To Say I Loved You

To Say I Loved You

A Story by Nicole Renee
"

Song inspiration

"

Oh god, oh god. I can’t believe I’m doing actually doing this…well, I can’t believe I agreed to this in the first place… The thought was interrupted by one of the microphones being too close to the speaker system, the manager of the Singing Ink Club sighing heavily as everybody tried to fix the problem. The twenty three year old turned her head back towards the mirror in the dressing room, staring at herself nervously. What made me does this, always….Oh wait. Guilt. Thanks to Sherrill, of course. It’s my gift to her, though…to show that I’m not a sucker for working with Henry to make her a duet love song. The nervous twitches were staring up by the girl’s eyes, shaking her head to scare them away. Yet it only just made her ebony shoulder length hair go into her eyes, which cease to solve anything.  A few large elephant like stomps came up behind her, a man with a lit cigar with almost dried lips having a small smile on his face, which looked younger than he really was.

“Amelia, show’s on in five minutes….Are you ready for this?”

“Yeah, I’m sure. It’s better doing this now than never, Raoul…. I don’t want to be a disappointment to anybody in my life.

The manager just nodded, inhaling deep from the raspberry flavored cigar. He blew a medium sized cloud, walking away with his back turned towards Amelia. Her fingers shook slightly, gripping them to make her concentrate on the aftermath of the song, which was hopefully to put a smile on Sherrill’s face.  “Please like this song, Sher. Please…” Amelia pushed herself up, nabbing the wooden guitar that was by the chair she was sitting on. She walked towards the velvet curtain, peaking to see the crowd growing steadily. Taking a deep breath, Amelia stood and waited impatiently for the moment to come, hearing Raoul speaking to the assistant manager about the lights.

 

The minutes had gone by fast, the time already being 7:00 exactly. Nobody expected the crowd to get big, especially if it was for a birthday gift to somebody. But since Sherrill Stoker was thrilled, and had wanted all of her friends, even a few relatives, to see the performance.  Four months ago, she had asked Amelia Patterson, her long time best friend, if she could write a song. But it was on one condition. To write it as a duet, and with Henry Paulson, the man that used to be with Amelia. The challenge was to make it about love and to write each part separately so it was a collaboration song.

Henry and Amelia started going out her senior in high school, and the relationship went throughout college. But everything turned sour when Janelle, a friend of Henry’s, suddenly kept on calling for him. It wasn’t that Henry was cheating on Amelia, which wasn’t the case.

The fact of it was that Amelia was afraid that she would lose to Janelle, and was scared that she was becoming boring to Henry since they had been dating for about four to five years. So in turn of her emotions, Amelia had confronted Henry about her, asking if he would ever date Janelle.

So would you date Janelle if you weren’t with me?

Henry’s baby blue eyes flickered for a moment, unsure on what to say. If he said that he wouldn’t date her, Amelia would question him more. If he said he would date Janelle, then she’d be steamed. So holding his breath, Henry thought of something that would hopefully piece up the relationship..or at least let the conversation be on even grounds.  

“Amelia….do you trust me?”

The question surprised Amelia, her emerald eyes softening at the wonderment of how Henry wasn’t like other guys. “..What?”

“I said do you trust me?” Henry swallowed hard, hoping for some form of an answer.

Amelia gripped the bedroom couch with fear, but tried to hide it. “Of course, I do. I just feel…I don’t want…..” The tears were swarming up into Amelia’s eyes, bowing down her head so Henry couldn’t see her face.
“Amelia, if you trust me, then trust that we need to maybe stay away from each other for a while….to see if we’re still in love with each other now or years ago when we met.” A long pause was between the couple, the tears shedding silently in their hearts. “Of course, Henry. Of course…”

 

The words choked Amelia, her legs wanting to collapse underneath her. A frown formed upon Henry’s lips, walking towards Amelia to lay a hand on the top of her hand. He wanted to say more, to say that he still cared and loved her, but they weren’t coming out. Amelia slipped her hand off from underneath his, instead putting her hand on his for a brief moment. But the feeling of suddenly being lost came over Amelia, walking past Henry to sit on the couch that she had gripped onto beforehand.

A light sigh was heard, and then the footsteps of a crumbling love were walking away, the door shutting behind as small sobs came into play.

 

Hearing the faint sound of a light sounding male voice over the crowd’s heads, Amelia closed her eyes shut, taking a breath before stepping out onto the stage as her name was being called. The lights spilled down surprisingly bright upon Amelia as she walked next to the stood with the glasses of water, hearing the familiar name that was in her life two years ago. “..And here with Amelia Patterson is the duet partner in crime; Henry Paulson!” The crowd cheered, alerting Amelia to make her eyes stare at the man walking upon the stage. His baby blue eyes were still intact and beautiful, yet his hair had gotten a little longer and he now had a stubble beard. His face was vibrant with happiness, yet it was to mask the pain that was buried inside of him. Amelia smiled a little bit, wishing that she wasn’t so scared back then.

