Broken Beyond Repair

Broken Beyond Repair

A Story by Nataniel Fernandes

It was in 2011 Luanda, Angola, Morro bento, It was an ordinary day, I went to school then home did my homework and stayed with my nanny and brother as I waited for my mom to get home which she eventually did. and then I said by to my nanny as she left through the back door… My father later arrived and we were ready to eat dinner, and that's when it happened. They broke in through the back door, 6 masked men with a pistol each.  the security guard was tied up and gushing blood from his head. I was paralyzed by fear; my mind went black. I looked at my mom and my heart dropped, tears were dropping down her face, hyperventilating and praying that her children would be kept safe, never had I seen my mom like that. “Get up and lean against the wall” They said to my parents. My dad refused to sit down and it went from worse to abominable. My dad was pushed to the wall “What do you want? we’ll give you anything” said my dad in despair.  “you two sit on the couch” They said I was not worried about myself, but for my 3-year-old brother who was silently crying a river. “WE WANT MONEY!”  my dad said told them it was upstairs, “Lets go FAST” said the guy who seemed to be the leader of the men in black. My dad lead them upstairs and into his never-ending room, they wanted to take everything, my dad’s fancy watch collection, my mom’s jewelry, and My dad was so terrorized that he even gave them a basket for them to put everything inside because they wanted more things than they could take. Once they had what they had what they wanted the guy who seemed to be the leader screamed “go downstairs” in terror we went down the stairs looking back but trying not to, “We want money” they protested, my dad told them he had money in his car and the moment he opened his mouth boom! I felt I was hit with a bullet, but what had happened was that my dad was hit with a gun on the head, gushing blood as I shattered tears.

Suddenly the men heard a noise and it was unclear as to why they left, but they went running off. My dad immediately told my brother my mom and I to go to the office and “DUCK FAST” as he grabbed his gun in case of them coming back. It was silent for 30 minutes and we knew that wed come back from hell. “Go upstairs and stay in the room until we call you” my mom expressed as she was calling the police who surprisingly arrived shortly after. Never had I seen so many police officers but it sure gave me a sense of security in the moment but didn’t stop me from being scarred. It was dagger after dagger after dagger, and it hurt even more watching my dad receive medical attention because he was an upbeat man who did all he could to protect his family.  That night I did not sleep or even dare to close my eyes, because every time I did it was a replay of this living hell I had just lived. As a family, we became closer than ever, as a family we were there for each other, as a family we became one!

Since that day my life was never the same, for months I couldn’t sleep at night and today it still haunts me, for months I could not erase that image off my mind and today it still haunts me, for months my family was ripped apart and it still haunts. This affected everything in my life, I developed trust issues and was just scared of everything and everyone. Whoever would pass by I would always assume that it was to happen again. We moved houses but still I didn’t feel safe. Although I developed all these problems, I just felt for my brother who was scarred worse. Since that day my brother has not slept in his room or by himself, always with my parents till this very day. My mom started going to church to ask for blessings, and that above all good would protect our family through good and bad times. We will forever be broken beyond repair but together as a family. It was the hardest moment in my life, but with time and much love from everyone around me it helped me overcome my troubles. Although the picture is still painted on my mind, I can now close my eyes and dream, I can now leave the house knowing that I’ll be safe.

At a point in my life I felt I contributed to the stereotype that Africa has a lot of crime, but as I analyze what I went through its not only unfair but as well as false to say that there is a huge number of crimes in Africa specifically. Because what happened to me could have happened to anyone, Anywhere. I was stabbed in the back by a close individual and this could happen to anyone you trust. There is crime everywhere, therefor the generalization of Africa must be stopped. One must be very closed minded to say such. Therefore, be the difference, be opened minded. And give the people the realistic view of Africa, rather than what people want to here. This is my story. This is my view. This is my Africa. 

© 2017 Nataniel Fernandes


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

37 Views
Added on December 15, 2017
Last Updated on December 15, 2017

Author

Nataniel Fernandes
Nataniel Fernandes

Luanda, Talatona, Angola



About
I am an Angolan writer who likes to share his experiences. more..