Dear Friend

Dear Friend

A Story by Regina Ndagire
"

..the highly esteemed detective – Mr. Ssebutinde – has just been posted at his new work station. The undercover investigation is set to find the assailant behind the murder of Noami..

"

‘Good morning Sir. Mr. Kagawa needs you right away in his office.’

I found my way up the staircase to the first room on the right side of the corridor on the third floor. He was actually waiting for me and was so glad “I showed up on time on my first day”. I wondered if his employees always came late on their first day of work. Well, am glad I didn’t.

‘Good to see you Mr. Ssebutinde. How was your first night in our small town?’

‘Very good. Thanks for asking.’ I gladly replied because it actually was.

About three kilometers from the main trading center; JM was a secluded residential estate. Distant from the familiar city noise of the night clubs, drunkards, street jam and hooting cars. In a perimeter wall covered by security lights, alarms and CCTV cameras along with a watch man, what else for security would I need? Security was what they call tight. I settled in yesterday evening. My apartment was the second in the row of eight houses in the estate. They were self contained houses with a kitchen, a living room and two bedrooms. Apparently, the rest were all occupied according to the agency. It was a very peaceful night. After the hectic journey and the whole shifting process, I snoozed the whole night.

He sat up in the chair and wringed his hands while he gazed at me.

‘I have a small piece of work for you….’ he said as he held his frowning gaze straight to my face. This left me wondering if he doubted my competence for the piece work he was planning on assigning me. Nevertheless, I replied him with an emphatic nod.  ‘Any Sir…’

He leaned towards the filing cabinet and pulled out a Vision paper, the popular and best selling local newspaper in the region.

‘Here…’ he tossed it on the table towards me.

I took a glimpse of the story that had made news on the front page. It had a picture of a naked woman lying prone. She had a few coverings thrown on her…. I had barely made sense of the picture when he asked me if I had watched or listened to news this morning.

Unfortunately I hadn’t.

‘Her name is Noami…Noami Namere. She was found dead on top of Aka hotel. However, on the breaking news they barely had any credible information about it. I mean it was the usual ‘…an unidentified body of a lady in about her early thirties was found dead on the rooftop of the famous Aka hotel this morning at about 0615hrs by the hotel staff….while investigations have kicked off, the locals blame it on the rampant drug use in the neighborhood....blah…blah…blah’…’ he imitated ‘…that is why I called you here. I want you to fill in the dots. Can you do that?’

I was completely aware of the famous Aka hotel �" the murder site. It was about a mile from the main trading center and it is known for its night parties and cute ladies. I love my job and I have no doubt in my capability but when it comes to murder cases I hate it.

I have been a detective for close to ten years and I have worked on only two murder cases so far. They are not fun at all. They are all you can think of as life threatening or risking your life in the quest of justice. The first of my two murder investigations was about four years back while I was still an assistant investigator. I narrowly escaped death. I was saved by my partner. We had been sent out to spy on gangsters after we received information about their usual hang out spot. He shot at the thug who had aimed a pocket knife towards me. After the angelic act I remember his arrogant voice whispering into my ear: ‘next time watch your back, you won’t have me always’. A year after that incident, I was promoted to senior investigator. And a year later I was assigned another murder case. A legendary correspondent had been gunned down allegedly following a controversial story that he had covered about a week earlier. I handed over the lead assassin in five days. This is the case from which I gained heights in the profession. The reason I was appointed for my new job - chief detective, Kawere police station.

‘Yes Sir. Absolutely’

He immediately stood up as if that was all he needed to hear from me. He led me into the room with a door labeled ‘EQUIPMENTS’. Inside this room, he handed me a loaded pistol, a pocket note book and a ball pen.

As he searched through the stuff, he said with absolute finality in his voice.

‘The community has lost quite a number people in such baffling deaths. Four people have died in a space of two weeks and this raises the total to five. We cannot afford to lose another. Get this assassin for me. And by the way, do not hesitate to let me know if you need assistance however I believe you can handle this. That is your task for now. I expect to hear from you within three weeks.’

Wow…have I just been appointed to another of my worst field!

I just followed him out of the equipment room and officially signed myself out of office until Friday of week three…

 

© 2017 Regina Ndagire


Author's Note

Regina Ndagire
..to be continued..

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Eye-catching piece! There's a kind of fluent flow of events/description. Some additional descriptive details wouldn't hurt though, as it could make a writing more "interactive."

Posted 6 Years Ago


Regina Ndagire

6 Years Ago

Okay. I do get it. Thanks a lot. I was just avoiding having a very long post however I understand is.. read more
Rubick

6 Years Ago

You're welcome.You have a point there. Some readers appreciate short pieces rather than long ones.
I'm glad you say it will be continued, because you've caught my attention. Whatever the country, a mu8ltiple murder investigation makes a compelling story. I enjoyed what I've read so far, and I hope to read the next installment.

The English is slightly unconventional in places, but I don't think it's your first language, and it's very readable and understandable. The grammar and construction are very good.

Well done!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Regina Ndagire

6 Years Ago

Thanks Debbie for your feedback. It is really helpful.
I will check out where there's need f.. read more
Debbie Barry

6 Years Ago

You're welcome, Regina! Yes, I saw a second story on your page. I'll go read it right now.
Regina Ndagire

6 Years Ago

It is really so nice of you.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

325 Views
2 Reviews
Added on October 27, 2017
Last Updated on October 27, 2017

Author

Regina Ndagire
Regina Ndagire

Kampala, Kampala, Uganda



Writing