Enter The Dream World. (Unfinished)

Enter The Dream World. (Unfinished)

A Story by NamelessBeast.

"Welcome, welcome, welcome! Please, enter and bring yourself someone else's dream."
Jodie turned around, half expecting to see a freak with face paint shouting at her from across the crowded fate. Her blonde hair slipped over her eyes as she swung her head around, her blue eyes latching onto the man calling her. She gasped and grabbed onto Anna, her best friend and protector. She pointed at him, showing Anna where to look, and felt all the blood rush to her face. Anna took in a sharp breath as well; she was meant to be the one unfazed by anything but this man was unmissable.
He was easy to spot, at least seven foot, and beanpole thin. His face was not painted on, unlike the other men and women working in this circus. He was dressed in a black three piece suit, held a cane in one hand and had a top hat perched gently upon his head. His pale skin seemed to shine in the moonlight, but his eyes... It seemed as though all the shadows in the world had covered his eyes, leaving him blinded by the darkness.
Anna tugged Jodie's hand, leading her forwards. Hesitantly they made their way over to the tall man and his tent.
"Welcome ladies," he said as they approached. He cocked his head to one side and smiled, showing off his sharp pearly whites, "how may I help you today?" His head turned from Jodie to Anna and back again. The pair stood silent, watching the man's black eyes.
Jodie cleared her throat, "W- what are you, um..."
"You wish to enter someone else's dreams?" He smiled, blinking. "I can help you there. Enter." As he said this last word, he swept the front of the purple tent he stood in front of open and led the girls inside.
Jodie followed Anna closely, still holding her friend's hand. Her eyes swept around the room - well, tent - and took in the thousands of mini stars that adorned the purple folds and trappings. It was like the night sky had been painted purple, with small stars left over to keep shining. She could feel her heart pounding; silly really, there was no reason to be scared, was there?
The tall man folded himself into a seat on the other side of a mahogany desk. He rested his cane across his bony knees and smiled lazily. He took the top hat from his head and twisted it in his long, thin fingers. He looked down at it for a second, as though pondering some great idea that had not yet fully dawned upon him, before looking back up at the teenagers.
"Do you know why you're here?" He asked, his voice drawing both girls closer.
With shuffling steps, the two girls entered further into the tall man's domain. Anna shook her head, searching the room, and Jodie stayed behind her, peering over her friend's shoulder.
"Some people," the man began, "would call it fate. Or destiny."
Jodie almost tripped over her own feet as she stumbled into one of the chairs opposite him. She flushed a bright pink and motioned for him to keep talking, not yet trusting her voice.
"I, on the other hand, would call it magic. Not the hocus pocus that you two grew up with; there will be no wand waving nor rites to be performed here. No. This magic is far older than any of that."
Jodie shot a look at Anna, who was trying not to grin. She clearly thought that this man was peddling nonsense. But something, and she wasn't sure what, told Jodie that she shouldn't be so dismissive. She was terrified though, and wanted to leave this tent. It was already dark and who knew how much longer they'd have to stay listening to this man talk.
"This magic is the power of the universe. It is a force very nearly older than the universe. What is it? I hear you ask. Well, ladies, it is the magic of dreams."
"Dreams?" Anna scoffed, unable to hide her grin any longer. "What tosh."
"Tosh?" He growled at them, leaning forwards. "You believe I am making this up? Nay, lying even?"
"It's just that, honestly, 'the power of dreams' is a little hard to believe in. Especially when you're some random circus freak-" Anna stopped talking abruptly. She was completely unable to continue; her hands clutched her throat and a panicked look rose in her eyes.
The tall man glared at Jodie, then turned his attention back to Anna. "I have an intense dislike for the word freak and I would rather no one spoke it in my presence." He put his hat back on his head and picked up his cane. He stood up, towering over the girls. His eyes were red, hidden behind the shadows like a beast locked in a cage. Only, Jodie got the feeling that this cage wouldn't last much longer.

© 2012 NamelessBeast.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

171 Views
Added on August 14, 2012
Last Updated on August 14, 2012

Author

NamelessBeast.
NamelessBeast.

London, London, United Kingdom



About
Ask and you shall know. more..

Writing