In Earnest of a Butterfly

In Earnest of a Butterfly

A Poem by Kelly Scheppers

In Earnest of a Butterfly

 

 

 

I caught a fleeting glimpse today
of a monarch butterfly


there,

before my naked eye
he fluttered by

as though shopping for a daisy

I inquisitively stood  

as he came into view,
scrutinizing the idiosyncrasies of
his tapered wings


Magnificent was he,

levitating to loftier heights

 

like a dancing string

to the tail of a kite ~

I caught! 

 

 

 

 

© 2017 Kelly Scheppers


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
MCS
Magical creatures those brown and orange beauties.
Beautiful read!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

6 Years Ago

Thank you most kindly!
I love it when a poem captures the beauty of a short moment. This piece did just that. I couldn't help but be pulled in by the lighthearted tone and playful descriptions. The vocabulary, flow, and imagery were nice and lead to a strong ending. Great work.

- William Liston

Posted 6 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

6 Years Ago

They are such gorgeous little creatures, aren't they? Thank you, Will. As always, you did me proud!
There is something so whimsical about this one, Kelly. You know I love butterflies and this one, well, it is right up my alley. Lydi**

Posted 6 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

6 Years Ago

Thank you, Lydi. I was hoping you'd enjoy it, knowing how much you love them!
always interesting to catch the brighten moments of shinen-morn in linen-words. kinda enjoyed reading... esp. the choice of your words.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

6 Years Ago

...thank you so much!
you've so elegantly placed that butterfly under a microscope for examination and touched our heartstrings in the process. so deep and telling. beautifully touching. there is serenity and carefree happiness in your words here.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

6 Years Ago

Thank you for the smile your review leaves me with, Pete!
How beautiful! Living in New Jersey they seem to be a rare sight. When seen it is so easy to see why they are the Monarch (king of the butterflies). Thank you for being so picturesque in your description of your encounter.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

6 Years Ago

It was such a pleasure for me to write - thank you!
mmmm playful ... very relateable ... i love that your speaker "gets it" when it comes to butterflies and kites ;)
in the 60's i was hitch hiking up the Coastal Highway and while going through Carmel I can upon thousands of them resting along a hedge of low bushes ... from a distance i was amazed as those bushes looked positively alive ..and they were ...with Monarchs ..heading to Mexico ..
"like a dancing string" ..beautiful my friend!
E.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Lovely gossamer descriptive piece. The words follow the feel so well.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

6 Years Ago

So kind of you to say, Ken...thank you!
A nice tribute to one of the spring/summer wonders many take for granted Kelly. I saw a tiny blue butterfly the other day, must google it. Such delicate and colourful creatures.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

6 Years Ago

They certainly are beautiful reminders of God's greatest art! Thank you, John.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Gee
Last lines sum up the butterflies movement to perfection poem.
A wonderfully descriptive poem

Posted 6 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Gordon! Good to see you & Jake.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

852 Views
24 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 17, 2017
Last Updated on July 30, 2017

Author

Kelly Scheppers
Kelly Scheppers

San Diego, CA



About
I was never a pearl kind of girl... always wore jeans with holes in the knees. more..

Writing