Perhaps Hemingway had Days like These

Perhaps Hemingway had Days like These

A Poem by Kelly Scheppers

Perhaps Hemingway had Days like These

 

 

 

 

How long it has been
since last I penned

a plethora of words

 

where days and weeks

neurotically merged,

leaving me without prose

or metaphor to ponder

 

Perhaps Hemingway had days like these,
repeated attempts at metered rhymes
with nothing more

than a grocery list to show for

 

with nothing more

than a double barreled shotgun

in need of cleaning.

 

© 2019 Kelly Scheppers


Author's Note

Kelly Scheppers
The last verse was written under the assumption that Hemingway’s death was accidental, caused by a shotgun discharging while being cleaned. I read that his last few years were marked by great physical and emotional suffering, as he was also treated with electroshock therapy, which instead of improving his condition, impaired his memory, making writing impossible. To no longer be able to do the one thing he loved most simply staggers the mind.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Though quite brief, this poem gives a strong impact, especially knowing what you provided in the author's note.
This is probably the most creative and original poem I've read about writer's block. I especially enjoyed the line "a grocery list to show for" because it perfectly describes how scribbled, uninspired thoughts often look on a page. On top of that, it lead to a killer ending. Well done.

- William Liston

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kelly Scheppers

6 Years Ago

Thank you, Will. I found your review to be my reward!



Reviews

I let poems come to me when they want but I can identify with your feelings in this. I too have had plenty of grocery lists in my files.

If what you say is true, I can understand why Hemmingway woud take his ow life. For him, I'm sure writing was like having another appendage. Take that away and he must have been devastated. The emotional outlet was shut off, his ideas cut from his brain. To be stripped of your talents and being like that is something I can't imagine.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

6 Years Ago

Writing is much like breathing to me. To have it, and than to lose it is enough to drive anyone ins.. read more
Relic

6 Years Ago

Welcome Kelly. :)
leaving me without prose
or metaphor to ponder

Missing the smile on my face, I think when we join together, with both hands, it sounds the clap, not even a slap can make this sound, where One hand broken for ambiguity in chemistry, want to go back and fix that and come, what does that mean to me, is it for you or for everyone. Enough revenge is bad thing, we will just learn from mistakes of past, rather than fixing it, it happened and happened so for whatever reason it may be, no rock can be made diamond and no diamond can be closed in a dark room, to not let in shine, but still it shines, without needing a reaction, it emerges as it self, swayambhu - self existence.
I think he just needs daily one dosage of pill, to cure hermetaphosis, for hemmingway's smile. But he also mentioned, worth can be known only when it is lost or stolen or missplaced. Agreed without sorrow there is no happiness, without happinesss there is no sorrow - a mantra to balance even Human, not only this earth.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

6 Years Ago

...thank you for your insightful review, Jessy!
JessyJacob

6 Years Ago

It was too early, to message me, are you in india? Dont stay too late in the nights, someone inside .. read more
Though quite brief, this poem gives a strong impact, especially knowing what you provided in the author's note.
This is probably the most creative and original poem I've read about writer's block. I especially enjoyed the line "a grocery list to show for" because it perfectly describes how scribbled, uninspired thoughts often look on a page. On top of that, it lead to a killer ending. Well done.

- William Liston

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kelly Scheppers

6 Years Ago

Thank you, Will. I found your review to be my reward!
Hemingway is one of my favorite authors and his constant struggle with depression was something that stuck with me a long time. Your write is not only a tribute to his legacy but was penned so very elegantly, Kelly. Just love it!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Dara

6 Years Ago

Yes, I had heard about that and his death seemed at first surrounded in mystery but I guess it was t.. read more
Kelly Scheppers

6 Years Ago

No longer able to write - it must have been maddening for him.
Dara

6 Years Ago

Yes, a terribly tragic ending for such a brilliant writer.
Is there an element of want in an accident?

love,
al

Posted 6 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

6 Years Ago

I believe it was suicide. I read that the shotgun he used was the same one he used for hunting. Pe.. read more
It is sad when a creative person can no longer be creative. But I think Life has a way of consoling souls. There can be an inward peace.
I liked your free verse poem and your use of clever wording. I hope more plethora of words come to you!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

6 Years Ago

It's wonderful to reach someone new - thank you so much for visiting me today!
With Hemmingway I expect it was more. He was the right male. The male writer. So losing his creativity was like losing his manhood.
It was the same I hazard with other writers but for different reasons. To lose whatever causes your creativity....
One of my heroes is the abstract expressionist painter Mark Rothko who too died of an internal struggle. Another is the painter Arshile Gorky. Creative people like these need to work. Their reason goes when their creativity goes if that makes sense.
Which leads me onto the format of this moving and thoughtful write. There is an understanding here. An understanding that sometimes we feel sad. Sometimes, some of us are depressed and followed by the black dog. those of us understand more perhaps. And then some of us like Papa Hemmingway know what creativity is like and the price that sometimes has to be paid.
A very, very empathic write and very impressive for that.
The happy irony here is that you are doing the very thing that you say you have not done for a while.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

6 Years Ago

It is ironic, isn't it? I was overwhelmingly moved from what I read, and I knew exactly what I had .. read more
From the title to the final line, this is just amazing Kelly! I loved “with nothing more than a grocery list to show for…” I think every writer has days like this. They say there’s a connection between depression and creative genius. Not sure about that. But “cures” like chemical and shock treatment can certainly damage it. This is a heartfelt tribute to a talented man. Bravo.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

6 Years Ago

I couldn't help but feel his despair from all I read. What an incredible man he was! Thank you my.. read more
good morning Kelly! :) i was directed here to your poem having read Jacob's ..which you inspired ;) its connections like these that stretch me .. i have two related poems and Hemingway to look up and read .. the conversational style of this is easy on the mind and soul .. a personal friend who talks comfortably about goals, desires and disappointing days ... and i the reader content to listen to the words i read .. subtle rhyming and rhythm ..nice turn with your third verse .. and your closing leaves the question open as to his death .. i am off to read more about the man and see if the 6 toed cats are included in his bio .. we use to have a 7 toed cat ..each front paw and six on each back .. every one of her kittens (around 45 or so) had the same. :) very fine read for one who is in the blocked times
E.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

6 Years Ago

You will be amazed by what you read, Gene. Thank you for a most wonderful review!
' .. with nothing more .. '

That - your poem, is superb, Kelly, truly is. You've captured the essence of Hemingway's power and twist of mind when laying down mood and such.

Some people suffer for their life, others for their mind. He, that wonderful man, suffered for a well that had dried up... how desperate his last thirst. What a loss..

Posted 6 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

6 Years Ago

A most lovely review, Emma. It seemed the more I read, the more my heart broke for him. I deeply a.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

968 Views
27 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 20, 2017
Last Updated on November 5, 2019
Tags: Hemingway, writer's block, suicide

Author

Kelly Scheppers
Kelly Scheppers

San Diego, CA



About
I was never a pearl kind of girl... always wore jeans with holes in the knees. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Windy Windy

A Story by Samuel Dickens


Solid Solid

A Chapter by Lyn Anderson


64 64

A Poem by Lydia Shutter