The Priestess

The Priestess

A Chapter by Nwang
"

Second episode. Please tell me what you think and also point out any errors. Thank you.

"

THE PRIESTESS

Hazel looked at her reflection in the mirror. Sometimes she wished she had black hair instead of her brownish mane, and instead of her hazel eyes she wished they were deep blue. But did appearances really matter? Did physical features really define feelings?


She turned herself away from the mirror, and looked at the night sky from her window. She let out a sigh. Her day had been hectic. Throughout the day she had been running around; filing orders, looking at shipments, and to add to her troubles her assistants had been all over the place. She knew that it was not their fault; they were all beginners, but that did not stop her from screaming at them. Finally, within the confines of her home she felt relaxed.


She glanced at the clock; it was nearly nine-thirty. Her husband was late. It was not unusual for her husband to work late, but he would always inform her. Tonight she had not received any calls or messages from him. She picked up her phone from a nearby table, and began to call him. His phone rang but he did not pick up. The call went to voicemail; she hung up.


She was about to call his office but gave up on that thought. He probably was in a meeting. December was usually a busy month for his firm, with the holiday season and the New Year, and she disliked calling his office because she had to go through a lot of channels.


She put her phone aside on the table, and seated herself on the couch. She lifted her left hand and touched her wedding ring. She smiled looking at it. The memory was so fresh in her mind. It has nearly been five years, but she remembers it like it was today.


They had been dating for three months, and it had been their first Christmas party as a couple. The party had been organized by a mutual friend of theirs. The party had been nice, but what she remembered so vividly was what had happened after. They had decided to spend the night together, and her apartment had been the closest to the party, so they were going to go there. He had been somber all night, but she had not asked what was troubling him. After they had been walking for a while she had finally asked, “What is wrong?”

He had looked her deep in her eyes and asked, “Do you love me?”


She had been surprised by his sudden question. She had known she had fallen for him. She had known it two weeks into their relationship. So without questioning his motive, she had answered him truthfully. “Yes.”


All of a sudden his lips had come crashing on to hers. This had not been their first kiss, but it had been different. Different than all the kisses she had before. Under the cold wintry night; she had felt like a blooming flower. The kiss had deepened. All the darkness had poured out of her, all her emptiness had been removed.  She had then come to a realization. Before that night; she had never been kissed.


The kiss ended, like it had begun. In an instant. She had wanted more from him, but before she could say anything; something happened which she had never imagined. He had gone down to one knee and had held a velvet box in his hand. The delight in her heart had been indescribable. Heaven had fallen on earth. The cold night had not affected the warmth she had felt, as the stars had been witnesses of the time she had said yes.


Her smile more radiant as she finished reminiscing. She glanced at the clock once again. It was a few minutes past ten. Now she was starting to get worried. This time she was going to call his office. Then she remembered. Today was Thursday. He probably had lunch with his best friend. Maybe he told her something.


She quickly browsed through her contacts and clicked on the name Daphne.


The phone rang.


No answer.


It rang again.


No answer.


It rang for the third time.


“Hello,” answered a raspy voice.


“Hello, Daphne.”


“Yes, Hazel.”


“Did you meet Mark for lunch?”


There was silence for a moment. Then Daphne replied, 

“Yes, we did.”


“Did he mention to you that he was going to be late today?”


More silence.


“Hello, Daphne. Are you there?” cried Hazel into her phone.


“Yes. Yes. Sorry-he told me there was a meeting. He was in a hurry. He probably is busy,” said Daphne in a shaky voice.


“It was just that he has not called,” said Hazel worriedly.


“Don’t worry. He is probably stuck in a board meeting. It’s December, this is their busiest time.”


Hazel nodded. “Sorry for the inconvenience, Daphne.”


“No problem. If anything comes up, feel free to call me.”


“Thanks. Good night.”


“Good night.”


The phone disconnected. Hazel stared at the screen for a moment, and then kept it back on the table.

Speaking with Daphne had calmed her a little bit. Her husband was probably stuck in a meeting. It went awfully long sometimes. Come to think of it; Daphne sounded kind of sick. It was probably because of the weather; it was getting colder every day.