When the lights turned towards Henry, he nodded to everybody and tried to keep his head up and steady. But of course, when he saw the woman that made his life paradise, Henry could do anything but keep his head steady. He noticed a huge change in Amelia, his eyes studying the curly ebony hair that was now past her shoulders, and the purple spaghetti strapped cotton dress that graced her fair skin. Yet Henry still noticed how her eyes sparkled, and how they were softer before than now, hoping he wouldn’t notice the hurt behind her eyes.

Coming up the stool with the glasses of water, Henry took a big chug of his water, thinking it was more tasteful than whiskey. Amelia repeated him, and then looked around for Sherrill, who she then front in the front row. Sherrill waved at the both of them, and the two waved back with small smiles. Amelia tried to ignore the melting feeling that Henry was giving her, and Henry hated himself for what he had done.


Setting themselves up, the strums of Amelia’s guitar flowed throughout the club, the queue to start the song starling Henry at first. But he put himself together as he put his lips inches away from the microphone.



“Livin' my life in a slow hell…Different girl every night at the hotel…I ain't seen the sun shine in 3 damn days. Been fuelin' up on cocaine and whisky, wish I had a good girl to miss me….Lord I wonder if I'll ever change my ways.’

I put your picture away...Sat down and cried today….I can't look at you while I'm lyin' next to her.  I put your picture away, sat down and cried today…I can't look at you, while I'm lyin next to her.”

The small chorus behind ‘ooohed’ in the background, the spotlight turning towards Amelia for the next part. She almost fumbled the notes, gulping with some confidence that she could make it.

“I called you last night in the hotel…Everyone knows but they won’t tell…But their half hearted smiles tell me somethin' just ain't right. I been waitin' on you for a long time, fuelin' up on heartaches and cheap wine…I ain't heard from you in 3 damn nights!’

Her voice ran all over the club, the silence making things emotional for the whole crowd.

‘I put your picture away….I wonder where you been…I can't look at you while I'm lyin' next to him!...I put your picture away…I wonder where you been…I can't look at you while I'm lyin' next to him..” The electric guitar that the backup guitarist strum his notes, the chorus singing while Henry and Amelia waited to sing again, making the two realize that they were still madly in love each other, realizing even more why Sherrill had picked them to do the duet with each other and not anybody else; their bond feeling stronger than ever.  

I saw ya yesterday with an old friend…”

It was the same ole same "how have you been?’ ” 
Since you been gone my worlds been dark and grey.”
You reminded me of brighter days…”
I hoped you were comin' home to stay….I was headin' off to church…”
I was off to drink you away!” 

Amelia shot him a worried expression, slipping her hand on top of the microphone that Henry was using; her fingers also touching his.

I thought about you for a long time….Can't seem to get you off my mind. I can't understand why we're living life this way…I found your picture today. I swear I'll change my ways…I just called to say I want you to come back home.

I found your picture today...I swear I'll change my ways…I just called to say I want you to come back home….I just called to say, I love you…come back home…

 

When the song had finished, the crowd screamed with excitement. Peering down at Sherrill, who looked awe struck from the heartfelt song, Amelia grinned with satisfaction and welling up tears. She was about to wipe them away before gentle fingertips touched her chin, wiping the tears away. At first, Amelia was afraid to look into Henry’s eyes, not wanting to show that she wanted him back in her life. But it couldn’t be helped when Henry turned her around to embrace her, pressing his lips gently against hers with a hunger for forgiveness and love.  The crowd gave a howling cheer as Amelia forgave Henry by returning the kiss, never wanting to lose him again as the cheering became a mere whisper to her ears.

© 2009 Nicole Renee


Author's Note

Nicole Renee
This was mainly inspired by Picture by Kid Rock, which you could plainly tell by the song Henry and Amelia song. Everytime I heard Picture, this is the story I thought of. The orange font is when they're singing together.

And when you read to where it says '�I saw ya yesterday with an old friend��, the I is bold and it's purple. It just means Amelia is starting again.

Tell me what you think! It's been a while since I've written some sort of story. xD

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

hmm this is a good song. Those are the same lyrics by Sherryl Crow, by the way. It is a really good job and I really enjoyed reading it. Keep up the good work!

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

507 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 2, 2009
Last Updated on July 2, 2009
Previous Versions

Author

Nicole Renee
Nicole Renee

Anoka, MN



About
I usually write poetry and short stories, yet I always come up with good ideas for novels. I did have a long biography on here,but when Charlie deleted everybody's work off of here on Friday the 13th,.. more..

Writing
10 Days. 10 Days.

A Chapter by Nicole Renee