The Loveliest Dance

The Loveliest Dance

A Poem by Vague
"

Also really old :

"

The castle is overrun and in disarray.
The walls of the Inside are crumbling around him.
This kind of merciless onslaught is unheard of.
He can't repair the walls this quickly.

The battle rages on.

He's surrounded with his back against the wall, sword and shield in hand, and blazing words of power at the ready, burning his tongue in anxious anticipation.
Fatigued, wounded, and outnumbered, as always.
This is his Last Stand.
He'll probably die here.
He prepares for what could be his final battle, except:

Paralyzed; for the first time ever, he can't move.
His body won't respond.
The enemy is closing in, and he can't move.
He can’t even lift his shield.

Delicate ribbons of crimson lace abound, and beautifully pattern the floor as they fall.
His foes strafe and weave through space, avoiding the airborne ribbons and the patterns they create.
Even in battle this enemy knows true beauty, no matter the source.
Interfering, or worse yet, destroying would be heinous.

Blades flash, flesh parts, armor tints spectacular shades of Bronze, Ruby, and Garnet.
What an absolutely wondrous display.
And what’s more?
They just keep on dancing, and dancing, and dancing; utterly entrancing.
It’s too bad he can only dance like this for so long; it’s like to the most pleasant of dreams.
Alas, Reality and Art don’t always mix so well, you know?

He drops his shield; his arm falls to his side, useless and limp.
His knees buckle; his breathing grows shallow.
He barely stands; supported only by his sword plunged through the floor and into the earth below.
Thus he completes the bloody mosaic begotten by his opponents’ deadly waltz.

Is this fear?
Hopelessness?
Why can't he defend himself?
Why won’t he move?

As his vision fades, the grip he has on his sword slackens, and his thoughts turn to oblivion, he realizes:

Where he thought there were many, there is only one...

© 2010 Vague


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I read this upside down, inside out and backwards and each time found something new in imagery and possible meaning. I wanted to feel as though I understand it but was relieved when I admitted that I don't. The words flow so magnificently with the inclusion of the images of dancing; I pictured the intent to cause the image of appearance of a bloody, raging battle being romanticized through some choreographed performance. Interesting, to say the least. Well penned.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I read this upside down, inside out and backwards and each time found something new in imagery and possible meaning. I wanted to feel as though I understand it but was relieved when I admitted that I don't. The words flow so magnificently with the inclusion of the images of dancing; I pictured the intent to cause the image of appearance of a bloody, raging battle being romanticized through some choreographed performance. Interesting, to say the least. Well penned.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

WOW, beautiful description, and imagery. This was well written, and captivating.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

168 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 15, 2009
Last Updated on March 26, 2010

Author

Vague
Vague

About
I just thought I'd try letting other people besides close friends read my poems. I think from what I've seen so far I can expect constructive responses. Some of the longer ones are old and not reall.. more..

Writing
Valesworn Valesworn

A Poem by Vague


Into Winter Into Winter

A Poem by Vague


A Letter A Letter

A Poem by Vague



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


BREAD BREAD

A Poem by John A Common