...

Posted 6 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

6 Years Ago

Thank you most kindly!
Hey what about little notes on the side?

Regards,
Al

Posted 7 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

7 Years Ago

...little notes? How about an inscription?
Simple and lovely. I really like this!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

7 Years Ago

Thank you, Neal. Nice to meet you!
What a stunning metaphor, Kelly! I remember people gasping at me as if I did some unthinkable when I folded the corners of pages. I always associated the act with love; to love something so much that you want to come back to it, and reread it until it's imprinted in your memory, but you still come back to it. I crave to be that dog-eared, yellowed book. You managed to write up my heart's desires completely.

Beautifully done! I love it.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

7 Years Ago

That means the world to me, Alice...thank you!
First time I heard the expressions you used... I will make a note to borrow them! 100pnts!!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Have you ever heard anyone say, I think I will have a glass of wine and snuggle up with a good e-reader." No. Nooks, Kindles, e-reader, they have no "spine," no SOUL. Also, I have yet to hear, "Hey, that e-book was a real swiper!" But I do love a real, "page-turner!" Plenty of soul in this short piece, and I can smell the pages, too, all dog-eared and yellowed as they are.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

7 Years Ago

So, so true, Charles!! Thank you for brightening up my day, my friend!
This was great, I could read this over and over. It's just simple but so thought provoking.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

7 Years Ago

Thank you, James. I was pretty thrilled with it after I wrote it!
wait, didn't I see a book with your name on the spine... well read and sitting right next to Shelley... ;0) you know, this may not be Barnes and Noble, but there are some really good poets here at WC, with strong backs and well read pages, appreciated for the art they create and the words they leave... I think Kelly you are among these beloved poets...

redzone

Posted 7 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

7 Years Ago

I can only say one thing about that, Curt - if I am, I am in damn good company, and loving every min.. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
1VJ
I just adore your work, it's always distinct and relatable, can't say more.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

7 Years Ago

I truly appreciate that, Paloma. Thank you!
This has two meanings for me -- to grow old gracefully, and to be remembered -- a classic.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

7 Years Ago

...just my desire to be published someday. I'd love to be remembered, though. Thank you, Kara!

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

855 Views
25 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 4, 2016
Last Updated on October 4, 2016
Tags: book, library

Author

Kelly Scheppers
Kelly Scheppers

San Diego, CA



About
I was never a pearl kind of girl... always wore jeans with holes in the knees. more..

Writing