Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

A Chapter by Omegax45
"

The next challenge is on, and Rose is having her doubts.

"
The Game
by omegax45


Chapter Fifteen

Rose followed the servant down the hallways, being joined shortly by the other noble girls and their escorts.  Strangely, the escorts were all servants, some looking uncomfortable in being with the noble girls that she could not blame them for.  Her attention was then drawn to something else, something unusual. Where were the noble men and Rowen?  Should they not be with them?
“I wonder what this challenge would be,” Ivy asked everyone within hearing range, “Nothing could possibly beat the beauty of the ball last night.”
“I just hope it has nothing to do with more camping,” Bridget stated, “I can’t stand the imperfections of nature.”
“I would rather go camping than be at another ball again,” Raven stated with her nose in the air, “I almost became nauseous from all the perfumes everyone was wearing!”
“I hope it has something to do with Dios’ favorite food,” Golde spoke up, then noticed Joan about to speak, “Or his favorite book or weapon!  Something easy!”
“We are near the end of the game,” Octavia pointed out, “Things won’t be easy for now on.”
“Indeed,” Fayette agreed.
“Was any of this easy,” Emma stated.
“Do you have any idea as to what the challenge would be,” Mary asked Rose.
“I’m afraid not,” the poor girl replied, “Her Majesty is hard to read, so I cannot say what today will bring.”
“Why are you asking her,” Catherine demanded, “She is street trash.  What would she know about how nobles and royals play their games?”
“Well,” Claire paused for a minute before continuing, “She has been right many times before.”
“That means nothing,” Dorothy scoffed, “She could’ve been just lucky.”
“Or,” Amelia grinned darkly, “she could be psychic.  Seeing the future without realizing it.  Would you be so kind as to let me-“
“No,” Rose answered quickly and sharply before walking faster to get away from the noble girl.
“Hmph,” Amelia huffed, placing her hands on her hips, “Rude.”
“I don’t blame her,” Pearl commented.
They reached the entranceway and exited the castle.  They followed a path around the castle and towards a large clearing that was blocked by a few trees.  When they passed the trees, they were surprised at what was before them.
There was a large circle made of hay stacks, the noble men and Rowen standing in said circle while wearing light combat armor.  A wagon stood outside the circle full of weapons of different variety, several servants checking the weapons for defects and sharpness.  Queen Usio sat in a extravagant chair opposite of them in the shade of a tree, one servant fanning her while the other was serving her a drink and grapes.
“Welcome my contestants,” the queen greeted without getting out of her chair, “I hope all of you had a good night’s rest after the ball.  Today’s challenge will test you in the art of combat.”
“Are you- I mean,” Dorothy caught herself before the warning flashed within Queen Usio’s eyes, “I beg you pardon, Your Majesty, but do you mean we are suppose to fight each other today?”
“Don’t be stupid,” Queen Usio scoffed, “Your chosen will be doing the battling.
“Each of you will choose a weapon from the cart that your chosen will use in one-on-one combat.  The first to draw blood wins.  The victor will keep battling until he is defeated, then that victor will keep battling.  The last victor will win.
“The challenge will be you girls choosing the proper weapon for your chosen and if that weapon was the very same weapon Dios used the most.  Believe me, he used quite a lot of weapons, but did have a favorite.  
“For the ones that chose the miniature statuette last night, you may pick a shield as well as a weapon.  The rest of you will pick one weapon only.  The men may choose who will fight first.  The winner of the competition will have the honor of eating at my table tonight.  May the best warrior win!”
Rose was frozen on the spot as she was standing on as the other noble girls ran over to the wagon and began picking out weapons.  Was Queen Usio serious?  Was she really going to make them fight?  What if someone got seriously hurt?  What if…
She looked at Rowen, who was wearing armor like the rest of the noble men.  Can he even see well enough to fight?  To defend himself?  Her doubt turned into fear for his life, and she was about to tell Queen Usio her concerns when Rowen called her over.  The poor girl hesitantly walked over, the fright visible in her eyes.
“Do not worry so much about me,” Rowen said calmly, running a hand through her hair and resting on her cheek in an act of comfort, “I will be fine.  Queen Usio gave us specific instructions to not aim for anything fatal nor cause lasting damage.  Besides, another scratch on this ugly face won’t hurt me.”
“But…”
“It’ll be fine,” the head butler smiled brightly, patting her head, “Now, could you please fetch me my weapon, milady?  It would seem unfair for me to fight with my bare hands.”
“…Okay.”
Rose headed towards the wagons, looking at each of the weapons.  She picked up a sword that felt slightly heavy in her grip, the blade long but not narrow.  She also picked up a shield that looked sturdy enough and brought them over to Rowen.  Rowen put the shield on his left arm while testing out the sword in his right, giving it a few swings before he smiled.
