Don't Look For Santa

Don't Look For Santa

A Story by Omegax45
"

Parents tell their kids not to look for Santa on Christmas Eve. Little Jimmy is going to find out why.

"

Don’t Look For Santa

By Omegax45

 

 

 

 It was Christmas Eve, the neighborhood being covered in white by the soft snowfall outside.  Parties were underway at many houses while young children were getting ready to go to sleep, awaiting the magical morning when they find their Christmas presents under the tree left behind by the jolly old man that checks his list twice- Santa Clause.  He only comes once a year, and all of the children of the neighborhood, and even around the world, could not wait for his arrival this year as they have the previous years he had come to visit them. 

 At one house sitting at a corner of a street, one child was all set for bed as his parents were setting up a plate of cookies and a glass of milk for Ol’ Saint Nick.  His name was Jim or Jimmy as he was nicknamed.  He is an elementary school student with bright red hair and freckles covering his upper cheeks.  His parents knew he had been good this year, with high grades and praises from his teachers.  Jimmy had also performed every task his parents had asked of him and did his chores and homework before dinner each day.  Needless to say, his parents were very proud of him.  They were certain that Santa Clause will reward him for his good behavior.

 “Now Jim,” his father walked up to his son and knelt before him, “As you know, Santa will only be able to stay for a short period of time to give you your presents and eat some cookies before leaving.  He has many kids to give presents to, so you must not come downstairs and see him.  Okay?”

 “Okay Dad,” Jimmy replied with a bright smile.  No child would want to hamper Santa Clause’s busy schedule, not if they want every child in the world out to get them.  That was something Jimmy knew he should avoid.

 “That’s my son,” his father smiled proudly and stood, “Now, off to bed with you.  Santa will be here any minute and your mother and I must make sure everything’s ready.”

 “Okay,” Jimmy gave his father a hug before walking over to his mother and giving her a kiss on the cheek, “Good night Mom.  Good night Dad.”

 “Good night Jimmy,” his mother said with a soft smile.

Little did his parents know, Jimmy had made a bet with his friends at school earlier that week.  Each of them had to stay awake on Christmas Eve and simply get a picture of Santa Clause in their houses delivering toys, thus proving his existence.  The winner would get all of the candy they would get from their stockings.  Jimmy knew this would mean being bad, but the idea of having lots of candy until Easter comes was too appealing to resist.  One picture, then it was back to bed and presents in the morning.

Santa would never know and none would be the wiser.

* * * *

 Later that night, Jimmy awoke to the sound of his radio going off, although the sound was softer than normal since he had lowered the volume so only he would hear it.  He quickly turned it off and bent over the side of his bed, lifting a toy miner’s hat with working flashlight and a small camera.  Placing the hat on, he turns on the light and gets ready to leave.

He waited by his door for a few moments before he heard the familiar jingling of bells.  Sleigh bells.  There were several thumps upon the roof before he heard footsteps, then the sound of something whooshing downstairs.  Realizing what, or rather who, it could be, Jimmy opened his door carefully and tip-toed down the hall before he, turned off his toy miner’s hat light and stood by the stairway steps, his wide eyes glazed with shock.

 Dusting soot off his outfit really well without leaving a smudge on his white gloves was a man with a long white curly beard, wearing the familiar red suit and dark brown boots.  He knew that person from anywhere:  Santa Clause!  The jolly old man didn’t even looked wind from his slide down the chimney, simply fixing his round glasses and opening his red sack.  Slipping a hand inside, he takes out a piece of paper with familiar writing.  Jimmy would recognize that paper anywhere.  It was his letter! So the post office did deliver it after all!  Don’t deliver to the North Pole, his foot.  He was going to have a talk with the mail man the next time he sees him.

 Remembering what he was here for, Jimmy slowly walked down the steps until he was in a good position to take a picture.  Just one was all he needed.  He couldn’t use the flash, for that would give him away.  The lighting in the room from the Christmas Tree would have to do.

 However, before he could press the button to take the picture, his foot landed on a creaky board that sounded very loud in the quiet house.  Santa Clause pulled his hand right out of the sack and turnd to see Jimmy on the steps, the child’s eyes in shock at being caught.  Before he could utter an apology or explain why he was out of bed, Santa Clause gave a jolly smile and lifted a finger to his nearly-covered lips.  In a near-instant, Santa Clause and the sack disappears in a cloud of white.

