The Glass barrier

The Glass barrier

A Chapter by Nwang

THE GLASS BARRIER
Every Thursday they had been meeting at the same cafe for the last five years.However busy they might have been; or hectic their schedule, they would meet with one another just to have lunch.

When you asked him about his lunch date, he would always give the same reply. “I am having lunch with my best friend.”

This Thursday was like any other. He entered the café at and greeted the owner. The café was the same; the deep red wallpaper, the old clock hanging behind the counter; the dark wooden furniture, and the dim light entering through the tinted glass.

He went towards their regular table, he found her sitting there, as always. Her dark hair fell perfectly, just beneath her shoulders. Her pale complexion contrasting the dim light, and her steel blue eyes shining brightly as always.
He took his seat across from her. He smiled. She smiled back. Then they began to talk.

They talked about mundane things, things that did not matter. They talked about life, they talked about family. They talked about everything and nothing. They did not talk about their spouses, did not talk about dreams. They did not talk about yesterday or tomorrow, they just chatted about today. They were just happy to be alone together, to not have to worry interruptions from others. They could at least for an hour, be themselves.

The waitress asked them for their order. He responded, “The usual.” The waitress smiled and went away. It was the same as always, steak and coffee for the gentleman, and Greek salad with iced tea for the lady.

Their respective spouses knew of their rendezvous, they never said anything. They respected their friendship, and they knew that these lunches were special to both of them.

People often mistook them for a couple. The owner and the staff of the café had been surprised, when they discovered that they were not a couple. But it was not their fault; anyone could have mistaken them as lovers. The way she straightened his tie and tidied his hair. The way he would smile at her and say her name like a prayer.

They paid for their meal and exited the café. The sky was overcast with gloomy clouds, and the streets were filled with hustling people and restless vehicles. She turned towards him and said, “I am leaving early today.”

He looked disappointed. "I will see you to the subway," he said.

“You don't have to," she replied.

"No, I insist."

She did not respond. She looked at him curiously for a moment then turned her heels and started walking.

They entered the subway. She walked a few paces ahead of him. He followed behind her thinking; somewhere, somehow, a glass barrier had come between them. He wanted to break this barrier. But he could not. He would not.

His thoughts drifted; as he watched her hair sway behind her. He remembered the cold winter night when he held her in his arms. He still felt the taste of her lips in his distant dreams; it tasted like ice and coffee, loneliness and passion, tarts and recklessness.

The memories rushed in; like a dam breaking and all the water rushing out. The memory of the day, he had asked her to marry him and she had replied, “Emotionally, physically, psychologically, I am yours Rav, but the world will never agree.”

They reached the platform, she turned to him and said, “Thank you for seeing me off.”

He did not reply. He just stood there and kept looking at her.

“I think you should go back,” she said uncomfortably.

Go back, he thought. Yes he wanted to go back. Go back to the promises they had made, go back to the paradise they had shared, go back to the time where he was hers and she was his.

He felt something rush inside of him, the reckless instinct inside of him took hold. His thoughts became blank. He saw the glass barrier cracking. He reached out and grasped her hand. He touched her for the first time in seven long years.

She looked at him. Then she looked at where he was holding her. Confusion and shock clearly plastered on her face.

The train arrived. The doors opened. He looked into her eyes; black orbs peering into deep blue. He knew he should have acted before. He knew he had been an idiot. He knew it had been a mistake from the beginning. Now as he was looking at her, he said what he should have said seven years ago.

“Let’s run away.’


© 2016 Nwang


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is speechless...just shut my mouth..I kept on weeping...I swear...this is something out of the world for me...the words lets run away...were the magical words of relief...great...great...

Posted 7 Years Ago


What a powerful story. I enjoyed the way you described the situation and the open end. Makes me curious to know what happened.

In general, I enjoyed your use of language and there were some great phrases: e.g.: "say her name like a prayer". You use a lot of repetition, and while I think it works in the main body, I'd eliminate some of it at the beginning. In the first two paragraphs, Thursday and lunch are both repeated several times - maybe change this or cut it a bit.

Here are technical notes:
- First and second sentences have a similar structure, both have a ; - maybe switch it up.
- "Then began to talk." Who talked? Is it "Then they began to talk." ? or 'he' or 'she'?
- "things that did not mattered" -> 'matter'
- "turned (on) her heels"

I realy like this piece, glad I got to read it.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Nwang

7 Years Ago

Thanks for your review and technical notes.
I reviewed this chapter before you formatted this into a book, so I'll just mention a couple overall observations. The mechanics of your writing are spot-on & the authentic nature of your descriptions are true-to-life & relatable. I already feel very attached to your characters, wanting to know what happens next. I feel there are tons of feelings between the two that you SHOW instead of telling. Great job.

Posted 7 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
AUU
A lot of passion of this. It's a sharp contrast to the punctual, correct way the characters are talking. Your style really lends itself to the imagery. Awesome work.

The opening paragraph is a bit awkward. Mostly the added on "; every Thursday." I think it would sound better at the beginning of the sentence. "Every Thursday they met at the same cafe for the last five years."

But, that's just my opinion and valued no more than your own.

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

188 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 3, 2016
Last Updated on October 12, 2016


Author

Nwang
Nwang

kolkata, west bengal, India



About
"When you can't change the world and you don't want to change yourself. The only thing you can do is create a new world." I write to express myself, my views and my opinions. So this is my world. .. more..

Writing
Ties that bind Ties that bind

A Story by Nwang


Branded Branded

A Poem by Nwang


Boundaries Boundaries

A Poem by Nwang