6 Heroes

6 Heroes

A Story by Odayin
"

6 elite warriors are asked to stay behind and delay the enemy in order for their king to escape across the border.

"

The Commitment     

     

     We watched as the enemy army formed at the horizon like moths at a light. We knew we were outnumbered, but if our king could cross the border, he would be safe.
I watched our tactician, Lired; look at the walls around us. They were closer than any other part of the canyon that we were trying to escape from, no wider than 10 men abreast. He knew we had to slow the enemy down a little, even if it was just to lower their moral, to be able to get across the border.


"Emry!" he snapped curtly at my Vindor's leader. A Vindor was an elite group of 6 warriors. Each one was made up of two archers, two swordsmen, and two spearmen. I was one of the spearman.


"Yes sir?" came Emry's reply as be trotted over to Lired. Everyone in each Vindor usually got along well, but even if that wasn't the case, we all respected each other’s abilities as some of the finest warriors in the land. And I respected Emry, as one of our archers and an amazing leader.


"Your Vindor is the best we have, and I know you aren't afraid to die for your king."
Emry looked at the canyon walls and nodded in understanding, "It would be an honor sir." he put his hand on the tactician's shoulder, "Bring the king home, we'll do our job here, sir."


"You'll be remembered as a hero forever, Emry." the reply was soothing and I could see Emry straighten his shoulders slightly. Then Lired turned away to go address matters for the king.


"Vindor One, on me, regroup on me." Emry's call came across the encampment. I and the other 4 warriors responded. "Okay, we have been given the honor of trading our lives for the king," Emry didn't bother sugar coating it, "Drait, Corden," Corden and I nodded, "You two will be on our flanks. You'll have extra spears for javelins as well." Corden and I nodded once more. "Klore and Jice," the two swordsmen nodded, "I want you two in the center but slightly more forward with shields to protect from incoming arrows. Arisica and I will be in the back providing cover fire.


Everyone nodded understanding. At least that’s something, I thought to myself. After all, Arisica and Emry's skill with a bow was legendary.

* * *

The army was closer now, a lot closer. We started to move to our post, the spot we would stand until we had to fight, and probably the last place we would ever stand.
I could feel the eyes on me.


They were hundreds of them, and they were all from our own comrades. We could hear them muttering to one another in hushed voices. I imagined that they were saying something along the lines of, 'Wow, Vindor One! Are they really going to sacrifice themselves?' or maybe 'That's the King's Guard, our most elite force! Why aren't they protecting the King?' Well, we are, I thought grimly as a reply to my own imaginative words; which of course, were true. We are the most elite fighting group and first hand chosen as protection for the King. There was a total of 10 Vindors and they were placed in order of skill. We were the most skillful and the next best in line was Vindor Two, and they weren't nearly as comparable. Legend states that just one of our swordsmen or spearmen could take on the whole Vindor except the archers. Not like that was a big deal because legend also said that either Emry or Arisica could shoot through and snap the drawstring of both of Vindor Two's archers before they could even raise their bows. Now, how accurate these tales were was still undecided but it was still nice to have a great reputation under my armor, and I am quite a respected figure.


We had now arrived at the location of our final stand. It seemed like no sooner that my feet had stopped moving that Corden was already complaining to me. He always tried to start a fight with me, and it was usually about something meaningless. This time was no different.


"Why are we on the flanks?" he asked in a drone-like voice.
"This is where Emry told us to be, and we listen to our leader." I responded calmly and responsibly.


"Yeah, but shouldn't we be up front? Where our reach would keep them at bay?" he retaliated in a leaning voice.


Normally, this would make sense. Unfortunately, it seems Corden had forgotten one thing that made this time so different. "This isn't like the other times," I told him, my voice rising in proportion with his, "We don't have shields! We are javelin throwers as well as spearmen. We're on the flanks to protect the archers from getting hit on the sides by the enemy swordsmen. If we were out front, they would shoot 5 arrows into your throat before you even raised one of your spears!" After the words had left my mouth I felt multiple waves of heat course through my spine and into my limbs.


