Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

A Chapter by Omegax45
"

Queen Usio comes with a new challenge. This time, both Rose and Rowen must work together to survive it.

"

The Game

by omegax45

 

 

Chapter Eight

 

                        Another several days have passed.  The previous challenge was still fresh in the minds of the noble girls and Rose.  It was the topic at every meal, everyone creating hypothesis after hypothesis that were either agreed upon by some as well as dismissed by others.  Rose did her best not to get involved.  She was still angry at the noble girls both using her and accusing her during the challenge.  She knew they would’ve done something like that, but it still hurt.  She wanted to believe in the goodness in other, but experience trained her otherwise.

                        Rose found herself looking at her old dress at night, wishing to be back on the streets with Joseph and not have to deal with the game.  She didn’t want to leave Rowen and Marin, who were so kind to her, as well as a few of the servants that she had become friends with, and yet she felt unsafe with the noble girls.  Even the noble men sent a shiver of fright down her spine each time she saw them.  The poor seamstress couldn’t figure out why.  She was afraid of the answer.

                        The servants were used to coming to her room and seeing it so clean.  They would sometimes tell her stories about how they would clean the noble girls’ rooms and find things that either horrified them or gave them a laugh.  Golde’s room would have crumbs or plates of half-eaten food (how she managed to sneak food in was anyone’s guess) and they found Bridget’s vanity counter a mess of cosmetics.  Amelia’s room frightened them most of all.  They said they found strange liquids and countless papers full of words they did not understand.  They even found dead animals in several drawers and in her closet.  The very images her mind made caused Rose to have nightmares at times. 

                        One morning, Rose awoke to the sound of wagons and she went to her window to see what was going on.  Many wagons were being pulled by horses up the hill and led to the back of Redreu Castle.  The wagons were covered in cloth, so she couldn’t see what was inside.  The only thing she can tell was that the wagons were packed with many items.  What were they?  Supplies?  But Marin said they had enough supplies for the duration of the game.  So then…

                        ‘Perhaps Rowen would know,’ Rose thought as she went to dress, no longer able to sleep, ‘I shall ask him at breakfast.’

                        She dressed and waited for the servants to come and lead her to the dining hall.  She could find it on her own now, yet she feared the wrath of Queen Usio if she were to break the rules.  She had no money to give the queen, and she feared that the consequences would be her head.

                        There was a knock at her door and Rose opened it to greet the servants waiting for her.  She was led to the dining hall and she sat at her usual spot, being the first one there, and waited for everyone.

                        “Good morning Rose,” Rowen greeted as he sat across from her, a smile on his face, “Have you slept well?”

                        “Indeed.  Have you?”

                        “Quite.  I still hear the complaints of the servants as they air their woes very loudly at caring for the noble women, but I had no trouble resting.  It seems that the noble men have more manners than their charges.”

                        “Don’t let the girls hear you say that,” Rose giggled, “Lest you wish to hear their complaints in your sleep. 

                        “I noticed wagons coming this morning.  Many of them.  Would you happen to know what they are bringing?”

                        “I’m afraid I do not.  Since becoming a participant in Her Majesty’s game, I no longer have access to such information.  The only one that would possibly know other than Her Majesty would be Marin, but she would not tell.”

                        “Loyalty is our saving grace.”

                        They become quiet as the other nobles entered the dining hall, sitting at the tables and ignoring the two as they speak to each other.  The servants came out with breakfast, to which everyone ate peacefully for once, not even Golde and Joan giving any form of criticism.  Rose began to worry that the silence was a bad sign for something. 

                        “I’m glad to see everyone’s behaving like adults this morning,” Marin commented as she walked into the dining hall, “Her Majesty Queen Usio will be waiting for you at the entrance of the castle once you are finish.  A new challenge awaits you.”

                        “Finally,” Catherine said, sipping her tea, “I was starting to get bored.”

                        “Does it have to do with those wagons we saw earlier,” Octavia asked.

                        “What is in those wagons,” Elanor asked, “New clothes?  I hope so.  I am in need of a much better outfit.”

                        “Or maybe new food,” Golde’s eyes lit up at her suggestion, “Ah, something more delicious to eat.”

                        “Or maybe new toys for us to play with,” Amelia said with glee, “I would love to have something new to try on my darling here.”

                        “I do hope not,” Fayette said with disgust.

                        Rose stayed silent, not wanting to add to the conversation.  It would only draw attention to her, attention she did not want right now.  She needed to figure out what her next move would in be order to survive.  Rowen noticed the far away look in her eyes and knew that she was worried and trying to figure out what the next game would be.  He would’ve help her, but even he did not know what the next challenge was.  Marin was not telling him anything so he couldn’t help Rose cheat.