Daphne had always been an enigma to her. They had spoken to each other on many occasions, but she was never able to truly understand her. There was something about Daphne; something different, something hidden, and she wanted to find out what it was. She could say that she envied Daphne a little bit. Maybe it was her regal beauty. Maybe it was the closeness she shared with Mark. Maybe it was-


She suddenly had a flash of memory. The memory of Mark looking longingly at Daphne. The way he had looked at Daphne had nearly broken Hazel’s heart. He had looked like he was hurt. He had looked like he was in pain. He had looked like he was in search. He had looked like he was in-


‘Ting’


She received a message. She picked up her phone and opened it.


It read: Sorry. Been busy all day. Could not call you. In a huge meeting right now. Will be late. See you later. Love.


She sighed after reading the message. She locked her phone and kept it on the table. She stood up from the couch and walked towards the balcony.

She sometimes reads too much into things. Maybe it is because she has a habit of reading between the lines. She should not be analyzing things between her husband and Daphne. Her husband was hers and that was the important thing. She loved him dearly; she was his priestess, and her love the eternal flame burning in his temple.


She reached the balcony and grasped the railing. She gazed at the city lights and the moving headlights of cars. She absently started running her hand over her stomach with a smile playing on her lips.


She knew her love was deep. Her love was devotion. Her love was prayer. And what greater blessing could she have asked for, than bear the child of her deity.

 



© 2016 Nwang


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

You don't know what have you done...you are really a great writer...I am gonna shelf this book in my library...

Posted 7 Years Ago


Anindita Janhabee

7 Years Ago

As I told u... this is really a fabulous chapter... and I know horizon... this is so much relatable .. read more
horizon

7 Years Ago

Thanks to you really...
Anindita Janhabee

7 Years Ago

My pleasure...
Oh my god Nwang!!!
your writings are so touching...
Yes I remember you sent me a read request for the next chapter. But I hadn't read this second one and reading that third one would be like skipping your works...
Yes, this is really very thoughtful and practical too...
Those feelings that Hazel had were quite obvious for women like her and that's what made this piece quite different. And about pointing errors,
you wrote "were going to go" in that apartment part. I think "were to go" sounds better.
Rest all was just flawlessly done...
The words you've used here add to the flavour of the whole writing...
good job!!!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Nwang

7 Years Ago

Thank you for your kind review and inputs regarding grammar, it helps me a lot. :)
Anindita Janhabee

7 Years Ago

most welcome...
You have nicely piqued our interest in whatever this "friendship" outside the marriage means. We are filled with suspense & suspicions. We can imagine the wife's mind trying to stay calm, trying not to jump to conclusions. Your very exact description of the phone conversation leaves us wondering if the hubby was there with the "friend" all thru the phone conversation. You're telling this as a nicely delicious mystery. Typically we could guess what's coming next in a rendezvous like this, but I honestly cannot guess. You've mastered the art of artfully building suspense without it feeling "manufactured" to be so. Feel free to read request me if you post more chapters.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Nwang

7 Years Ago

Thanks for your review.....will try to update soon.
barleygirl

7 Years Ago

You read-requested me on the next chapter, but I was reviewing this chapter to remind myself of what.. read more
Nwang

7 Years Ago

Thanks for the thought. It does sound kind of weird, I think I am gonna correct that. Much appreciat.. read more
Liked it..... first felt so connected to Daphne....now feel empathy for hazel.....its shaping up very good.... and the final lines of Daphne carrying marks child ...looking fwd to next chapter

Posted 7 Years Ago


Nwang

7 Years Ago

Thanks for the review!
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
AUU
Again, the passion is strong in your writing. You did a well enough job creating a bit of drama for the reader, giving us a bit of a window into Mark's world made it really easy to sympathize with Hazel.

"The call went to voicemail; she hanged up." *Hung up? I don't know. Could be a speech thing.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Nwang

7 Years Ago

Thanks for the review, and also pointing out the error.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

205 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 3, 2016
Last Updated on October 4, 2016


Author

Nwang
Nwang

kolkata, west bengal, India



About
"When you can't change the world and you don't want to change yourself. The only thing you can do is create a new world." I write to express myself, my views and my opinions. So this is my world. .. more..

Writing
Ties that bind Ties that bind

A Story by Nwang


Branded Branded

A Poem by Nwang


Boundaries Boundaries

A Poem by Nwang