Corden was about to respond when Emry's voice broke the argument. "Enough arguing you two!" his voice carried light and crisp. "Get on the flanks, there isn't much time left!"
I looked at the horizon and saw that he was right. We were about two minutes prior to battle. I looked behind me and saw that the rest of our army was almost out of sight. Only a few stragglers left here and there.


I rushed back to my position on the flank and my thoughts briefly wandered to my fights with Corden. Everyone in each Vindor had excellent chemistry during battle; we all worked not as six individuals, but one Vindor. Corden and I were no different when it came to this. However, we didn't always agree, and with him as my counterpart, it could be dangerous for the whole Vindor. I knew that Emry sensed this and had actually threatened to clang our heads together to get us to cooperate. A few times he had even obliged.


This time was different though, we all knew deep down that it was a hopeless battle, that we were only here to stall them from capturing our King. Even the hope we still hold close to our hearts from our loyalty won't be enough to destroy the inevitable deaths that awaited us. This meant no more fights, no more missions, no more...anything.
I looked ahead once more at the approaching enemy, only about a minute away from combat range. I looked behind at where our own army was last seen running and saw nothing. Absolutely nothing. Nothing but the dust rolling off the canyon walls and brushing onto the tracks they had created.


We were alone.


It all seemed to sink in just then. The end was near. I planted my feet firmly on the ground and dragged my eyes forward, keeping my head slightly tilted down.
No Vindor goes down without a fight, and Vindor One doesn't go down without a human slaughter.

The Battle

I hear the repeating rhythmic "thumb" of two bows and I see multiple swordsmen in the enemy's front line collapse while clutching their bleeding throats where the arrows had pierced. They weren't quite in average shooting range yet, but then again, Emry and Arisica's shooting range was a good deal above average. The remainder of the gap closed quickly, with only a few of the enemy soldiers collapsing due to the archer's want to save arrows.


A few seconds before the two sides clashed, I looked up in the sky and saw a dozen dark sticks gliding through the air and heading right for us. I quickly looked at Klore and Jice, hoping they had seen the arrows as well and weren't too distracted with the approaching swords and spears. Luckily, Klore and Jice had both been expecting such a tactic and easily blocked the arrows that were on a death path and then braced for the impact of the enemy soldiers.


I watched our swordsman slash, spin, and swipe at the air, and all the while working in perfect unison to one another. Sometimes even seeming to block a death blow aimed at one another and then flawlessly switch positions just to protect one another. Already half a dozen bodies lay unmoving on the ground beside them.


I saw Corden step forward and quickly throw two javelins and then shove his spear deep into another soldier's chest. His movements had brought back my attention to any enemies on my flank. There was a small group of about a half dozen men running toward me, one was leading the others by a few meters.


I waited until the leader was about 10 meters away from me before I reacted. In one swift and smooth motion, I drew my spear-clutching hand over my shoulder for perhaps the thousandth time in my memory, then I let my body weight shift upward and forward before allowing my feet to land in a stair-like fashion on the ground in front of me; all while thrusting my arm forward with the power of my wrist, arm, and now my entire body, behind it.


I never missed my mark, and this time was no different. The spear that went soaring through the air from my javelin throw stopped in its path as it buried its heavy head into the breast plate of my opponent, right where his heart lied underneath his armor. He was dead before he hit the ground.


The other 5 members of his little attack party haltered for the slightest moment at seeing their leader fall to a simple spear throw. Their armor was built to withstand spears, but my javelin had gone through the breast plate like it was made of butter. Their hesitation lasted less than a second, but it was all I needed.


I threw a second spear in the same fashion as the first one and then sprinted toward the remaining 4 soldiers. However, I knew that there wouldn't be four by the time I reached them. I turned out to be right because when I was 5 meters away, I heard the rhythmic "thumb" of the bows once again and felt the wind of the arrows whisk past my right ear. The effect was instantaneous. The two soldiers standing on each of the sides of the small line were flown backwards as if a small, powerful, and concentrated wind had blasted them. An arrow shaft sticking out of each one's forehead told the story slightly differently.


