Veiled Hearts

Veiled Hearts

A Chapter by Alskar

  Julien was last into his hotel room behind Kate and Varjak. 
  The three went immediately to sofas and armchairs adjacent to each other  - Kate and Varjak sat on the same sofa. 
  “Shall we begin?” said Julien. “Do you want to go first Kate?”
  “I’ll go first,” said Varjak, appearing behind Kate on the back of the sofa. 
  She felt hard thumbs press and click into her back - Varjak was massaging her, for no apparent reason.
  “We’ve found the Necrosis Stone. Well, we’ve, no, he’s narrowed it down to three locations: Glastonbury, Athens, and Paris. According to Julien and his readings with his gadget, these are the places he found to be the highest in ley energy readings out of anywhere else in the world.
  They all measure within five percent of each other and are directly on top of ley lines, so they’re our best bet.”
  Kate’s jaw was slacked. 
  Varjak was still kneading her shoulders.
  “I can’t believe you managed that,” she whispered, almost to herself. “I thought we had no chance of finding it any time soon. So you’re saying it’s just a matter of checking three places out, and we’ll know which one it is because of the pull of power?”
  “Correct,” said Julien, gazing at the window. 
  “I think I’ve discovered something just as interesting, but much worse,” said Kate.
  “Worse?” asked Varjak, pausing.
  “Varjak, you know we’ve known for a while that the undead are planning something big?”
  “Oh Christ, what is it?”
  “They’re going to do it. In two weeks.”
  Varjak’s eyes widened. 
  Julien stared at Kate.
  “See, when I landed in Verona, it wasn’t just any old spot I ended up in. Somehow I ended up in the field of a ley line researcher and he told me things. He told me that the ley power builds to a peak every twelve thousand years. We only survive as undead through that energy, and the fact it’s building to maximum means we’re going to be stronger than ever.
   And so are the undead.”
  “And I presume it’s building to a peak in two weeks’ time?” said Varjak, massaging her head now.
  Kate leaned back against him, closing her eyes with the sensation.
  She was starting to seriously wish Julien wouldn’t be there, helpful as he had been.
  “Yes,” she finally replied.
  “Probably why the undead have waited so long,” said Julien, quietly. 
  “Absolutely why they’ve waited so long,” muttered Varjak. “Christ Kate, how are we meant to build up reserves in two weeks? We just abandoned our facility, and we have no idea how the others are.”
  “Why are you saying it like it’s my fault?” she said.  “We’re going to have to go back there, dangerous as it might be. It’s near to a powerhouse anyway. We can check if anyone’s still there.”
  Varjak nodded. “Okay, plan.”
  There were a few moments silence.
  “Varjak, now we’re back together  - ” She loved saying the words, ambiguous as they were. “  - I want to discuss that night with you. What happened to that undead.”
  “Oh, oh yeah! That was really weird.”
  “What?” asked Julien, interest piqued.
  “I  - ” 
  “Kate revived an undead. Or so it looked like,” said Varjak.
  “Yeah,” said Kate. “He really was dead  - impaled on a sword. I watched him die. Then I touched him, remorseful as I was, and he was alive again.”
  To their surprise, Julien smirked.
  “Of course, it’s definitely all coming together now,” he said. 
  “Er, what is?”
  “Kate, tell me about your transformation.”
  Varjak smirked too. “Oh, yes! Of course.”
  Kate gazed up at him. 
  “Er, what?”
  “Answer the question please,” said Julien.
  She paused.
  “What’s to say?” she said, indignantly. “It was f*****g painful as Hell.”
  “Anything else you remember about it?”
  “Like what?”
  “Like your specific thoughts through the process.”
  “I just wanted to come out of it alive, obviously. I thought I was going to die.”
  “That was your specific want of the outcome? Just to be alive?”
  “Yes. I don’t know, something like that. If someone doesn’t tell me what’s going on I’m going to punch Varjak in the face.”
  “Whoa hey  - ” said Varjak, pulling her face up and looming his own spectacled one over it. “Why me? He’s the one winding you up.”
  “Because you’re an easy target.”
  Before Varjak could actually get annoyed, Julien hushed him with a hand.
