Why Must There Be Change?

Why Must There Be Change?

A Story by Omegax45
"

At the age of six, the world is bright and beautiful. At the age of sixty-three, the world seemed much brighter in the past than in the present.

"
Why Must There be Change?
by omegax45


At the age of six, the world was a bright and beautiful place.
Books and television shows were lively and funny.
The good guys were strong and kind.
The bad guys were evil and cruel.
The family got together on the weekends and holidays at the grandparents' house for dinner.
Mom would cook dinner a few days a week.
Dad would take you to the park.
An allowance paid for a ton of cheap candy, a cone from the ice cream man, or that toy you've been eyeing.
Carnival toys were all the rave.


At the age of eleven, the world was not as bright as it should be.
Books and television shows you once watched were not that interesting anymore.
The good guys don't seem as strong and kind.
The bad guys don't seem as evil and cruel.
The family got together on holidays at the grandparents' house for dinner.
Mom would cook dinner once a week.
You go to the park more with your friends than with your dad.
An allowance doesn't pay as much for the things you want unless you save.
Carnival rides are more interesting than the carnival toys.


At the age of seventeen, the world is a mix of black and white.
Books and television shows were only interesting for a short while.
The good guys could be corruptible.
The bad guys could have noble intentions.
You rarely see the family anymore.
Dinners were microwaved or delivered to the house.
Malls replaced the park.
You get a part-time job to save money for the things you want or for future events.
Amusement parks replaced carnivals.


At the age of twenty-five, the world seemed to be more real than fiction.
Books and television shows were a luxury to enjoy.
The good guys and the bad guys had very few differences.
Phone calls and text messages replaced face-to-face meetings with friends and family.
You eat out more than at home.
You went to work more than the malls or anywhere else.
You buy necessary things more than the things you want.
Amusement parks were just for children.


At the age of thirty-seven, the world could be a dangerous place to live in for your children.
You try to keep up with your children's favorite books and television shows.
You can't tell who were the good guys and who were the bad guys.
The family getting together were either fun or bittersweet.
You tried to cook dinner every night.
You tried to take your children to the park.
You tried to save as much as possible so your children won't go without.
You're glad that carnivals and amusement parks were once a year visit.


At the age of forty-nine, the world seemed so strange, yet familiar.
Books and television shows don't make much sense anymore.
You could tell who were the good guys and who were the bad guys, but could still be wrong at times.
You looked at family photos more than meeting family member, some no longer with you.
Home-cooked meals tasted better than restaurant food.
Going anywhere but home and work was a luxury.
What you saved would be used for retirement.
You avoided crowded places as much as possible.


At the age of sixty-three, the world seemed much brighter in the past than in the present.
You looked for the books and television shows you liked before as used items.
The good guys and the bad guys were all the same to you.
You waited for the younger generations of your family to visit you for dinner.
You had more time to cook than before.
Going anywhere costed a fortune.
You spent more money on your children and grandchildren than on yourself and the homemade gifts from the grandchildren have more value than something from the store.
You only went to amusement parks and carnivals with the family and found them more fun when you were younger.


At the end of the day as you looked back, you wondered why so much had changed since you were six and sometimes wished for those days back.


At the end of the day as you looked back, you gave thanks for all that you had, but wished that the world hadn't changed so much from times long ago.

You can barely keep up with it all. The past was so much simpler. The present was complicated. Who knew what the future held?

Why must there be so much change in such a short time?


© 2015 Omegax45


Author's Note

Omegax45
Just a little drabble I thought up from listening to my elderly relatives' stories.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

273 Views
Added on June 25, 2015
Last Updated on June 25, 2015
Tags: time, past, present, fiction

Author

Omegax45
Omegax45

CT



About
I have published my second book in the series after three years: Hell's Detective: Lust. It is available now on Amazon Kindle and soon to be available as a paperback. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Omegax45


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Omegax45


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Omegax45