Year Two

Year Two

A Story by Nayen
"

Some flash fiction I wrote for a class awhile ago.

"

Today is day 730. That’s right, two whole years. Two years of sitting at this desk in front of a worthless computer screen. Two years without a vacation or a day off. Two years without visiting my parents, my family, walking my daughter to class or celebrating my third year of marriage. Two f*****g years alone in this goddamn cubicle.


Today is different. There is silence. No chatter coming from the break room which is routinely filled with my incompetent coworkers, who would rather stand around in a room, pretending to like each other while drinking the recycled poison that they call ‘water’ than actually working. There is no electrical humming coming from the generators that keep the lights on and the computers running. There is no hissing from the air thrusters that keep the ship stable.


Ever since we left earth, everyone has gone into a serious work mode and no one laughs, no one plays, no one cries. Just work. But today is different. Everyone decided to stay in their cells with their wives and kids and parents. Everyone else has come to accept that this is the end. We have reached the end of our fuel supply. Once the power goes out, it is never coming back on. The oxygen is going to stop, the water is going to stop, and so are we.



This is the end. And I chose to come to work.

© 2016 Nayen


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

OMG. I loved it. Short yet really, really good.
at first Ill be honest I was like eh, but I am soo glad i read on, the opening had a great payoff.
I though for sure It was going to be someone whining about there job, but then it became haunting.
The thought of this person spending there final hours at work is chilling. Good job in derailing my expectation into something more fun.

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

241 Views
1 Review
Added on November 27, 2016
Last Updated on November 27, 2016
Tags: flash, flash fiction, sci fi, sad

Author

Nayen
Nayen

Lakeland, FL



About
I've been writing for a while the problem is I've never finished anything. I have several portions of screenplays and stories, but nothing complete. I have so many stories to tell, just nothing for.. more..

Writing
Janet and Aaron Janet and Aaron

A Story by Nayen


The Gray Ride The Gray Ride

A Story by Nayen