Midnight Splendor

Midnight Splendor

A Chapter by Nicole Renee

                      The stars twinkled in the midnight sky, giggling of children accompanying them as though they were keeping some kind of comfort for the night. A few twigs snapped, but were faint to the eleven year old girl running ahead of her two friends, the giggling being louder than anything. They were in the rainforest behind a mansion in Jamaica and it was one of the main ‘play grounds’ besides caves that the children of the town played in at night when they couldn’t sleep. Victoria Jones spun around to see her friends coming closer to her view, her hair getting in the way. “C’mon you guys, let’s get going! Don’t you want to see the fireflies and Cilligo Jack?,” Victoria asked with a smile, her friend quietly saying of course in response. Cilligo Jack was supposedly an ‘imaginary’ pirate boy who only came out at the full moon by the waterfalls deep in the rainforest, coming out to find adventure, treasure, and a first mate for his future ship, The Calypso. Of course, this was according to Annamarie Smith, who was Victoria’s next door neighbor and a girl who liked to make up stories to see if anybody would believe her. Most of the time, they were fake and nobody tended to believed her. But when she had supposedly seen him and had a piece of cloth from his belt from last night, Victoria was right on it to investigate the story; she was brave and liked to find out things for herself.                                                

Stepping over tree roots and dodging vines hanging off the tree branches, a cool breeze hit the young girls and a glow came off from the area they were in. “Are those are the fireflies up ahead, Victoria?,” Elizabeth mumbled, feeling scared from the dark. She tried to hide it, but for comfort, Jane hooked arms with her. “I’ll go check.” Victoria ducked under a thick branch, having to army crawl towards the chilled air. When she stood up, a blanket of fireflies flew around the place. One of the landed on Victoria’s nose, a few buzzing towards Jane and Elizabeth. The two girls then went through the same branch Victoria had to go through, all three of them laughing and jumping around the place to catch a firefly until Jane remembered about Cilligo Jack.                                                                      

“Victoria, where’s Jack?” “We have to sing his song. Annamarie taught me it.” The girls gathered around in a tiny circle, trying not to laugh as they sang. We call for you to play,to plunder, to treasure snatch for this starry night! So Cilligo Jack, please come out to play!  The girls looked up and searched around. Nothing seemed to happen, much to their dismay. But then the fireflies started to gather around, as though to make a special curtain for somebody. Then a boy about a year or two older with a pirate’s attire jumped from above, a grin growing on his face. “So who wants to go find some treasure?”

 



© 2010 Nicole Renee


Author's Note

Nicole Renee
This story came easier to me this time! :]
The other one did too,but still.....
And this is set in the 1800's, about the time Pirates of the Caribbean is.
Oh,that movie's the inspiration,but the title is the main inspiration.

And Mircosoft was acting weird when I posted this, so that's why the third paragraph is the way it is.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

i really like this, you did wonderful.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

290 Views
1 Review
Added on April 5, 2010
Last Updated on November 18, 2010


Author

Nicole Renee
Nicole Renee

Anoka, MN



About
I usually write poetry and short stories, yet I always come up with good ideas for novels. I did have a long biography on here,but when Charlie deleted everybody's work off of here on Friday the 13th,.. more..

Writing
10 Days. 10 Days.

A Chapter by Nicole Renee