A letter to Nothing.

A letter to Nothing.

A Story by Nayen

Okay, listen. And I mean really listen, so I need you to keep your mouth shut. Got it? Good. Let me start at the beginning.

We knew each other. Not well, but I knew who you were and what you looked like and some other general things about you. Like the fact that you have an older brother or that you like to sing. And you knew who I was and what I looked like and some other general things about me.

Then, last year we got really close. We had most of our classes together and in almost all of the ones we had together, we sat together. So we would talk and joke around in class.

You were a good student. You would get your work done and you would always keep yourself organized. Me, however, I was a mess. I never did any of the homework and I never even cared enough to write down what it was. But I did care enough to ask you what it was. Not because I wanted to do the homework, but because I wanted an excuse to text you every night.

I would look forward to two things every day: school and sleep. School because I would get to be with you and sleep because I would get to see you.

I adored your personality. If you got to pick your seat in class, you would always gravitate towards the front of the room. Because that’s just the way you are. I idolized you. The way you would tilt your head back when you would laugh and the way that your hair would fall perfectly on your shoulders without effort.

The witty jokes you would make. The subtle references to Friends and How I Met Your Mother. I’d get them, but no one else would, but sometimes I wouldn’t. They’d just go right over my head. But I’d know when you made them because you’d look at me, knowing that I’d laugh. We were so close.


Nowadays you’ve been ignoring me. I know that we only have one class together, and we don’t even sit near each other. I understand how it could be easy to forget about me. But it seems like you’re trying to ignore me. Trying to block me out of your life. Intentionally turning a cold shoulder on me.


It hurts. I hate it. I miss you.


I tried confronting you about it. First in person. You just walked away. Then, you never opened my messages. So I texted you until I finally gave up.

That’s it.

That’s all I got.

I’m falling apart.

You’re watching me burn.

I’m not mad.

Because...


I love you.


© 2016 Nayen


Author's Note

Nayen
I tried to pay attention to the blank space before paragraphs. At the beginning, they knew of each other, so there's a lot of space, then they get close, so there's not much space. Then they started getting further, so the paragraphs got further apart.(look at the last word of each paragraph)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Dan
I really like this story. It's brief, concise, well-thought out, and most importantly (to me at least) relatable. I think we all reach a point at some time in our lives when the person we love doesn't love us back. I think that's how love always works. And the people who get to experience love to the fullest are simply the people who can prove the most convincing to their partner; that's what love often stems from --the ability of one person to persuade someone else (who they love) to truly love them back. Thanks for sharing this!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Quick and concise. Everyone can easily relate to this. We've all had someone drift out of our lives, but all things change in life. Overcoming the changes and working to make sure it works out for the best is the fun in life, even though it doesn't always feel that way.

I like how fast this story paces itself. You didn't use a lot of extraneous thought or wasted space to reiterate your points. Every sentence has weight, which is what writing is meant to be. Well done.

Posted 7 Years Ago


It's probably something everyone has experienced at least once, on some level. Maybe not like this, maybe as friends, but it's very relateable, and not much explanation is required as to the things loved about this person, because the readers know. Great story, and pacing too.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Dan
I really like this story. It's brief, concise, well-thought out, and most importantly (to me at least) relatable. I think we all reach a point at some time in our lives when the person we love doesn't love us back. I think that's how love always works. And the people who get to experience love to the fullest are simply the people who can prove the most convincing to their partner; that's what love often stems from --the ability of one person to persuade someone else (who they love) to truly love them back. Thanks for sharing this!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

264 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 27, 2016
Last Updated on November 27, 2016
Tags: romance, sad, love, short story, flash, flash fiction

Author

Nayen
Nayen

Lakeland, FL



About
I've been writing for a while the problem is I've never finished anything. I have several portions of screenplays and stories, but nothing complete. I have so many stories to tell, just nothing for.. more..

Writing
Janet and Aaron Janet and Aaron

A Story by Nayen


The Gray Ride The Gray Ride

A Story by Nayen


Year Two Year Two

A Story by Nayen