                        Once everyone was finished eating, Marin led them to the entrance hall.  All of the noble girls were excited and curious as to what was in the wagons more so than preparing themselves for the challenge ahead.  Rose was forced into the back, the noble girls forming a wall to prevent her from seeing up ahead.  She tried to move from one side to the other, standing on her tip toes to try and get a glimpse over their heads.  One of the noble girls elbowed her in her stomach, and it was thanks to Rowen that she did not fall onto her rear, the wind knocked out of her.  Soon, the entrance doors opened and the nobles ran out with Rose and Rowen following shortly, and stopped short in shock.

                        Several large tables were setup before them, and on these tables were several items that one would use when camping.  Hatchets, flints, bows and quivers full of arrows, rope, tents, and even lanterns.  What on earth would they be using these for?  Were they to guess an item Dios had once used long ago?  Were they going somewhere?

                        “Good morning ladies and gentlemen,” Queen Usio said as she came around a wagon and dressed for riding, “I have thought long and hard about the last time we have met, and I came to realize that some of you are not taking my game seriously.  Therefore, I have come up with a brilliant idea on how to motivate you all. 

                        “You are going camping.”

                        The outraged cries and shocked faces were expected.  Many of the noble girls have never once slept outside a building before, and they never wanted to.  Those like Octavia and Fayette looked pleased with the idea, as they had spent much of their youth training away from their homes and usually away from the nearest inn.  Rose wasn’t fazed at all, as her and the outdoors were usual companions.  They all should be fortunate to have supplies, for she had none many times but the clothes on her back and her sewing supplies..

                        “Our soldiers were forced to camp in the forests during times of war,” Queen Usio explained, “They stayed away from inns in order to prevent the death of innocent lives from invading enemies searching for them.  Dios was no exception.  By experiencing what Dios went through in his early days, I am certain you will have a better respect for the one that will be your groom.

                        “The rules are simple.  You are to choose one item from the tables that you believe that Dios used the most in his travels here and both you and your chosen will venture out into the forest with said item and a small pack.  You will spend three days out there and learn to live on all that is around you.  Once the three days are over, a soldier will come to fetch you and return you back to the castle.”

                        “I beg your pardon Your Majesty,” Amelia spoke up, “but please do tell me that this is merely a jest.  Many of us have us not once been camping.”

                        “I can’t sleep outside,” Emma cried out, “I need a soft bed to fall asleep!  The ground is too hard!  The insects will crawl all over me!”

                        “It isn’t that bad,”  Octavia pointed out, “I’ve done it before.  Just consider it a change in location.”

                        “I remember camping out by a waterfall during my travels to Glister Port,” Fayette said as she remembered, “The rushing water sounded so soothing to me.”

                        “But what about our servants,” Helen exclaimed, “Who will fix our hair?  Our makeup?”

                        “What about meal time,” Golde added, tears filling her eyes, “My meals have to be made perfect!  I can’t eat anything else but!”
                        “You complain about all of the meals,” Joan stated, “and yet you still eat them.”

                        “I have no choice!”

                        “Ahem,” Queen Usio cleared her throat, “The purpose of this challenge is for you to fully understand what Dios went through and take the game more seriously as his future brides-to-be.  How will your marriage last with him if you do not know the first thing about him, what he likes and dislikes, and how he had come to be one of the most powerful paladins of our time?”

                        “So you say,” Catherine agreed, “but I’m afraid there is one amongst us that has a better advantage.”

                        “The street rat,” Dorothy revealed, “She has lived outside all of her life.”

                        “Yes,”  Tulip agreed, “She has more experience than us.”

                        “She should be excluded from this challenge,” Catherine requested, “Octavia and Fayette’s experience combined would not even equal to the garbage’s own.”

                        “Sleeping on the streets is different from sleeping in the forest,” Octavia pointed out.

                        “How so?”

                        “There are beasts in the forest that will prey on you when you least expect it,” Fayette explained, “There are also poisonous plants that will leave your skin covered in rashes if you touch them.  Therefore, the girl’s experience is nothing compared to ours.”

                        “See,” Emma nearly screeched, “Then you two should be excluded as well, so why are we-“

                        “Enough,” Queen Usio nearly boomed, making everyone tremble in fear, “There will be no exception.  You all will go.  If you still wish to protest, you are free to leave the game and you can explain to your families why they will receive a fine for your stay here at Redreu Castle.