“Thank you dear,” he said, making Rose blushed slightly, yet still looking concerned.
“Is everyone armed and ready,” Queen Usio asked after watching the men practice for a few moments, “Now, who shall we see go first?”
“We shall Your Majesty,” Robert declared as he and Vincent stood forward, the other noble men and Rowen stepping back.
“Very well,” she stood up, “As I said earlier, the first to draw blood loses, and the victor will move forward until he is defeated, and so forth until only one victor remains.  Now, begin!”
The noble girls cheered as Robert and Vincent began fighting.  Their swords clashed with one another, sparks flying until Robert swiped fast and cut into Vincent’s arm, a small amount of blood staining the torn fabric of his sleeve. 
“Vincent,” Ivy cried out in fear and disbelief.
“I am all right,” Vincent smiled at her, wincing in pain as he held his arm.
“You are defeated Vincent,” Queen Usio declared, “Head out of the ring and to the healers.  Next challenger, please.”
“Don’t go easy on me,” Patrick grinned as he twirled his axe in one hand before launching himself at Robert.  The noble girls began cheering again, but it lasted a few minutes before Patrick knocked Robert’s sword out of his hand and left a scratch that drew a small drop of blood.
“That was very brief,” Queen Usio commented dryly, “You are defeated Robert.  Next challenger, and do please make it longer than the last.”
“I shall try Your Majesty,” Rowen said as he took stance, sword and shield ready.
“Rowen,” Rose muttered in fear and worry, the noble girls snickering and laughing at the head butler.
“He will not last even a second,” Catherine declared.
“Can he even see with that hideous face of his,” Raven asked.
“At least he will quicken this challenge along,” Emma stated, “I can’t wait to see Geoffrey defeat the rest and we are declared the winners.”
“What makes you think you will be the winner,” Octavia declared, “Your man hasn’t even fought yet.”
“And he has our real men to defeat first,” Pearl snickered, “Poor deluded fool.”
“S-silence,” Emma nearly shouted angrily, “None of your men would be able to-“
CLANG!
Everyone became silent as they turned back to the two combatants in the circle of hay, unable to comprehend what they were seeing.  Patrick was kneeling on the ground while holding his hand and gritting his teeth in pain, a small cut on his thumb.  Before him, Rowen stood tall in triumph, breathing slightly hard.  Everyone was in shock to the point the only sounds one could hear was Rowen’s breathing and the chirping of birds nearby.
“You have been defeated Patrick,”  Queen Usio declared calmly, as if she wasn’t surprised in the least, “Please take your leave and see the healer for your… injury.  Next combatant, please.”
“What happened Patrick,” Claire exclaimed as she rushed to her chosen’s side and helped him to his feet to leave.
“Fast,” Patrick gritted between his teeth, “Too fast… Didn’t see him move…”
“That was amazing Rowen,” Rose complimented in awe in awe, “Were all soldiers as fast as you?”
“Not all,” the head butler smiled at her, looking at his weapons, “The weapons you picked for me are light.  I used to wield heavier weapons years ago.  Perhaps I went a bit overboard, although I was certain that my strength left me long after retiring from the military.”
“You just got lucky,” Pearl stated with her nose in the air, “You will be no match for my Wolf King.”
“I am looking forward to this,” Amelia snickered, “I just might take Rowen as a new test subject if he proves himself worthy enough.”
“I’m afraid I must declined,” Rowen replied gently before turning back to see Henry entering the circle of hay.
“I normally don’t attack those that have been handicapped,” Henry said as he rested his axe on his shoulder, “but it seems that you have adapted quite well into a fine warrior despite it.”
“I… guess I can take that as a compliment,” Rowen replied hesitantly, both taking stance.
Everyone watched with a careful eye as the two circled each other, weapons at the ready.  Rowen and Henry sized each other up, sharp eyes looking for an opening in the other’s stance.  Everything was tensed for a few moments, neither knowing when or who was going to strike first.
After what seemed like an eternity, Rowen and Henry moved rapidly towards one another.  Henry aimed for Rowen’s side where one of his eyes was nearly covered in swollen and scarred flesh.  Rowen spun on his heel and blocked the axe with his shield, sword aiming for his vulnerable arm.  Seeing this, Henry moved away from the sword swing, pushing his axe on Rowen’s shield hard enough to off-balance him.  The head butler stumbled back and the noble aimed once again at him.  Twirling his sword and changing his grip, Rowen brought it upwards and the tip cut into Henry’s axe arm, making him drop his weapon in surprise.
“Henry,” Pearl cried out in shock.
“Just a scratch,” Henry replied quickly with a smile to calm her down, a drop of blood seeping from his clenched fingers.
“You have been defeated Henry,” Queen Usio declared, “Head to the healer so the next combatant can come forward.  This is starting to get interesting.”