  “I need to test my theory,” said Julien, jumping up and sweeping off to the kitchen. 
  He tossed an apple at Kate, who caught it with her sharp reflexes.
  “Rotten. Left it in my suitcase by accident on the flight over here. I want you to make it fresh.”
  Kate blinked.
  “What are you smoking?”
  “Think about it. You revived that undead with a touch, specifically because you regretted it and wanted him alive again. If I’m right, if you command for the apple to turn fresh in your own mind, it will.”
  “But I don’t understand. You’re talking about…powers?”
  “I am. Varjak and I discussed this  - ever wonder why he can fly and defy gravity?”
  Kate stared. 
  “He has his own power?”
  Julien nodded. “Correct. As does James  - he has the ability to turn human for some period of time.”
  She rolled her eyes. 
  “Ironic.”
  “What we said,” Varjak grinned. 
  He dropped down beside Kate. “Kay, go.”
  Kate stared at the apple.
  Okay, so be fresh, she thought.
  Nothing happened.
  Be fresh, she thought more firmly. Reverse, change, don’t be dead.
  The apple plumped up scarlet.
  Varjak grabbed it off her and took a bite.
  “Varjak!” said Kate, wrinkling her nose.
  But Varjak looked floored. 
  “That’s definitely fresh. She did it. She has the power to reverse the state of living objects.”
  Kate was excited. “I can revive people? What about my parents?”
  “No,” said Julien sternly. “Don’t go about reviving the dead. Once is quite enough. Have you never read a book woman? The dead will never come back the same person they were.”
  “Oi,” Varjak growled. “Don’t talk to her like that. Although of course you’re right.” He looked at Kate. “You wouldn’t try that, would you?”
  “I have read enough books to know,” she said, glowering at Julien. “It was just a thought.”
  “Get all thoughts like that out of your mind. You know, for two people not human, you certainly act it.”
  “Because we don’t want to be undead,” said Varjak, adamantly. “At least, I don’t.”
  “And undoubtedly I won’t once I’ve had my fun with it,” said Kate.
  “Understandable,” said Julien. 
  He stood up. “Kate, I don’t have a spare bed. One of us will have to go on the sofa or get another room.”
  “I don’t need to sleep,” Kate reminded him lightly. “Me and Varjak will just keep watch when you go to bed.”
  Julien nodded. “What are you both planning to do?”
  “Probably reappear in Glastonbury tomorrow. There’s no need to rush off tonight. And anyway, I don’t really want to abandon you here,” said Varjak.
  Julien waved a hand. “Inevitable if you’re going to Glastonbury. I don’t have the money to follow you to the locations.”
  “I’d at least feel better staying another night to keep an eye on you. Order a flight home tomorrow, we’ll see you off to the airport.”
  Julien smiled. 
  “I’ll go see what flights there are then. Excuse me.” He got up to leave, when a cylinder filled with lilac powder fell out of his pocket.
  Varjak raised his eyebrows. 
  “What’s that?”
  Julien blushed a little, taking the cylinder and holding it up to them.
  “Arnaud sent me this sample ten years ago. A powder that releases a gas lethal to the undead but not humans. I drop this and I’ll be fine.”
  Varjak nodded, evidently unnerved, and Julien, with a meek smile, disappeared into his room. 
  The day passed on uneventfully. Julien managed a six o’clock flight for the next day, so Varjak and Kate decided to hang around until then.
  They joined Julien for dinner in the room, both offering him more if he wanted it. 
  Julien waved his goodnight early at nine. 
  Kate was secretly delighted.
  Much as she appreciated Julien’s efforts, he was an irritating third wheel in her and Varjak’s pairing. 
  She didn’t mind being around Varjak with a group, but Julien was like that last bit of sticker you never could rip off the bottom of your shoe. 
  Always there and never leaving.
  She kicked herself. 
  That was far too brutal. The man had travelled here to find her and help them out, knowingly risking his life in the process.
  Kate knew she was just wound up because of the kiss Varjak had given her that morning. 
  Not annoyed  - she was confused. Confused, but clear at the same time.
  She’d been wanting to be alone with him all day.
  It never was right without Varjak around. 