                        “Now,” she waved a hand at the tables before her when no one made anymore protests, “Each of you come to the tables and pick your item of choice.  Once you’re done, head over to the servants for your pack, and then head out into the forest.  If you try to run back to Mistral or the castle, my soldiers are on orders to attack you.  Whether you are dragged back for punishment alive or dead makes no difference to me.”

                        Realizing they went too far, the noble girls kept quiet as they glumly went over to the tables and began picking out an item.  Rose stood back and waited, wanting to see what the noble girls chose while she was also thinking hard what Dios would have chosen.  She watched as Octavia and Fayette chose a bow and a quiver of arrows, Raven and Golde doing the same after some encouragement from Christopher and Alfred.  Amelia took a moment to decide between flints or lanterns, picking up the latter a minute later.  Helen, Ivy, Joan, and Tulip chose lanterns as well, everyone watching the rest of the noble girls fight over the tents.  While their attention was drawn, Rose snuck over and picked up a hatchet, running her finger lightly over the blade to test its sharpness before putting it down and checking another, taking that one when she felt it to be sharper than the other.  Claire and Mary turned to see Rose walk away with her hatchet and decided to get one as well, not bothering to fight for a tent against the other noble girls.  Emma and Bridget crowed happily as they walked away with their tents in decent condition, Catherine and Dorothy smirking at Elanor and Pearl as they looked at their torn tents sadly. 

                        Once everyone had their chosen item, they were given a back pack from the servants.  Queen Usio smiled softly as she saw their chosen men comforted the girls, her eyes lingering for a minute longer on Rose and Rowen before waving to the servants to take the other items away.

                        “Now then,” the queen announced, “I am certain the men are ready for camping, but you girls could use a change of clothes.  I shall give you an hour to change your clothes into something more… appropriate.”

                        “But we have no clothes suited for camping,”  Bridget whined, “Anything I wear will be ruined!”

                        “Our favorite poor girl has no problem with that,” Catherine stated with a frown, “She has that rat’s nest of a dress to wear.”

                        “I don’t even know how to wash mud out of fabric,” Emma exclaimed miserably.

                        “So I believe that you wish to quit the game,” Queen Usio pressed with a smirk, “Is that right?”

                        “No,” the noble girls replied glumly, the idea of marrying into a powerful household too much for them not to pass up.

                        “Good.  Now, off with you.  I shall see you all in an hour.”

                        Rose followed the noble girls back inside and returned to her room, trying not to roll her eyes at their complaints and ignoring their heated eyes upon her.  She opened the closet and stared at her old dress, feeling a sense of nostalgia as she ran her fingers upon the cloth.  It was old, torn, and stained in most places, but it was hers.  She cared for it and wore it since she could remember.  It was one of the few things…

                        Rose shook her head.  Now was not the time to think of such things.  Hopefully, the time to never does come.

                        She took off the nice dress and placed the shoes inside, taking out her old dress and putting it on with ease.  She then put on her old shoes, her feet rejoicing in comfort.  Her new shoes were hard and she had yet to break them in.  They made her feet ache and she would sometimes rest them in the bath tub after bathing to soothe the soreness away.  In fact, she felt more comfortable now than she did since the game started.  She felt… herself again.

                        After tying her hair up with a ribbon, Rose headed back outside. She found herself to be the first one there, and Rowen came to her side as the noble men stared at her with slight disdain and disgust in their eyes.  Queen Usio didn’t seem to bat an eye at her, waiting for the other contestants to arrive. 

                        “You two may go ahead,” she told Rose and Rowen, “A soldier will be by in three days to bring you back.  I know Rowen knows this forest like the back of his hand, so he will know where the borders are.  If you have forgotten, they have been marked by blue ribbons wrapped around the trees.  I do hope you both enjoy yourselves, and remember.  This is an education about Dios’ experience, so do learn something.”

                        “Yes Your Majesty,” both Rose and Rowen bowed before heading out into the forest, hearing the complaints of the noble girls from behind them as they left.




© 2018 Omegax45


Author's Note

Omegax45
I am back. Sorry for the delay but I ended up a fan book and I am checking to see if I can publish it without worrying about copy right issues.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

73 Views
Added on April 22, 2018
Last Updated on August 6, 2018
Tags: fantasy, romance, society, mystery, demons, pact


Author

Omegax45
Omegax45

CT



About
I have published my second book in the series after three years: Hell's Detective: Lust. It is available now on Amazon Kindle and soon to be available as a paperback. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Omegax45


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Omegax45


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Omegax45