Hunger Trap

Hunger Trap

A Story by Zephyr
"

Please don't waste food.......

"

“Finish your breakfast!”


My mom bellowed as I made my way to the front door.


“No time, ma!”


I shouted back.

                    …………………………………………………………………….

 

“All set?”


Sam asked with a wink.


“Aye- Aye Captain!” I replied back with a smile.


                          …………………………………………………………

 

We arrived at the settlement at around 10:00 am. We got our books and pen ready and began to tour around the tribal village.


The scenery was beautiful. Like it came right out of a painting.


Thatched houses and serene surroundings.


But the people?


Not at all!


More than half of the tribals were malnourished.


The sight of their children with bloated stomachs and pallid bodies was heart wrenching.


Records say that many die, especially children, as a result of utter malnourishment.


Malnourished pregnant woman put her life as well as her unborn child’s life at stake.


While my mind flitted through these thoughts, a pang of regret hit me sharp.


I thought about the food I had dumped away that morning.


I hung my head in shame……….

      

    

                                                  

© 2017 Zephyr


Author's Note

Zephyr
People die of hunger around the world.
Wasting food is cruelty.
Think about the needy and helpless ones.
So please stop wasting food!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Well done Neetha by highlighting such a grave issue. I will make my children read this so that they understand why their mom is always concerned with food wasteage.
Many times those born with a silver spoon do not know the value of nothing- what if they have nothing to eat? And the Mother Theresa Quote is apt.

Posted 6 Years Ago


this is so heartbreaking and eye opening. I love the transitions in this

Posted 6 Years Ago


my sentiments exactl;y, you got your message across x

Posted 6 Years Ago


we are blessed here in america,there is no need for any one to be hungry or homeless

Posted 6 Years Ago


Great quote and you taught a important lesson. USA toss -out enough to feed the world. I saw the starvation in Africa in the nineties. Broke my heart. Thank you for sharing the needed and worthwhile poetry.
Coyote

Posted 6 Years Ago


Wow this is truly inspiring. Your works always focus on the problems of the worlds and I love how you turn them into a simple story that shoots you at the heart.

Posted 6 Years Ago


that's exactly what we are told by our elders to never leave a single bite in your plate... whatever food you are think of it's waste, it could be like an immortal drink for any hungry guy...
very well written neetha !!


Posted 6 Years Ago


So sad and true. I knew hunger when young, and it made an impact that is still with me. Yes, don't waste food. Take only that which you need, and leave the rest for others. Share if possible. How good it is of you to write this.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Beautifully written, and how well you laid out your thoughts and ideas of this reality, that many face each day, in many nations and countries, around the world. I have felt that guilt many a time, but not until, I was thrown into the wave, of losing everything, and having to seek shelter, that was full of families, and elderly people, seeking a better life, but having the toughest of luck. And being forced to eat only what the shelter provided, was not always something we looked forward to, yet thinking back, we could not complain about not having any food to eat as others do, day to day. Loved this!

Posted 6 Years Ago


I like the way you illustrated your perception of guilt. If only more people valued this ideaology.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Zephyr

6 Years Ago

I agree:)
Thank you so much!

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

755 Views
24 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 7, 2017
Last Updated on June 7, 2017
Tags: Food waste, Malnourishment, Hunger

Author

Zephyr
Zephyr

India



About
21. Seeking the calm in the chaos. more..

Writing
Blooming Life Blooming Life

A Story by Zephyr


Monsters Monsters

A Poem by Zephyr


The Visit The Visit

A Story by Zephyr



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Apocalypse! Apocalypse!

A Story by Zephyr


Goodbye... Goodbye...

A Poem by Zephyr