I had no time to ponder the deaths as I had to start fighting for my life with my spear. I quickly whirled it around in a propeller movement to block the thrust of the first sword. Continuing with the spinning of the spear, I shifted right and, without letting go, flung the heavy head at the hands of the soldier to the further right and sent his sword flying several meters before landing uselessly on the ground. I quickly stuffed my foot just above his unarmored knee cap and put him on one knee. All this happened in less than a second and the hairs on the back of my neck rose in warning of a killing blow from the other soldier. Never stopping the flow of movement, I pivoted on my right foot and spun in the opposite direction, bringing the spear into an underhand position as I did so. His sword slash missed do to my evasion and I thrusted my spear head deep into the second soldier's throat and then back out again. He fell, writhing in agony.


Upon my retreat, I quickly put the first soldier (the disarmed one) out of his misery for my 4th kill and rushed back to my original spot. I glanced over at the right flank and saw Corden pulling one of his spears out of a still body and brandishing it in an expert fashion.


I hope he dies.


Wait, what? My conscious quickly argued with the rest of my thoughts. I don't hope Corden dies! I mean sure, we don't always get along; by he's part of my Vindor--but what if he wasn't part of my Vindor? Would I care the slightest bit about him? Would I even think about mourning his death? Or would I not lose any sleep over the fact that another random soldier has fallen. No, it's not just because he's in my Vindor, I have had some great times with Corden and we share the same interests--but what if that's just because we're forced to? No, that's not it, I do care about him. Or at least I want to. I don't want him to die...
My uncertainty inside my head was interrupted by a war cry from the enemy army.

 

Apparently they had regrouped and were going to send larger groups of soldiers at a time. They would be made up of groups of 9 instead of the 6 that they were sending before to no avail.


Emry ordered us to a more compact group, we would have to start fighting as one unit and forcing each one of the enemy groups to face us one at a time. Another bonus of the compact formation was that we could all cover everyone. I could even poke Corden with my spear now if I reached over, even though he was on the opposite flank and the furthest away from me.

 



* * *

Four of their groups had fallen, business as usual. There were no casualties on our side of the battle, which makes sense because if one of us were to fall, the rest of us would fall like dominos. We readied ourselves for their fifth group which was no running toward us.

Then, everything changed.


I had a bad feeling about this one. I looked over at Emry and could tell that he sensed it too.


The rhythmic "thumbs" from the bows had long since ceased at the start of each interval. The two small sections clashed with usual bashing of shields and swordplay. Corden and I reached in whenever we could to try and lessen the density of the enemy group. Men from the second row of the group tried to sneak around to the flanks and catch us by surprise; it was unsuccessful do to Corden and I's javelins.


Then, everything changed...again


It was just like any other time, with them sneaking around. I was reaching in with my main spear to try and help out Jice and Klore hold back the swarm that was now beginning to pile up as one of the enemy's groups of 9 reinforced the one currently in battle. I hadn't seen the two men sneaking around the flanks.


"Drait!" I heard my name being using as a warning call by Emry and I started to turn toward the flank. Just as my eyes met the enemy I could already feel my spear get tossed from my hands as one of them disarmed me. The other one thrusted a stab at me but a split second before it pierced my skin, it stopped. I looked into the enemy soldier's eyes as they stared unseeing and out of focus past me and toward the horizon. My vision shifted down and I saw and arrow protruding from his chest serving as an explanation for his death.
I had split second to silently thank Emry as the soldier collapsed to his knees and fell face first into the dirt. The second soldier had already begun his stabbing motion.


It was all happening in a matter of a couple seconds, but it seemed like everyone was moving in slow motion, and I was just a helpless spectator. I watched the spear head as it careened toward me. I knew this one would be the sure end; after all, even Emry didn't have the time to reload. Aristica would be helping with the crowd out front so it seemed as if all my allies of help were unavailable.


I tried to lean back a little to maybe dodge the thrust, but I knew it would be to no avail. This would be the end. Why does the end have to happen in slow motion? It's not like I can do anything about it! Just stab me and get it over with, stop this mindless torture!
But the end wasn't ready to arrive yet.


I saw the spear that was on a death path to my heart suddenly get knocked away in a blindingly fast deflection. Corden finished the kill with a half spinning slash to the throat. I didn't leave any seconds to die from hesitation: I quickly ran and picked up my spear and then pivoted on the spot to take a look at Corden.


