Dear Bluebird

Dear Bluebird

A Poem by Aimee Mahathy
"

I saw a bluebird yesterday and got hopeful for spring

"

 

Oh, jolly, plump bluebird;

Do you bring with you the spring?

My bones ache for the comfort

That your song might give to me.

 

Please sing to mother nature

And tell her to calm down.

I’m weary from the cold here.

The time for birth is now.

 

Oh, jolly, plump bluebird,

Carry with you my dream;

And fly off to the Old Ones

So that the Sun may beam.

© 2009 Aimee Mahathy


Author's Note

Aimee Mahathy
yep.
come on spring!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

We saw a humming bird today here in New England. for writer's block I recommend a poem without adjectives containing a jumbled list of words. you pick 'em

Posted 14 Years Ago


I really enjoyed this poem. It's very delicately put together (I'm struggling to articulate) and has a fragile, almost new life like quality to it, which fits the theme beautifully. The repetition of, 'Oh, jolly, plump bluebird,' in the first and last stanza is absolutely exquisite; I really, really do like that. That's the object of the narrators rhetorical muse and it creates a vivid image, without the need for the poem to actually establish the context of the imaginings. There's fabulous musicality to this piece, from the very beginning, 'My bones ache for the comfort/That your song might give to me.'

In the middle stanza I would recommend using commas instead of full stops, to keep the poem flowing. Also, it'd be better to not have capital letters where they're not needed, though those are really petty points to make - I just want to be thorough.

I notice the control you have demonstrated with the syllabic meter, which is commendable; it makes it feel much more composed.

So, yes, a great introduction to your work. I really liked it.

Sleep well.

Posted 14 Years Ago


As a baseball player and enthusiast, I'm one of the biggest fans of Spring in the world, and I can definitely relate with this poem. Though I usually associate the feel of Spring returning with leather mitts and hard white balls being struck with metal bats, I love the symbolism in this poem with the bluebird and Spring.

Please sing to mother nature

And tell her to calm down.

I'm weary from the cold here.

The time for birth is now.


Great writing in this stanza relating the bluebirds singing to the season changing. Brilliant job here.

Posted 15 Years Ago


It is good that it is finally back. This piece has a classical feel to it I think. It is not bogged down by the snobbish materialistic generation we live in. This is purity and freedom. It was a pleasure reading.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This sounds like a lively plea to me. One that insinuates excitement about what is coming. This is the same emotion a child feels when he's long been waiting for the rain to come. Each word and each line flow naturally smooth. A great write.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Bud
A wonderful ode to spring...Love it! Keep writing! Makes me anxious for spring to get here.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

312 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 7, 2009
Last Updated on April 7, 2009

Author

Aimee Mahathy
Aimee Mahathy

Bloomington, IL



About
I'm 33 now, much more settled into myself, and getting back to it again. The previous about me is gonna stay for now, since it's still somewhat accurate and I need some time to figure out what to say .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Blood and Ink Blood and Ink

A Poem by zer0