The Dream

The Dream

A Story by NoblePariah
"

A young man finds himself in a dream that will not allow him to break through in to the real world, every time he thinks he's escaped, he realizes he's back in the dream. But he's not alone...

"

The Dream

John bolted up in his bed, drenched in sweat. He looked around, was he finally awake, was this the dream again? He had been having a dream with the same exact events, which always ended the same way with him waking up, sweating in his bed. He called it the cycle. His head was spinning, he swung his feet over the bed and groggily made his way to the bathroom. He began to splash his face tasting the excess salt from his sweat as he spat. Everything was so vivid it had to be real, but that's what he thought every time before this. Only one way to find out.

He got dressed and began to walk into the living room of his apartment. His roommates were never home in the dream. The living room was empty, he was beginning to get nervous. He began walking around the apartment, checking the kitchen and walking by the bedrooms, but finding them empty he yelled, “Guys, Jack, Greg, you guys home?” There was no reply. “D****t!” he yelled hitting his fist against the wall. Everything was the same as the dream from his actions to the seven beer cans on the table.

He sighed resigning himself to his fate as he had the past couple of cycles. He knew what was about to happen, it felt like he had done this thousands of times, it was like a game that he couldn’t win. He began walking over to and stood in the doorway between his room and the living room expecting what was about to happen, solemnly. He stood facing the door leading out of the apartment, heart racing, and eyes closed.

Suddenly the wall behind him exploded with earthshaking force, chunks of the broken wall flying in every direction. Then it came, he never knew what it was, but it taught him the rules of the dream. He knew something was there and that it chased him every cycle, but if he tried to look at it, the dream restarted and he woke up in bed and had to repeat it all over. If it caught John or if he died the dream would restart. He eventually learned the route and some tricks that let him survive longer. He had recently realized that it was leading him to the main exit of the building, but he hadn't figured out the route far enough.

He began running to the door and swung it open taking the corner into the hallway with practiced precision. He didn't bother closing the door anymore it wouldn't stop this thing, nothing seemed to. He grabbed a newspaper from his open mailbox without slowing his pace. As he ran the length of the hallway he saw Mrs. Freeman, as she was opening her door. He ran by pushing her further into her room, she let out a yell of surprise. He hadn't saved her the first time, thinking it might be a new change to finally jolt him awake, but the screams he heard when that thing reached her was not something he ever wanted to hear again.

He continued down the hallway swinging his body to gain momentum as he made a sharp left turn into a dark stairwell. He jumped down each flight taking five stairs at a time and bending his knees to absorb the force of his fall. As he was running by room Two-A, he threw the newspaper at the door, which was now opening, without stopping. The newspaper flew into the room where Mr.Harston was standing, stopping him from leaning into the hallway to get his paper and saving him from whatever was chasing John.

John was breathing heavily as he ran into the lobby and towards the glass door on the far right of the room. He heard it smashing its way through the hallway right behind him. Now he was at the last lesson he had learned don't open the door, it swung inward and slowed him down just enough for it to catch up. He put everything he had into sprinting towards the door. As soon as he was close enough he lowered his shoulder and jumped, smashing through the glass. Over the crash of the shattering glass he heard a thundering roar like nothing he had ever heard before.

He had just enough time to wonder if he had done it, if he had finally woken up from this damned nightmare. The next thing he knew he was sitting upright in bed sweat coating his entire body.

© 2012 NoblePariah


Author's Note

NoblePariah
still a rough draft, just wanted overall opinions of the story

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oooh I love it! It's like a life game thriller!

Posted 11 Years Ago


NoblePariah

11 Years Ago

Thank you! This was the second story that I ever wrote, so it's good to hear you liked it!
Wow, this is good! You should turn this into a book, it would be really interesting!
I'd be really annoyed if 'the cycle' happened to me! XD
Keep up the great work!

Posted 11 Years Ago


NoblePariah

11 Years Ago

Thank you! I've been going back and forth with this and some other things, but I think I am going to.. read more
Gretchen Clarke

11 Years Ago

Yay!
I really like this. The ending is really great. In the beginning I thought it would be a stereotypical dreaming story, but it's ,much more than that. It's very powerful and intriguing. I love the concept you have used of your fears literally chasing you in your nightmare.

Posted 11 Years Ago


NoblePariah

11 Years Ago

Thank you, I'm glad you liked the ending, I was slightly unsure, as to if I should have shown whethe.. read more
Fae

11 Years Ago

No the ending is so perfect! You don't know if he's started the cycle again of if he's actually woke.. read more
For a rough draft it's very good; I didn't spot any mistakes. Clever premise.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

302 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 30, 2012
Last Updated on July 30, 2012
Tags: suspense, chase

Author

NoblePariah
NoblePariah

About
I am a writer trying to better myself in the craft. I'm 22 and in college, pursuing a degree in creative writing. Please don't add me and send me a read request without reviewing a piece of my work. .. more..

Writing
Harmonicas Harmonicas

A Story by NoblePariah