Fireweaver

Fireweaver

A Story by EnthusiasticallyDepressed
"

When two unexpected friends find the last dragon egg on earth, they do whatever it takes to keep it safe from an ominous threat that lurks underneath the school.

"

Skyler walked into his science classroom. His bright green eyes looked around in a frenzy as he scanned to find an empty seat before the teacher came in marking down as late. His eyes rested on an empty seat next to a skinny boy reading a leather bound book. He quickly made his way through the hectic classroom, and sat down next to the boy. The boy didn’t even move or look his way when he sat down. Skyler pushed his large circular wire rimmed glasses up his pale, freckled nose and flipped his teal colored hair out of his eyes. He extended a freckled hand to the stranger next to him and smiled. 

 “Hello, nice to meet you! My name’s Skyler. What’s yours?”

Solomon may have not moved, but that was not to say that he did notice. In fact, he was almost distractedly aware of the person sitting next to him. It was annoying to say the least. “Solomon.”. He replied, not bothering to look up from his book or acknowledge the hand extended towards him. Shaking hands was one of the worst things he could do, as nowadays people tended to do some odd and complicated motions instead of a formal shake. He shifted in his seat slightly, positioning his body ever so slightly away from… Skyler. He continued reading his book, attempting to become engrossed in the subject (It was just a fiction book he picked up, it wasn’t amazingly good) again.

Skyler’s hand retreated and he sat there awkwardly. “Nice to meet you Solomon! I look forward to making acquaintance with you.” He looked around at all of the other students talking to their desk partners.

“I guess he’s just the silent type” Skyler thought to himself. Before he could say anything else, the teacher walked in. He was tall and kinda buff. He was wearing just a normal T-shirt and jeans. He introduced himself as Mr. Barber and started talking about the class. Bored already, Skyler laid his head down on the desk and closed his eyes.

Solomon gave a quiet “Mmm” as if in agreement, or boredom. As soon as the teacher walked into the room he placed a bookmark into the book, and set it down. It wasn’t the hardest thing to do, he was already quite bored of the book. His mind was too filled with thoughts of magic and whatnot. Above all else, he couldn’t wait to get into the library! Solomon tuned in to what the teacher was saying, moving a piece of paper he had out in front of him so he could take some occasional notes, although he was into taking mental notes. Science wasn’t the most...magical thing to be lectured on at the moment, but regardless he still loved learning.

Skyler waited, for something more interesting to come along. He looked over at Solomon and rolled his eyes. 

“This guy is already taking notes?” He thought in disbelief. He sighed sitting up and looking around the class again. The teacher was having the students say their names, and something interesting about themselves.

Sarah can to bake, Willow likes to read, Joshua likes to play Magical football (aka soccer), blah, blah, blah, blah. And then it was Skyler's turn. He smiled brightly and said in a loud clear voice. “Hello everyone, My name is Skyler and I like to make short films” He leaned back in his seat and looked at Solomon who started to speak.

“Solomon”. He stated, although not too loudly. It would be slightly harder for anyone not by him to hear what he said, but he wasn’t in the mood to care. When he was prodded to give a bit more information he simply shook his head. He was never one to talk about himself. He supposed that, in a way, he just did tell everyone something about himself: he didn’t care for talking...at least to a group of strangers. His brow slightly furrowed at the disappointed look the teacher gave him with the addition of a few decidedly unkind comments from the other students, although that disappeared quickly as the rest of the class introduced themselves.

Skyler looked at Solomon curiously. He was mysterious, and that was something that Skyer was interested in. What Skyler saw in front of him was a jigsaw puzzle. A puzzle that he wants to solve. “I wonder if we could be friends” thought Skyler. It was then when he realized that he’d been staring at Solomon for a good five minutes.

“Alright class, knowing that everyone is anxious to use some Manipulation today, I have a group project. You, and your partner, will create something, it can be anything you want, using the Manipulations you know best. Pick a partner and get acquainted.” Mr. Barber said in a pleased tone. The room started to buzz with excitement, and loud chatter emanated from each group. Well, most groups. Solomon strained to hear some other rules or prerequisites for the project, but there was none. Great. Creativity was never his thing, and neither was group work. Speaking of…Solomon turned to look at who his partner would be, the person who had previously interrupted his reading with an attempt at greeting him. Solomon suppressed a sigh, thinking to himself that his partner was likely not the sharpest knife in the drawer. HIs second thought was that this person was looking at him in an odd way…but wasn't saying anything…

Skyler coughed and awkwardly turned away. He pushed his glasses up his nose and flushed in embarrassment. “So who’s your partner going to be?” Skyler asked quietly. Just the look on Solomon’s face told Skyler that Solomon did not want to participate in a partnership. He could tell that Solomon wasn’t in the mood for getting up and asking to work alone either. Skyler got up and walked over to the teacher flipping his black suspenders against his chest. He got to Mr. Barber’s large and organized mahogany desk. Skyler cleared his throat and the teacher looked up.

“Hey Mr. Barber, do we have to have a partner?” Skyler asked, his eyes looking directly into the teacher’s brown ones. The teacher shook his head. 

“Sorry- Skyler was it” he asked, afterwards receiving a nod from Skyler. “Sorry Skyer but you must have a partner, this is a way to show your creativity and make friends.” The teacher abruptly stood up startling Skyler.

“Okay guys, now that you have your partners, I need you to quiet down and tell me who your partner is.” Mr. Barber’s eyes trained on Skyer.

“Who will your partner be Skyler?” In a panic, Skyler realized he didn’t know anybody's names but one. “Solomon is my partner,” he blurted out. 

© 2018 EnthusiasticallyDepressed


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

49 Views
Added on February 13, 2018
Last Updated on February 13, 2018
Tags: dragons, fantasy, fiction

Author