  Varjak sat back down next to her on the sofa with a big sigh, winding an arm around her. 
  Really? Kate thought.
  “Well, baby, it’s going to be a long night. What’s on TV, wifey?”
  “I don’t know, some late night shows,” she said, with an un -sourced irritation.
  Varjak didn’t notice the tone. Probably because she always used to use it with him. 
  “That’s okay. We could just read books and be seriously educated on the art of zombies like Julien wants us to be.”
  Kate did giggle at that. 
  “‘Have you never read a book, woman?’” she mocked, laughing.
  Varjak laughed too, patting her hard on the shoulder. 
  Stop treating me like a guy! She thought.
  “Varjak Swinton,” she said loudly and clearly, reappearing seated on the back of the sofa. 
  Varjak blinked.
  “Er, yes mam?”
  “I hereby declare I think you are a babe.”
  “Tell me something I don’t know.”
  “I’m being serious.”
  “Because you sound serious.”
  “I am.”
  Varjak blinked again. 
  “I’ll roll with it,” he said, relenting with a grin. “Thanks babe!”
  Kate grimaced.
  “No, really,” she said with gravity. 
  What was coming over her? It was clear for a long time how she felt about Varjak.
  A year ago she knew for sure that he felt the same way.
  Back then it was her inability to decide on her feelings due to her feelings for Ian that stopped them being together. 
  Now that she hadn’t seen Ian in a year, things were clearer. The dreams were still there, though.
  Kate almost shook her head.
  No. She had decided those dreams were not indicative of her wanting him back, not necessarily. Just generally unfinished business, which they definitely had.
  So she was in the clear, in her mind, to be with Varjak.
  And, like Varjak would probably say, there was no time like the present. 
  Varjak raised a brow now. 
  “Clearly you also need to brush up on the art of pissing around. You sounded waaay too serious there.”
  Kate rolled her eyes.
  “Are you KIDDING ME BOY?” she spluttered. “Varjak, I love you. I love you I love you I love you!”
  “That’s better. Much more enthusiasm!”
  “I’m serious!” she whinged, reappearing arched over him, face in his. 
  “That’s nice,” said Varjak, face even.
  He didn’t believe her. Why should he? It had taken her long enough to say it.
  She kissed him because it was what she had to do then.
  She reeled back after a couple of seconds, forehead to his.
  “I’m not freaking joking this time,” she said lowly. “I do love you.”
  To her absolute bewilderment, Varjak gently pushed her off him.
  Immediately, her feathers ruffled. 
  “Are you f*****g kidding me?”
  “I can’t believe I’m saying this. Kate  - I can’t be with you,” he whispered.
  Varjak was serious again.
  It was one of those very rare occasions. But when it did happen, you knew how dire or important the situation was.
  Kate wanted to cry. Forget all the maturity and walls she’d built up in the last few years - now she was just a teenager again.
  “Goddamn!” he squawked, after seeing her expression. 
  He cupped her whole face in his hands. “Kate, look at the life we live. Being together is going to make it a hundred times worse. If one of us dies  - and that is not unlikely  - the pain  - Christ  - ” 
  He shook his head. “I’d rather just act passive, thank you very much. Makes things easier.”
  “No way!” Kate yelled. 
  Varjak shushed her but she growled a ‘No!’ 
  “Denying we have feelings and not acknowledging them will mean we’re just all bottled up and then IF one of us dies, the other one will be left wondering
  ‘What if?’”
  Varjak dipped his head. 
  “Valid point.”
  “Yeah, and if it’s a valid point  - ” Kate felt the tears choking her voice. “  - then why are you refusing to be with me?”
  “Kate  - ” Varjak began, reappearing on the kitchen table for space to clear his thoughts. “I’m in love with you. I will always  - Christ  - ALWAYS love you. But as for being your partner romantically? I refuse until we’ve seen this thing through and come out it alive.”
  “We can’t guarantee that!” Kate suddenly shrieked, reappearing in front of the seated Varjak. “We could have two weeks or less than to live! And you’re just sitting here, dangling off ceilings, expecting us to pull through and what? Go off and get married at the end of it all? I need you, Varjak Swinton. I need you now, not later!”
