letter to the future (Part 1)

letter to the future (Part 1)

A Poem by Nico
"

a little fantasy here.....straying somewhat away from my usual type of writing.

"

castle.jpg picture by italianMontrealer  it's an old story that
has been around for many years,
it's an old story and
it will tell you something...

 

it happened during dark times
when the wind blew much
harder than ever before,
the evil wind of
a terrible disease.

 

therefore the prince decided
to lock himself up in his castle
alone with his friends,

he thought to stay
locked up there and
to wait until the fear
and the obscurity
would yield and allow his soul to breathe,

wishing this satanic wind to blow by,

salvaging his mind and never come back.

 

in the castle there was joy
and people had a great time
eating and dancing
and nobody ever
believed that the
evil wind would ever
reach the castle
but at the end it did

despite their false sense of security.

 

I write you this story because
it sounds like some history that
repeats itself and keeps coming back,

I write you this story
because soon you will be born
and who knows how the city
will look like once that
wind will have died down.

 

I don’t know what kind of
world you will grow up in,
I only hope that you will be a
son of a new and better society.





 

© 2008 Nico


Author's Note

Nico
this poem is written and mean't to be thought provoking, since it's fantasy I'm curious to see how my readers interpret this piece. There should be a varying degree of comments and what is important is I want to hear the varying opinions my readers get out of this piece. I hope you enjoy the read and let me know what this poem means to each of you. Some of you may find the story somewhat incomplete and you would be right in that judgement.....it is Part 1 of a series which I'm working on, be patient, I'm working on part 2 and 3:).......Also, if you haven't gotten the chance to read my poem Young hearts with Wings I'd strongly recommend giving it a read.....it is my little own masterpiece I consider.....would greatly appreciate anyone who hasn't read it yet to comment the piece. Thank-you, Nico.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"his only hope was that he would be a son of a new and better society"... a fine wish indeed but, I believe that for society to become new and better each one of us has to contribute to making IT BETTER in whatever ways we can. Whether it be sharing our thought upon this site, chatting with strangers while out and about forming new friendships as our paths continue to cross... who knows if "society" will ever become equal for all, where it is "all for one and one for all"? Difficult it must be since obviously we have miles of improvement to attend to. Perhaps we need to STOP writing history and teaching it to our children... seems as though the history we and our parents were taught just lent the O.K. to continue on as is; repeating and repeating when up against the wall? Gee, I'm done diggin' this hole, it'll depress me if I continue. I do ramble on as I search for the words to express the thoughts within. Letter to the Future... re-read the past, learn from it and please don't repeat. ;~) Bear

Posted 16 Years Ago


9 of 9 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This piece what is to say but that I really do like it!
I enjoy the dark hovering mystery written in each paragraph and really it seems this can be interpreted for the past, present, and future. It makes you think critically at the end while making you want to read more.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I think it was an interesting piece but I can't help but think that I won't understand the full concept of this writing until I read the entire compilation of it.

Posted 14 Years Ago


um.... part 2?

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It is the re-occuring story throughout history that we never seem to learn from. Ignore the bad until it's too late and then wonder why we didn't see it! You say it's a fantasy but it really is an archetype of a lot of the history of the human race!

I could see a bard standing at court reading this...fantastic work!

Hugs, Mystic

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Loads of things could happen with this peice. The opening verse sound like it is being by some wise old sage who has seen the kingdom rise and fall. In ages past when lands were fought over and princes came and went the sage has seen it all. Then it happened. disese ravanged the land and took what he own most dear. maybe it took the King and the Queen and being the only child he was afraid but as in childhood he could never face fear. so he ran to the big high tower hoping and believing that he had done enough to escape but he was wrong. Why because deep down he knew that it was part of him.

intresting poem here diffierent to what ive read before
Looking forward to the next installement.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

It reads like an old fairy tale. I miss those sometimes. Good work.
This sounds remarkably like Poe's "Masque of the Red Death". Did you purposefully take a cue from that, or was it purely coincidental?

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It is thought provoking yet it holds a fearfull truth. Through the ages almost from the time man walked the earth, there seems to have been wars, or fights of some sort. So many hide - as in hiding from the truth - as in - if I don't know about it it can't hurt me - as in- if I shut my eyes it will go away and leave me alone. It never does.

Our parents wished the best for us, we wished the best for our children and no doubt our children will wish the best for their children.

Each generation faces different challengers, different wars but underneath the reasons are usually the same cause - greed, hatred, discontent, racisim, possiveness etc etc ect.

It seems that everything there is now, once was and will no doubt be again, although it may be called a different name.

The sad thing is, we - us - we did it all to ourselves and until we - us - humanity learn to live in peace with other, we will continue to do it to ourselves.


I feel I am going in circles

Good write

jen




Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I think this was a great piece. I would like to read more of it, but if there weren't another piece, I would still feel like this was a complete and wonderful peice, and one you should be very proud of. great work.


Richard.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I enjoyed this read. It did seem incomplete just as you said, but it makes me eager to read parts 2 and 3. You did a great job with this, and are very talented. The last two stanzas make this for me...I loved the beginning too, but the end...it was brilliantly written, as I anticipated it would be and the words rang true, especially "I don't know what kind of world you will grow up in, I only hope that you will be a son of a new and better society." So true. Great job Nico. =)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Kit
very interesting, and yes i agree with you it in infuriatingly incomplete but I happen to love it that way. it draws you in, keeps the reader looking for more. very nicely done piece, interesting in form.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1221 Views
87 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 6 Libraries
Added on April 4, 2008
Last Updated on April 4, 2008

Author

Nico
Nico

Montreal, Canada



About
49 year-old italian male who's been writing for a long time, took a long break from writing and it's only in the past year and a half that I have rediscovered my passion for writing again.....I love r.. more..

Writing
Wings and Roots Wings and Roots

A Poem by Nico


Where to hide Where to hide

A Poem by Nico



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


He is My Son He is My Son

A Story by Rain