Eternity.

Eternity.

A Story by NamelessBeast.
"

Nathan Grimshaw and his wife, Sophie Grimshaw, and their eternity.

"

He stood in front of the grave. A cool, strong wind whipped his hair back over his eyes. He shook his head and sighed. The soft petals under his fingers whispered to him in the wind. He picked a rose from the scant few left in his hand and laid it gently on the grassy grave. 

"Sorry... I guess this is all my fault." He bowed his head as the tears slipped down his face. "Please, forgive me." 

A soft hand was laid on his shoulder. He was pulled into a tight, warm embrace. He buried his face in the neck of the warm body holding him. 

"I'm just..." His voice cracked and his sobs shook his small, slim frame. "Sorry."

"Shh." Crooned a soft voice, "Shh, it wasn't your fault. I promise." 

"NATHAN!" A small girl screamed from across the graveyard. "NATH!" 

Nathan pulled away from the warm hug, the sudden chill making him shiver. Or maybe it was the girl, he knew her. Her voice was distinctive, no one else sounded like her. He looked up at the girl, running across the graveyard. Somehow he knew that she wasn't real; after all, he had just laid a rose on her grave. 

"Sophie!" He stumbled forwards, regardless of his knowledge. "SOPHIE!"

The girl running towards him was about six. Her long golden hair fell to her waist, it was parted in two long shimmering plaits. She danced in between the gravestones, her skirts whirling around her knees. Her soft, tinkling laughter echoed in the empty graveyard. 

Nathan ran towards her, his breath getting caught in his throat as the tears slipped from his eyes.  This was the six year old Sophie, the girl he'd called his best friend. She was exactly as he remembered her. She was so pretty, so small... He laughed as she skidded to a halt in front of him. 

"Hey, Mister, have you seen Nath?" She asked him, her sky blue eyes searched his face, looking over him without registering who he was. 

"Sh-Sure... He's over there, behind the shed. Remember, I didn't tell you." He winked and handed the small girl a rose. 

"Oh thanks, Mister!" She said, taking a deep sniff of the rose. "You're a real nice guy. Cyah!"

Sophie flashed Nathan a smile before running off, her soft laughter fading as the memory of the six year old girl disappeared from his mind. He turned around, looking back at the grave. 

"Oh god... Sophie, I miss you." He fell to his knees and bowed his head again. "Sophie... I'm going insane. I need you back here with me."

"Nath!" A voice called from the gates of the graveyard. "Nathan, I know you're hiding in here!" 

Nathan's head jerked up, his ears picked up her voice yet again. This time, she was older. How old now? How would she react to him? How would his brain play this out? 

"Nathan Grimshaw!" She called, searching behind the gravestones. "Nath, where are you?"

Nathan stood up, he cleared his throat and called to her, "I'm here Sophie." 

Sophie turned around, a young girl still, 16 or 17 at the most. She was dressed in a pair of tight jeans and a soft grey blouse. Her hair was still long, although not as long as it could've been if she'd kept growing it. The sunlight shone from behind her, it seemed as though she had a halo. 

"Nath." She sighed. "Why did you run away?" 

Nathan's mind shot back, he remembered the day. He remembered everything. They were 17, just starting to date, his mother had been kind to them, but his father had called him scum and good for nothing. His father had even threatened him, Nathan had run from the angry man. Ran to the only place that seemed to be home; the graveyard. 

"I... I don't know." Nathan said, carefully remembering his lines, the words he'd said shouldn't be changed at all. 

"Oh Nathan..." Sophie sighed and walked towards him. Her eyes, still a stunning blue, kept Nathan's gaze. She smiled as he took one of the three remaining roses in his hand and placed it in hers. 

"Keep it, it's for you." He smiled softly. 

"I will, Nath. I will.” She said, her soft voice made goose bumps crawl over Nathan’s skin.

Sophie turned around and walked away from him, back out of the gates. Nathan’s hands felt empty and cold, he looked down at them. Only two roses left. And then one on Sophie’s grave. The crisp air around him chilled his skin. The sun had dived behind a cloud, leaving the shadows to roam.

“Nathan...?” Sophie called. “Nathan?”

Nathan turned around; the voice wasn’t coming from the graveyard gates this time. It was coming from behind him.

“Sophie?” He called. “I’m here.”

Sophie’s head turned, her eyes caught his. “I figured you’d be here, you always come to this spot. I think I should be buried here, to give you some company.”

“Yeah,” Nathan choked, “that’d be fun.”

“Morbid boy,” Sophie laughed, her tinkling voice brought warmth to Nathan’s heart, “I don’t know why I fell for you.”

“Because I was the first idiot you met that’d lay his jacket in a puddle for you?”

“Oh,” Sophie sighed, “that must be it.”

“Soph...” Nathan stammered, “Soph, I miss you.”

“I know Nath. I miss you too.” Sophie reached out her hand, trying to stroke Nathan’s cheek. Her hand passed through him. “I miss you so much.”

Nathan smothered a sob; his world was crumbling around him. He whipped his sleeve across his eyes and looked up at Sophie. She was about thirty here, about the age they were married. She was beautiful, her smile so genuine and sweet. He laughed sadly.

“Take it, this one’s for you.” He took one of the two roses in his hand and gave it to the ghostly girl. She could grasp the rose perfectly, but not him.

“It’s beautiful, Nath. Like the ones at our wedding reception.”

“Yeah, I got them from the same man.” Nathan whispered, the emotion making his voice hoarse.

“Well, see ya Nath. I need to go now.” Sophie sighed, reaching out to him once more. She passed through him again. “I’ll be back. I promise.”

Nathan nodded dumbly and watched Sophie walk away from him. She didn’t fade, she just disappeared.

“Nath, I’m here. You remember me, don’t you?”

Nathan looked up once more; his eyes couldn’t believe what he saw. The young woman that had been buried in the grave before him was standing here, next to him.

“Sophie.” He gasped. This was his Sophie, the one that he had lost a year ago. This Sophie was 43 and she’d kept the figure of her 17 year old self. “Oh god, Sophie, of course I remember you.”

The sun crept out from the bank of clouds and peered over the graveyard, lighting Sophie’s face and illuminating the tired, worn look on Nathan’s.

“Looks like this one’s mine then Nath.” Sophie said, pulling the rose from Nathan’s hand. “I remember the other roses you gave me. They’re all in a book I’ve got at home, I had to keep them. Look for the book when you can. It’s called ‘Never Forget’. It seemed appropriate.”

“I’ll look for it Soph.” Nathan nodded. “I promise.”

“Nath, you won’t have time. You’re coming with me.” She grabbed his hand and pulled him into a hug. Sudden warmth flooded Nathan. A smile slipped past his guarded expression and he looked calmer, younger. He pulled Sophie closer and took in a deep breath, her scent filled his nose. Nathan tangled his fingers in her hair.

“Was it you I hugged earlier?” He asked, mumbling into her neck.

“Yes, that was me. I wanted one last hug with you before I had to do this.” She pulled away from him and smiled. “But now you’re mine. We can live the best years of our lives together.”

“But we’ve lived them...” A crease formed on Nathan’s brow.

“Now we can live them again.” She laughed. “Forever.” 

© 2012 NamelessBeast.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I got confused at the very end. Did she kill Nathan? or did I just miss something?

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

215 Views
1 Review
Added on August 14, 2012
Last Updated on August 14, 2012

Author

NamelessBeast.
NamelessBeast.

London, London, United Kingdom



About
Ask and you shall know. more..

Writing