Dartmouth and what life could have been?

Dartmouth and what life could have been?

A Poem by Nothing Personal
"

A personal poem maybe

"
Life has that thing,
It teaches you.
And in one and half years,
It could come back full circle.

Small college, extreme winters
How could it appeal to men riding high?
One false move , one false step
Could spoil the so perfectly designed life
And the so called momentum it had gained.

Oh little did he know what he was doing?

It all came back to him on a snowy evening,
He was sitting all alone thinking of her,
Of the warm cottage where he would have been sitting;
She would make warm coffee with that smile on her face,
He would work on his term paper.
Snow would keep falling outside but they would be warm.

Oh little did he realize his momentous fallacy?

Now he sits back in his hot apartment
Types on his laptop this miserable piece
And claims it to be poetry;
When he should be finishing his term paper
And the multitudes of other what not's.
Nobody will make coffee tonight
As snow keep on falling.

Oh he does realize now.

Sometimes opportunity stands right there,
You can see it waving but you care not to look.
You don't see those three drops of tears
That is shed as quickly as they are rubbed off.

And then one and half years down the line,
Your choice is not so obvious to you anymore,
Everything you sought was there
The scope, the beckon of Ivy league
And her of course.

Cry, scream now
And take those frantic mid week flights
Escape to her all the time
But all time ain't always.

© Nothing Personal. December 02, 2010.

© 2010 Nothing Personal


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Hind sight what a horrible thing. Knowing what you needed and wanted all along was there with you and you let it slip away. Not regret is what is rooted inside the heart and to ease the ache there is nothing for she can't be with. Time is the only thing that can dull these sharp emotions. Great write.

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A sad, but heartfelt writing...sorry I took so long to read.

Posted 8 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
QC
Great write. I felt for the man described in this poem. He's so angry and sad. The way I interpreted it was that the man in this poem left his love for college instead of staying with her wherever she is. He left and now they're separated, probably never to be together again. Oh, it's the decisions we make that for our future today. He's not happy with the decision he made ):.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like the third-person viewpoint of this poem, it elevates the poem slightly above just being a direct emotional outpouring, but nevertheless has intensity and makes us sympathize for the character.

So, at first I thought I was just being thick, but I've read it several times, and to me, the story could be read in two different ways. Firstly, I thought that this is a poem about a guy who has given up an Ivy League college education and gone to a small college in order to be with the woman he loves, and when the relationship doesn't work out, he looks back and realizes that he sacrificed his education for a whimsical love. But equally, it could be read that he gave up a great relationship to go away to college, and now is thinking of the woman he left behind and wondering whether it was worth it. So, did he sacrifice love for education, or education for love? At first I thought I was failing to interpret the poem correctly, but now I'm sure this was deliberate, and it makes for a really clever poem which has lots of duality, and really makes the reader think about how they would feel and react in this situation. What is more important, true love, or education?

Very well written, interesting, thought provoking, sympathetic, insightful, and a good story well told.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ahhhh the 'if only's of our lives NP! The thing about life is, you get what you need, not necessarily what you want. But another thing about life is, from my experience, what is meant to be, will not pass you by. A loving expression of what could have been. The thing is, we are what we are, and it is what it is.

Smiling at you

very pleased to meet your work

Tai

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Inner reflection of regret and longing, I could see you sitting, thinking, tormenting yourself with thoughts of why? and what if?...
Though it may not have been intended, it was excellent to read because it is so personal, this is not an effort of creativity but a true piece of your own struggle with life and love. Wonderful and a little saddening.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great imagery!
This was very nice.
We shared the pain just by reading this.
Excellent, excellent, excellent!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Good one..!!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great imagery, it's very appealing. You take the reader to your world, and let them morn the loss with you. Very very good. ^_^

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

good job. Keep writing.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very good.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

648 Views
25 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 3, 2010
Last Updated on December 3, 2010

Author

Nothing Personal
Nothing Personal

TX



About
Hi !! I don't fuss too much about sharing a name or an identity. I came across this website and found it to be an interesting niche for writers without distinctive labels. It is a great place to befri.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..