He had saved my life, and I looked him right in the eyes. He looked back and I could feel the change. All those times of arguing, all those times of disagreement, all those wishes of death and hatred for one another had been wiped away like crumbs on a countertop. It wasn't the action of Corden saving my life that made me silently partake in the wordless truce, but it was just the thing that pushed me over the edge into a world of realization; and I had come to the realization that I had never hated Corden.


The words that were passed between us were all silent and done in a fraction of a second. It was all forgiveness, apologies, and a wish of friendship if we were to ever survive this mess. The worst part of it all was the fact that it was all too late. We were all about to die, and now we have come to the realization of all the time wasted. About how life is too precious to spend all the time fighting. All the times we missed. The eye contact had said it all, and it sent shivers up my spine of how foolish I have been.


A quick nod was exchanged between the two of us before Corden started rapidly making his way back to his original position. I watched him go, but he had only gone about a meter when it happened.


Neither of us had heard the multiple warning cry from our two archers. Not only were we way out of position, but we hadn't seen the company of a dozen archers that the enemy had moved onto the left flank that I was supposed to be protecting. The arrows could now easily fly at Corden and me because Klore and Jice's shields were far from protecting us.
So it was because of these mistakes that Corden was now flailing on the ground in front of me clutching an arrow that had pierced his lower torso. I bent down beside him to try and offer whatever assistance I could.


My skin started itching as I saw the blood start spilling out of the fresh wound like a bottle that was being overfilled. I leaned forward to try and put pressure on the wound but the blood was pumping out of his body too fast. We were way too far in the open; I could hear Emry and Aristica firing rapidly to get rid of the archers as well as Klore and Jice gradually working their way toward us. I focused on the wound once more; I knew I had to stop the bleeding somehow. I quickly pulled the arrow out of the wound causing a loud scream of pain from Corden's throat. I could see a new gap had opened up from when I removed the arrow and blood started flowing out of the gap as well as the original wound. I quickly ripped off a good portion of my shirt and used it as a makeshift bandage for Corden. I quickly wrapped it around him and tied it as tight as I could for pressure. The bleeding eased a little bit. I leaned back in satisfaction.


Just in time.


I saw the dark blur rocket in front of my eyes, just where my head was milliseconds ago. It was obviously aimed to permanently put me out of commission but instead it struck Corden deep in the throat.


I looked back down and saw Corden's hands fly up to his throat and try to childly grab the blood. His whole body started shaking violently and his head rolled slightly to me. I could see his eyes lock onto mine in a vice grip and he reached out with blood covered hands and started grabbing the air in front of me in the same childish motion. He tried to speak, but all the came out was sickly choking gargle that slowly started to fade away. The shaking was less violent now, and his hand dropped from the air in front of me and fell to the dirt leaving random shapes as the blood started to dry and crust. I saw his eyes lose focus and sight. Then he lay still.


I snapped closed my jaw that I didn't realize I had open and turned away. I slowly keeled over and vomited all over the ground next to my dead friend. After all, that's what he was to me now: a friend, but a dead one. I finished emptying my body's contents into the dirt and sloppily wiped my mouth, Corden's dried blood still staining my skin.
I looked around; everything was quite the same as when I had checked a few seconds ago. That was all that had passed, just a few seconds. Klore and Jice had worked their way over to us now and were covering my kneeling body with their shields.
I quickly leapt to my feet and readied two javelins at the same time. I strafed to the left of the small shield wall and hurled them at the nearest group of soldiers I had spotted. "For Corden!" I yelled at the top of my lungs as the spears hurtled toward my enemies. They collided with the two soldiers I had aimed at and then one of them kept sailing and struck a third.


I heard a sharp "twang" of an enemy bow nearby and I felt an unimaginable white hot pain in my right thigh as I lost all feeling below it. I saw the ground rush up to meet me and I did a half twist and landed roughly on my back. I leaned forward slightly to try and look at my wound but an immense pain in the left side of my chest forced me back down. I opened my eyes that I didn't even realized I had closed and saw a large wooden object sharply sticking out of my chest. The blood was immense. Suddenly I was surrounded in it as my heart was punctured and released all its contents. There was blood everywhere, I was floating in it. My whole life I had seen no color except red, I was drinking it.