“There is no need for the healer Your Majesty,” Henry bowed as he left the circle of hay, “It’s just a mere scratch.  I’ve had worse.”
“But you are not in the forest to use its magic to heal you,” Pearl scolded as she grabbed his uninjured arm and led him to the healer.
“Who taught you how to fight like that,” Octavia asked as she walked up to Rowen and Rose.
“I was a soldier in Her Majesty’s army,” Rowen answered, “I learned the basic of sword fighting from the instructors.  The rest, I had to learn on the battlefield.”
“I find that hard to believe,” Octavia state with a suspicious look in her eyes.
“One has to learn fast to adapt to the battlefield in order to not lose one’s own head.  Many soldiers have their own different styles of fighting that has never let them down.  This is my own.”
“We’ll see,” the noble girl turned and went back to her original spot, making Rose worry about her words.
“Prepare to lose you ugly beast,” Golde called out to Rowen as Alfred entered the circle of hay, “ Alfred is going to win!”
“You have skill against short range weapons,” Alfred said, twirling his lane into a stance, “but can you  handle long range?”
“I’ve dealt with all variations,” the head butler answered with a smirk.
Thy didn’t wait long before they began fighting, each parrying and blocking with precise ease.  The smirks never left their faces, as if they were having fun.  The noble girls were cheering Alfred on while Rose watched with worry.
“Why so worried,” Mary asked as she walked over to the poor girl, “Have you no confidence in your chosen?”
“Perhaps she knows as well as we that he only defeated two men of higher class so far was due to only luck,” Catherine commented, “Perhaps she knows that his luck will end with this fight.”
“No need to be harsh,” Amelia stated nicely, “You all should be worried about your chosen.  After all, even the smallest of scratches could lead to the most fatal of infections.”
“And you’re not worried about your own?”
“David is in the best hands if he were to ever fall ill:  me.”
“Look out,” Rose suddenly shouted, catching everyone’s attention.
Alfred made a thrust with his lance, Rowen avoiding the sharp bladed tip.  The noble man smirked as his lance landed between the head butler’s spread legs and he tripped Rowen with a quick swing, forcing him to fall on his back.  At the last minute, however, Rowen swiped with his sword and cut at Alfred’s uncovered calf, making him yelp in surprised at the red mark left behind that began to bleed.
“You are defeated Alfred,” Queen Usio stated as said noble hopped around for a bit, “At least you made this round last longer than the others, so be proud.  Next combatant, please.”
“Are you okay Rowen,” Rose asked as she noticed the head butler having difficulties standing up.
“I was just taken off guard,” Rowen replied with a pained smile, “but I am okay.  No need to-“
“Don’t say that,” the poor girl nearly shouted, “I can clearly see you are not okay.  You can’t hide it from me.”
“Regardless, I have to keep going.  To not give my all to my opponent is to insult them and my soldier’s spirit.”
“Fine words,” they turn to see James entering the circle of hay, “I would expect no less from a former soldier of Her Majesty’s army.  It does not mean I will go easy on you though.”
“I would be insulted of you did,” Rowen replied with a smirk.
“Rowen-“
“Take heed milady,” the head butler turned to Rose, “I will be careful. Do please worry no longer.”
Rose said no more, despite the words forming in her throat, as her chosen stepped forward and took stance along with James.  A minute later, they charged at each other.
Everyone watched with baited breath as the two men fought against each other, swords swinging and blocking with such speed that only the most seasonal of soldiers and warriors could keep up.  Rose could feel her eyes hurting from how fast she was moving them, trying to watch their movements and cried out when Rowen was unable to keep up and the tip of James’ sword cut into his cheek. 
“You re defeated Rowen,” Queen Usio declared, “I am glad to see that being a butler had not dulled your fighting skills.  However, I guess your triumphant return as one of the best soldiers my kingdom has to offer is over.  Go see to the healer so the next combatant may take his turn.”
“Very well Your Majesty,” Rowen bowed before leaving the circle of hay, Rose quickly to his side.
“Just a scratch,” he assured her, “Another scar to add to the collection.”
“Not that it will make you any less ugly anyway,” Dorothy commented snidely, making the other noble girls laugh.
“Well done,” Helen complimented her chosen,  “I expected no less of you, my darling.”
“Your words bring me much joy and honor,” James smiled at her before turning to see Alexander stepping in, “Pardon me.”
“I shall be waiting.”
Rose did not watch the next several matches, watching the healer dabbed at Rowen’s face with a cloth soaked in a strange-smelling liquid that made the head butler wince in pain, then clean away a trickle of blood with a wet cloth.  Her mind was able to vaguely bring up a few names for the liquid, but she couldn’t put her finger on which one it was. 
“The wound is shallow and does not need stitches,” the healer reported, “It will heal nicely, given you don’t roll in the mud or get your face dirty.  Let me know if it gets infected.  I will have the herbs ready.”