  “Oh God Kate  - ” Varjak whispered, then grabbed her forward, kissing her hard.
  “Yes  - ” Kate gasped, pulling him off the table and holding him against her.
  They upended themselves over the back of the sofa, where Varjak lay on top of Kate. 
  There was no breathlessness to cut the tension. 
  Just silence.
  They stared at each other.
  “See what you could have, you idiot?” said Kate, but there was a smile on her face.
  “I’ve always been perfectly aware of what I could have,” he whispered back. “But I don’t care what happens right now. In the grand scheme I will not be with you until the undead are defeated. If we live, this thing could be over by next month. Can’t you hang on until then?”
  “Not if we die tomorrow,” she said quietly, pushing a stray hair back into his swept style. “This isn’t me being some desperate high school girl, Varjak. We’re at a very real risk of dying at any given moment. Wouldn’t you rather know we were together at the end than carry on knowing we never got the chance?”
  Varjak kissed her again. 
  “I know Kate. But you don’t understand. You can’t  - I lost one wife already because of the undead. The woman I married. If you die, I refuse to go through it again.”
  Kate blinked. 
  “Your wife was killed by the undead?”
  “Something I never told you. A long story  - I’ll tell you later on, when we’ve cleared this up.”
  “This won’t be cleared up unless you become my partner, Varjak. And what if you’re the one to die? You always think you’re infallible but you’re not. Just as vulnerable as me, you are, though you don’t like to think so. I would be a much happier person knowing I’d been with you at end and battled with you as your girlfriend than not.”
  “Girlfriends and boyfriends are irrelevant and pointless to you and me,” snapped Varjak. “Why do we have to label what we have?”
  “Because it means we are together. Whereas now, we are not. Don’t you see? I’m by your side fighting physically, but I’m not your life partner. Not in the way I want you to be  - ”
  “And I want me to be.”
  “Then, BE!” she growled, kissing him again. 
  Varjak didn’t push her away this time, instead relaxing his weight into her and winding his fingers through her curls.
  They parted slightly.
  “If you still want to be together at other side of this thing, I will be with you a thousand times over. I will propose to you, Kate Adams, on the freaking spot. But you will not change my mind on this.”
  “Selfish,” she muttered, as Varjak fell down to her right side, so they were now lying facing each other.
  “It is. But labelling it or putting a ring on it or whatever it is will just make it more official in my mind what I’ve lost. Don’t make me go through it.”
  “We can’t even act like this?” she whispered against his lips.
  “No, because this is like going out but without the label.”
  “I thought the label was the problem?”
  “The main one,” Varjak sighed. “If we also ACT like it, we may as well be actually doing it. No. This night will be our last until this thing is over. And I want this night Kate, and so do you. Let’s not let either of our wants get in the way of it.”
  Kate bit her tongue. 
  “Yes,” she agreed quietly, and they kissed tenderly.
  If Julien hadn’t been in the next room, nothing would have stopped Kate taking  full advantage of that one night she had with Varjak.
  As it was, the two just lay together all night, murmuring things occasionally and stroking each other’s hair. 
  They fell asleep together  - something Varjak had not done in eighteen years. 
  Again, no Ian dreams appeared.
  Kate was at home. 


© 2012 Alskar


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

A very angsty addition, here. I would think Julien would be smarter than to return home. I kept waiting for Kate to have passionate sex with Varjak, but alas. The end result was a compensation. Not bad. The leading up to it was phenomenally stressful, but fulfilling. No Ian. I am appeased.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

189 Views
1 Review
Added on March 21, 2012
Last Updated on April 27, 2012


Author

Alskar
Alskar

Edinburgh, United Kingdom



About
more..

Writing
<i>Snowfield</i> Snowfield

A Poem by Alskar


N I M B U S N I M B U S

A Book by Alskar