Coffee Talk

Coffee Talk

A Story by Rosegal95
"

As a barista, I see so many people each day. just my personal thoughts on regulars and everyone else.

"
I stand here, and I know most of you...
but I don't really know any of you. 
There's the man, my age...I know you outside of here too, you come in sometimes and try to make me smile, you stand at the counter and talk to me while I work. It makes me happy to know that someone cares enough to talk to me while I work. my co workers all know you too. they think you're sweet. 
The older lady, not one of us knows your name. we all feel bad about that.  with the younger children, I know you had cancer. I know you cant speak now. but I see the love you pour out too your small children, I wonder how you feel at night. do you regret any choices in your life? how do your children feel? I love when you come in with confidence, high heels and cute wigs and scarves.
The gentleman who comes in, dressed in a suit. you always are meeting with someone new. But what do you do? Are you a salesman? a realtor? a lawyer? I like to think you're a lawyer. 
you are kind, you are tall and handsome. But you seem to have a firm side to you. 
The christian man with the large beard, you have a cross on the back of your Harley that you ride here. you sit at your table to read your bible and always ask me how i'm doing spiritually.
I know you sit there and you pray for each one of us. I thank you so much for that. 
The old man with the sleeves, we all know you by name. we all know your drink: Small mug of coffee, child sized cup of Ice. you come and go all day long. you always tip, you always come behind the counter and hug us. you have your nicknames for all of us. (mine being rainbow, because my hair is never the same color for long) you are the kindest one. you always have a gift for us or words of wisdom. (you are always right too)
Mr. "French vanilla latte" and your wife: Mrs. "Large iced chai tea latte, 2 pumps", you two are some of my favorite people. we always talk about church. you always have something encouraging to say, you always have a hug to give. and I always wish I had more time to spend talking with you. 
Then there is Mr. 21. with your gauges and your band t-shirts. I'll fully admit here, if you were to ask me on a date...I would definitely say yes. we could sit down and Ill drink my black coffee, you can drink your large Caramel cooler (moosed of course) and we can talk about Vape pens and our favorite music. 
Of course, as always, there's the ones I don't know. The ones from out of town, the ones who don't tip, the ones who have me remake your drink 8 times in a row. (even though you totally didn't order right) the ones who genuinely ask how my weekend was, the ones who take forever to order, the Cute boys, the girls I wish I was as pretty as, the moms, the dads, all of you. I wish I could talk to you all and find out who you really are. 
I can't even tell you the amount of first dates I've seen...what you don't know is that we all talk about it, we all take turns guessing if you two will ever come in together again, if you will leave in one car or go your separate ways, if it will be a hug or a kiss or a simple handshake when you do say goodbye. (most of the time we are right) 
The amount of struggling college students, the number of old couples who still take the time to date their spouse by going to coffee every morning together. I've seen parents come and exchange children for the weekend, I've seen painful conversations, I've seen people come in needing a job. I've seen tears and laughter...
I see this all from behind the counter. constantly wondering why you are the way you are. 
Then again...all I can do is wonder. because again. I really don't know any of you, do I?

© 2016 Rosegal95


Author's Note

Rosegal95
I'd love to hear opinions, I don't usually write things in this style or length!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

It seems that the speaker has so many questions about that person, it looks like she knows so many things about him but all of them are guessing... The concept is unique, I loved the way you described little things about that person, it made the reader more curios about the character of that person.... This is a brilliant piece of thought provoking story... Thank you very much for sharing....

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

189 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 30, 2016
Last Updated on March 30, 2016
Tags: coffee, thoughts, wondering, work, public

Author

Rosegal95
Rosegal95

Baxter, MN



About
I have always liked to write, ever since I was very young. I was constantly writing short stories and making up new concepts in my mind. I love to mainly write free verse, it helps to clear my mind. b.. more..

Writing
I miss you. I miss you.

A Story by Rosegal95