Everything I had ever known had been nothing but blood; I was being eaten by it. It leaked ferociously into my eyes, mouth, and nose as I started choking on the substance that once gave me life. I tried to scream but the only language I spoke was blood. I just want it to end! Let it be over! I've had enough!


Then, like a candle being blown out, it did. It ended.

(Emry's point of view following Drait's death)

I felt the cry escape my lips as I saw Drait fall. That's our second man lost due to archers, and both of them were spearman. I had watched Drait tend to Corden, and I had acquired the utmost respect for him since he had done it. To see two skillful warriors and lifetime friends fall in an act of friendship tore me apart from my heart, to my soul, to my mind, and then back to my heart again.


"Aristica! Regroup on Jice and Klore's position!" I shouted to my counterpart while motioning toward the swordsman. We rushed to their rear and we closed into a tight pack. Formation is key, last time the formation broke we lost two of our men.


"Not too much longer sir," Aristica said to me. "We're two men down; we will get over run shortly. Not to mention, our quivers are almost empty."


"Let's see how many of 'em we can take with us," I replied to Aristica. Then I leaned forward and made a one word command to Klore and Jice, "Attack."


With no hesitation, I saw the two swordsmen simultaneously shuffle their feet, break into a run, and shout their own war cry as they slashed their way into the death party.


My reactions were instinctive, fine tuned from years of practice and experience; the bow was an extension of me. Take arrow, draw string, aim shot, and then release in a fluent motion. Over and over again. Take, draw, aim, release. Take, draw, aim, release. One by one I saw the enemy soldiers fall from my own power.


"The archers are back!" Aristica's cry pounded my ear drum as I saw the remaining eight archers from the original dozen come onto the right flank. "You work from the right," Aristica muttered as he took aim.


The four shots came out of my bow at the same intervals as Aristica's. Two by two, the enemy company of archers was eaten alive by us two elite warriors as we flawlessly shot arrows in between their eyes. The 8 archers were all dead in less than 5 seconds.
"Runnin' dry," I muttered to Aristica. I could feel the weight and rattle of the space in the quiver. Experience told me I had 4 or 5 arrows left. I glanced over at Aristica and saw he only had 6 left.

We looked at each other; and I couldn't tell whether it was years of being with each other, the power of our friendship, or just the heat of the moment but at the same time we both grinned and savagely shouted, "Time to go out with a bang!"

We each knocked three arrows on our strings and waited for the inevitable. About 3 seconds after we had erased the enemy archers from existence, we saw Klore and Jice get overrun. They both soundlessly fell together. They died in a last effort of trying to protect each other. No sound escaped my friend or I's lips as we shot our arrows. Six soldiers that had killed our swordsman and were now charging us dropped in a heartbeat. We had reloaded (me with my last two arrows, Aristica with his last three) in seconds and fired one last time. Five more soldiers dropped but their places were taken almost immediately by other soldiers.


"I never missed once today," Aristica told me with a sense of satisfactory.
"Yeah, me either," I replied in a casual tone as the swordsman rushed toward us. "Don't let go of your bow," I said gently.


"Never," he replied with a smile.

We both drew our daggers in a previously arranged plan. Standing side by side, with no gap between us, we waited. As soon as the swordsman reached us, we stabbed them repeatedly. After the first two had fallen, I felt Aristica's grip grow weak on my arm, then I too got slashed through the stomach. I fell on top of my friend and as we hit the ground, I rolled off so we were facing each other, bows still tightly grasped. Even though both of us were bleeding and in unimaginable pain, we smiled at each other.


I heard the soldiers gather around us to deliver the final blows. The darkness came quick, I didn't feel a thing. Aristica's smile still shone through my unseeing eyes. It was almost all over. The next step was no breathing and the closing of eyes. And finally...it executed, and it was all over.

A spectator would have seen Emry and Aristica's eyes close...simultaneously.


