The sand

The sand

A Story by Nael Adwan
"

Short story

"

The wind howled and flowers dried.
And when no birds revived the skies, people minded the matter.
They realized the trickery woven against them and the big disaster that befell the country.
The wind alone strums a dark eulogy.
They paniced when trees tumbled down at noontide.
A man dusted his shoulders and stood up staggering, he leaned to a mountain of sand next to him,
- ‘Sands have covered our hearts, sheikh. The city is doomed, nothing is left but sands’ the man said to the leader. ‘Woe unto us! The sun burns our throats and fates every day, the wind scorns our faces and feeds us sands of shame, what have you done with this country?’

They all sought a word of serenity, but only the howl of sand echoed in their ears and hearts louder and louder.
All eyes gazed at the long-bearded sheikh, they gathered round the mused hero, their guardian and keeper of their home. He was standing amid them, taller than all, mantled in a green silky wrap and wearing a round hat, both were gifts from the supporting allies.
He took refuge in silence and a pale smile hiding behind his features. Everyone gathered their hands in a warm applause and all women cheered loud and high while children yelled of joy, and the youth giggled in sheer ecstasy ‘Hail the leader’
After silence governed once more he muttered: ‘O people, our country is fine’.
Another wave of shouts and applause rose, women uttered trilling cries of joy and everybody hailed: ‘Long live the leader!’.
‘Starting now, our allies will bring us good and love’. Then back to silence he crept, wild humming soaring above him, then he added: ‘O great people, we will trade our greens with our allies, we need change in this phase, many things will happen between us that will sure bring good to all of us’
The white sheikh said then pierced everybody with sharp gazes, they lowered their spears and knew that the sheikh’s age is long.

He imported sand.
Transferred with high expenses.
After few days, barbered wires surrounded the reserve. The latter was bedighted with ribbons and flags of the allies, all ready and prepared for the grand opening that the commander and all upper-class attended.
He cut the ribbon and everybody clapped in an aristocratic air, commanders and leaders exchanged medals and kisess and took pictures while signing agreements and treaties.
Subsequently, the reserve became a resort dwelled by people. They carried beverages and candy bags and head to it in joy and enthusiasm. Kids built sand castles then destroyed them to build them again. Men rested their bodies on the imported sands and praised the wit of their leader; also women wore bikinis that showed their white silky legs and thighs.

Temperature went up.
Water was mixed with salt and grew polluted with a weird taste. At the beginning, everybody didn’t mind the matter much. Many said that this is the onset of the change which the leader mentioned before, they were laughing over the taste, and even their gifts to each other became salty water in colorful cans.
After a short while, Saltiness became intense.
The sheikh wore a new hat and came out.
He said as everybody circled around him with pale faces bleached by the sun: ‘The allies have an alternative plan for us’.

Silence governed afterwards, everyone knew that they are now doomed to the unknown.
The sky is yellow.
The bed of sand soars devouring every green remnant before it. Siroccos whipped the land chocking every remaining breath and blazing the air with salty sands.
People did not whine. They had full faith in their leader whom is alerted and heedful to this situation, and the answer is always under his sleeve.
Sands roaming through the streets, sweeping the footpaths into ruins and detrituses, shops and pillars and even schools are falling apart and taken over by sand granules.
Only road signs and signboards are still in their places, stood cold and dead, with colorful pictures of the leader above them, laughing and grinning, waving in a warm salute.
While the city crumples slowly.

© 2015 Nael Adwan


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

121 Views
Added on February 14, 2014
Last Updated on November 29, 2015

Author

Nael Adwan
Nael Adwan

Amman, Jordan



About
Writer from Jordan more..

Writing