“Thank you,” Rowen replied and took Rose’s hand in his, feeling her shaking a bit, “I am alright, so you do no need to be so frightened.”
“It is not fear that makes my hand shake,” Rose corrected, “but my nerves.  Will Her Majesty force everyone to fight again for this game?  How much more must you endure for such entertainment?”
“Our lives belong to Her Majesty and she shall see fit to do a she pleases.  We are but small pawns to her and cannot fight against it.  Please… do not let Her Majesty hear you say such things.  You may not see the end of this game if she does to answer your questions.”
“Rowen…”
“WE HAVE A WINNER!”
They turn to see Catherine embracing Richard, who was standing over Charles as he was holding his arm in pain.  Queen Usio was clapping happily, making the others clap in fear of earning her ire.  How long had they been standing there with the healer before they had noticed the challenge was over?
“Well done Richard,” the queen complimented, “As promised, both you and Catherine will be dining at my table tonight.  Do bring your appetites, for we shall have a feast ready.  
“Return all of your weapons and armor to the wagons,” she turned to everyone, “You may return to the castle to relax for the rest of the day.  There will be no midday meal today in preparation of the feast, so do no expect the cooks to give you anything until then.  I will see you all at dinner.”
With that, she leaves with her servants as the noble men and Rowen gave their weapons and armor to the people by the wagons.  Once all of the armor and weapons were collected, they and the noble girls and Rose headed back inside the castle.
“I hope this will be a wonderful feast,” Golde sighed with stars in her eyes, “I can’t wait to see what delights they will be serving us!”
“And we are back again with the food,” Joan groaned in annoyance, “I’m surprised you are not complaining about not having the midday meal today.”
“If Her Majesty says there will be a feast,” Golde raised her nose at Joan, “Then it would be rude to eat early and not be hungry enough to sample everything that will be offered.”
“At least no one got hurt horribly,” Dorothy stated before bringing her hand to her mouth, “Oh, do pardon me, my poor flower.  I spoke too soon and forgot about the new scar your future husband must bear now.”
“Not that one will notice,” Bridget giggled, “With so many horrific scars already, one more wouldn’t make him less ugly.  I am so fortunate my dear Charles didn’t get cut in the face.”
“Bu he did get a nasty wound on his arm,” Amelia pointed out, “If you wish, I have a salve that can make the scarring disappear almost instantly if you-“
“I have the best doctors that will take care of such a minor imperfection than you,” Bridget waved her off, “I have no desire for experimental products.”
“If you say so,” Amelia pouted, “I tested it many times and it works.”
“So you say.”
Once they were back at the castle, everyone dispersed to go about their own business.   Rowen was escorting Rose to her room when they were blocked by an angry Marin, Rose stepping back in fright.
“You child,” she nearly yelled, hand raised to slap Rowen, “How could you let yourself get hurt?!  You are not young anymore  and know better than to be reckless!”
“James was just better,” Rowen raised his hands in defense, “That is all.”
“That is not what I meant and you know it,” the head maid snapped, “You shouldn’t have taken on so many on like that.  You should’ve let Patrick win and be done with it!”
“It would’ve been insulting to him and Her Majesty if I had done that,” the head butler stated seriously, “Besides, fighting is in my blood.  A call to battle is like a siren’s call to me-OW!”
The noble girls nearby giggled and laughed as Rowen was smacked by Marin, who avoided his injured cheek.  Rose kept her distance and said nothing, wisely aware of the repercussions if she did.  With good fortune, Marin stalked off in a huff and they were on their way.
“How motherly of the old maid,” Elanor commented snidely, “She’s more worried about your chosen than you were.”
“Would you have stood in defense of George if he had incurred her wrath,” Rose shot back, to which the noble girl said nothing, “I didn’t think so.”
“Now ladies,” Rowen spoke gently, “No fighting.  We do no want to anger Marin any further.  After all, I don’t think you want her to report to Her Majesty, do you?”
Both young women didn’t answer the question, since everyone knows the answer.


© 2018 Omegax45


Author's Note

Omegax45
I am back. I just finished the story and in the process of uploading the final chapters. I hope you enjoy.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

43 Views
Added on December 31, 2018
Last Updated on December 31, 2018
Tags: mystery, fantasy, romance, pacts, society


Author

Omegax45
Omegax45

CT



About
I have published my second book in the series after three years: Hell's Detective: Lust. It is available now on Amazon Kindle and soon to be available as a paperback. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Omegax45


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Omegax45


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Omegax45