Epilogue

Lired stared at the sign in disbelief. They had made it, this was the border. Emry and his Vindor were truly the best, the only ones that had the ability that would never be beaten.
They broke camp just inside the border with good spirits of freedom. After everyone had eaten, Lired stood up to say a few words.


"Vindor One has fallen," he started crisply to everyone, "A build order for a monument will be executed as soon as we arrive home. A memorable monument for a memorable group of men. The six men of Vindor One had infinite braveness, skills, and personalities that I have never seen before. They had figured out the true values and meaning of life. They have already discovered the secrets we look for. We will earn this for them!" The crowd cheered, "We will earn it!" Lired shouted even louder and the crowd's cheers rose in equivalence.


Lired sat down for the night and went to his own tent. He stared up at the stars and he could almost see each fallen member's name carved in the dark sky through the small points of light. He smiled up at the sky...and he would swear, 'till his final days, that he saw the whole Vindor smile back.

© 2012 Odayin


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I think that you shouldn't care what other's really say..ultimately it's your name on the author's script. You are the one that began with a few words and built it into an extremely well written piece. You are on your way to being one of the most gifted writers on here. And there are quite a fare few. That was incredible...just incredible. Had me caught and hooked from the first line and made me want to read...need to read...desire to read onward. That's what a good writer does...he brings out that shy individual and allows them to become emensed into the authors world for the span of the ink...and they feel if they have done that then it's a good story. Just one person tells another..etc..etc...Just a wonderfully put together piece...awe comes to mind as well :) I am gonna read it again in case I missed something as I always do sometimes :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Shy Girl

11 Years Ago

You express scads ofLength is not what's important...you've already proven that even with few words .. read more
Shy Girl

11 Years Ago

sorry bout the typo...it erased "scads of emotion". Not sure how...but it skipped that word..lol :)
Odayin

11 Years Ago

Okay thank you for the confidence boost;)
I really am happy you liked it so much though



Reviews

I think that you shouldn't care what other's really say..ultimately it's your name on the author's script. You are the one that began with a few words and built it into an extremely well written piece. You are on your way to being one of the most gifted writers on here. And there are quite a fare few. That was incredible...just incredible. Had me caught and hooked from the first line and made me want to read...need to read...desire to read onward. That's what a good writer does...he brings out that shy individual and allows them to become emensed into the authors world for the span of the ink...and they feel if they have done that then it's a good story. Just one person tells another..etc..etc...Just a wonderfully put together piece...awe comes to mind as well :) I am gonna read it again in case I missed something as I always do sometimes :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Shy Girl

11 Years Ago

You express scads ofLength is not what's important...you've already proven that even with few words .. read more
Shy Girl

11 Years Ago

sorry bout the typo...it erased "scads of emotion". Not sure how...but it skipped that word..lol :)
Odayin

11 Years Ago

Okay thank you for the confidence boost;)
I really am happy you liked it so much though
I can't even begin to understand how you got such a devloped idea for this, i couldn't help but feel as though it was a small part in a book. This was really well written, I've been reading a lot of Middle ages battle stories but this had me so caught up with the charactors... i loved it

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Odayin

11 Years Ago

Thank you! I was really proud when I had firs written it because it was the type of stuff that I li.. read more
This is really great! You don't need to worry about your writing in anyway. Your ability to create a world so easily in such a short piece of writing (relatively) is great. I was really pulled it. Amazing story :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Truly amazing. I could see each image flashin Through my mind like the fourh of July fire works. I fel as thought I was the character who was narrating and it inspired me and made me wish I could be a part of something like that. It felt so real as thought I was hearing it from a history book in school. For a second I hough this actually happened and I wish I could write like hat. Great work keep it up.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

548 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 1, 2012
Last Updated on November 18, 2012
Tags: Hero, elite, vindor, emry, drait, corden, klore, jice, aristica, king, border, medieval, battle, war, fight

Author

Odayin
Odayin

MA



About
I'm just one of many trying to find a little more about life by observing everything in it; from the people, to nature, to every separate personality, my mind and thoughts have smoothed by the blessin.. more..

Writing
Cold Cold

A Poem by Odayin