A Soldiers Tears

A Soldiers Tears

A Poem by Practically Enchanted
"

A Poem to honor the struggle that Sodiers experience.

"

The sunset, watching the world intently, spied a man beside a grave, standing there so gently.

The lone soldier, contemplating all he felt, in front of the unknown grave, he so sadly knelt.

A single tear slid slowly down his cheek.  “I’m not sure what to ask for,                     is it forgiveness that I seek?”

He was a proud and honorable man, his duties, none ever taken lightly.

The sunset sent the wind to whisper to him quietly.  “Do you ever see their dead and dying faces?”

His soul in torment, he tragically replied:  “Only nightly.”

As the dark started creeping, wordlessly from the shadows, it found the proud soldier with his head bowed low in shame.

Softly appearing at his side, night gently called his name.  “Why, my child, are you so completely filled with blame?”

The lone soldier his broad chest silently shaking, humbly gave his reply:

“I have taken many sons from their loving mothers, this I won’t deny.”

“For what a monster I would be, if instead, I chose to lie.”

The night called softly back to him:  “Living life full of regrets will only drive you insane.”

“I hope you find comfort in remembering, it was never for personal gain.”

The dejected soldier sighed deeply, crying out in anguish:  “But it doesn’t erase the pain!”

“No, my child, I am afraid it’s part of the burden, with your brothers you must share.”  “And never forgetting their faces, yes, that’s your cross to bear.”

 Night encouragingly continued, “But never be ashamed to cry, for it shows the world you care.”

As the night slowly faded and dawn took its place, she eavesdropping, replied without disgrace:

“My dear warrior, as for forgiveness, it isn’t yours to ask.”  “That job belongs to all of us who so selfishly gave you the task.”

The sun having risen for the day, smiled gently down upon the soldier with these final words to say:  “Stand up my son and don’t delay.”  “I know we’ve asked a heavy burden for some to have to pay, and now, brave soldier, it is time to go and fight another day.”

Facing the sunrise, dried tears upon his face, left there as a gift, his ultimate price to pay, into the mourning mist, the proud soldier marched without delay.  -Off to fight another day.

                              Natalie McCart

© 2010 Practically Enchanted


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nice tribute to our soldiers. I like the personification on "night." Sweet poem. Too bad many artists look at our heroes with disdain. Thank you for the touching read!

Patrick

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You wrote a amazing poem. Soldiers have a lot to understand when the War is over. I was in three War zones. Came back with no scars till I stood at graves of good friends. Took years for me to understand why? A excellent poem.
Coyote

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This Is Really Good, It Inspires Me To Write In This Type Of Poetry, Keep Up The Good Writings

Chris

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

678 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 8, 2010
Last Updated on February 8, 2010

Author

Practically Enchanted
Practically Enchanted

About
I love to write, especially Poetry. I have a wonderful husband and two teenage boys. I'm an optimist and I write from the Heart. I am excited to be joining this sight. My favorite saying is: "L.. more..

Writing