 Jimmy couldn’t figure out what happened.  There were no presents under the tree, and the sound of sleigh bells had suddenly stopped.  His first thought was that he missed his chance at getting a picture.  His second was that his parents were going to be mad if he doesn’t return to his room quickly.  Hoping that Santa Clause would return with his presents (he had to deliver his parents’ presents after all), he returns to his room and goes to sleep.

* * * *

 The next morning, Jimmy woke to the bright sun shining in his room.  He leaves his bed and looks outside to see that the town was covered in glistening white, like a sea of diamonds or shimmering white icing like on gingerbread houses.  His mind suddenly reminded him what day it was.  It was Christmas!  Time to open presents!

 He runs downstairs to see his parents in the living room, his father starting a fire and his mother separating the small amount of presents from the tree.  Wait, small?  Shouldn’t the amount be bigger?

 “Morning Mom and Dad,” Jimmy smiled as he came down the stairs, “Merry Christmas.”

 “Merry Christmas Jim,” his father said and turned, an envelope in hand, “Now son, remember what I told you last night?”

 “Yes Dad,” Jimmy replied, confused and worried that his parents found out, “No seeing Santa while he’s at work.”

 “Well then,” his father handed him the letter, “I think this is for you.”

He hands his son the envelope, which had a picture of Santa’s sleigh on it, but no name.  Curious, Jimmy opened the envelope and found a card inside, a picture of Santa with a finger to his lips...the same way Jimmy saw him when he was caught.  He opened the card to read the small message inside:

 

           Sorry Little Jimmy, but to spy on Santa Clause means no presents this year.  Next year, listen to your parents.

                             Rupert

                      High Elf of the North Pole

 

 “Too bad Jimmy,” his mother said as she saw the card, “You should’ve listened to your father when he said not to come down to see Santa.”

 “I know Mom,” Jimmy replied, a smile on his face, “And I’m sorry, Dad, but this is still good.  I have proof that he exists.”

 “What are you talking about Jim,” his father asked, but his son was too excited to say.

* * * *

 Little Jimmy did get a few presents, but from his parents and friends.  He showed the card at school, but no one believed him and no one won the bet or the candy that was promised.  However, his best friend Michael told him after school that he believed him, for he too was caught and got no presents and received a scolding from his parents.

 So remember to all that read this.  If you try to look for Santa Clause and he catches you, you will have to wait until next year from your presents.

THE END

 

 

© 2012 Omegax45


Author's Note

Omegax45
This is my first time writing a children's tale. I thought that this year, we needed a new Chirstmas story, so here you go. Enjoy!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

That was a cute little story~ I enjoyed reading it to see what would happen next! Very nicely written and a great idea!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Very cute, original short story. This really would be great for little kids to read around the holiday season. I agree with the reviewer who pointed out about watching your past/present tense when it comes to verbs. I also agree with using the tab key for every new paragraph (although, I think a whole line of space is a bit much). Anyways, I personally really enjoy seasonal stories, especially when they come as a set with the other 3 seasons. Perhaps you'll consider spring/summer/fall related stories as well?

Posted 13 Years Ago


Hahaha, that was actually really neat. I don't like that the paragraphs are all smashed together, though, so I recommend going back and putting a line of empty space between each one at least, or tabbing them in (five spaces before the first word will do the trick just as well). Other than that, my main irritatation was the tense change. You started out in past tense as if the story had already happened, and then you changed to present tense halfway through the story as if it was happening as the story went. It makes it feel sloppily written, though I know it wasn't. Go back and change those things, and I think it will be absolutely magnificent. And thanks for making this an overall enjoyable story!!!!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


This was not what I expected. It was very cute! You did an excelent job writing a children's tale and I look forward to reading more from you.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

416 Views
4 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 17, 2010
Last Updated on December 26, 2012
Tags: Christmas, Children's, Holidays, Comedy
Previous Versions

Author

Omegax45
Omegax45

CT



About
I have published my second book in the series after three years: Hell's Detective: Lust. It is available now on Amazon Kindle and soon to be available as a paperback. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Omegax45


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Omegax45


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Omegax45