Take the Chance

Take the Chance

A Story by Omegax45
"

He loved her from afar, but she was in an abusive relationship. Can he find the chance to save her?

"

Take The Chance

By Omegax45                         

 

 

 He loved her.  He adored her.

Hair that shimmered like it was covered in glitter, eyes that are full of dreams, and a laugh that was like a song from a siren.  She was a star that should shine in the night sky, a bird flying in the air.  He desired to place her on a podium and worship her forever, build temples in her name.

He wanted to do so much with her, to be a part of her dreams and make them come true.

But…she wasn’t his to hold, to claim as his own.

No, the angel was owned by him.

He acted like her owner, like one does with an object.  He ignored her until he needed her, then he abused her with poisonous words and painful assaults.  She tries to hide it with a cheerful smile and so much make up, but he knew that she was miserable.  And it was all thanks to him.

The creature.  The Devil.

Age didn’t matter to the Devil;  he was over twenty-one while she was sixteen.  Both he and she were still going to high school, the very same school.  They were childhood friends, going back to when they were six and they met accidentally at a playground.  He had never met someone so full of light and love.  However, he was just a friend to her.  Her true love was with some older man.

He wanted to do something, call the police for assault on a minor.  However, he had no proof and he could not get her to testify.  She loved him too much, so much so that she had ignored him since they began dating.  She would barely glance at him.

He hated the Devil so much.  Yet, he could do nothing without first making her see how bad he was to her.  He could do nothing unless it was illegal.  All he can do was watch from afar and wait for his chance.

It happened one night.  He had turned seventeen a week ago and was coming home from his part-time job.  It was a Friday night, so his boss allowed him to work late.  He was heading home when he saw a playground.  It wasn’t any ordinary playground.  It was where he played as a child.  It was where he met her.

He slipped under the construction tape that wound from one entranceway to the next.  The city was tearing the playground down in order to put in new equipment.  They were replacing the old and rusting metal with plastic.  The parents felt that it would be safer for their children, since plastic does not need much maintenance and will last much longer.  He preferred the old playground.

His fingers traced the cool metal of the rolling slide, moving down to the monkey bars and the infamous zip-line.  He smiled softly at how many times he flew downward upon it, how thrilling it was.  He was much too large now to try it.  It might break.

He was about to leave when he saw the metal horses on springs, their smiles still bright despite the fading of their paint.  This was where he met her.  They were going after the same horse.  Their hands touched at the same time.  He had remembered tiny sparks coming from that hand.  At the time, however, he had thought it was because of something bad, like cooties or something, but he had felt happy when his eyes locked with hers.  He let her go on first, watching her face lit up like there was a Christmas tree full of presents with her name on it.  He felt happy that she was happy.

Why did it have to change?

He was startled out of his memories when he heard soft sounds.  He turned and walked until he saw the familiar swing set.  It was made of chains and rubber seats set in a metal frame.  Countless children had swung high and jumped off, just to see who can jump the farthest.  He was no exception.

 He saw her there, the girl of his dreams.  She had darkness around open of her eyes and the skin was starting to swell. Her bare arms had hand-shaped bruises upon them and her clothing was torn.  Tears continue to fall from her broken eyes, even when she realized that he was there…and who he was.

All he saw was that vile Devil doing this to his beautiful angel, ripping her fragile wings from her backside.  Anger filled him, making him vengeful.

He will attack the Devil.

He will kill the Devil.

A soft hand touched his fist, the nails within drawing blood and cutting through his rage like a burning sword.  He saw it n her eyes.  A very clear message.

 Don’t.  Stay with me.  Please.

And like so many years ago, he cannot say no to her.  He stays.

 He found his chance.

 

* * * *

 

It was only inevitable that he would be caught.  His brother was so impulsive.

He had received a call from a couple concerned about their daughter, who mentioned his brother’s name after finding her with a dear childhood friend and looking like several people attacked her and tried to rape her.  They had taken her to the hospital, where she said the name while under pain medication.  He said he would look into it and get back with them later.

Since he had taken over the company, his brother had lost his way.  Once a good kid, he was now into drugs and dating underage girls with promises of a good life if they just do whatever he said.  He had found out that the one girl wasn’t the only one.  He was dating, and abusing, four other girls from different high schools, one from middle school.  This was not the first time he had to bail his idiot of a sibling out of trouble.  However, this was the last.  He was against rape.  Hell, he had a friend whose wife was raped by a drug addict trying to steal her purse.  He knew just how damaging rape was to a woman.

He wasn’t at all surprised to find him in jail.  Apparently, the manager of the hotel he was at the other night called the police when he attacked several customers in a drunken rage.  His little brother looked so happy to see him, like he used to when he was young.  He wouldn’t fall for his lies anymore.  The company image had suffered because of his atrocious behavior and the rumors caused by said actions.  He had enough.

After paying bail, he hands his brother an envelope.  Earlier, he had visited his parents and told them what was happening while they were on their vacation around the world.  They had just come back last night.  They were disgusted and outraged.  Although it hurt them to do so, they had to do what they must, as did he.  They had went to their attorneys to finalized the paperwork before he went to see his little brother.  No, his former little brother.

He kept his face neutral as he watched his former sibling read the paperwork, eyes dulled from drug use widening in shock.  He had been disowned, removed from the company’s account and no longer had access to anything that belonged to his family.  Former family.  There was also a ticket to another country.  They had set up a house and account there for him to start anew.  It was their last gift to him.  He would have to get a job on his own, buy his own things, and stay out of trouble.  They refused to help him anymore.

The younger man reacted the way he knew he would.  He was outraged, refused to accept it.  He threatened to get a lawyer and get this reversed, but his former older sibling was not fazed.  After all, he had the one thing his former relative did not, an ace that will ensure that no one would believe him.  The girl in the hospital, and all the other girls he had abused.  If an anonymous person were to give their a name and verify  what he had done, as well as give the court doctoral reports of the abuse, the younger man was finished.

He did not want to do this, but he had a company to run.  He had the responsibility to keep the public safe from such actions from his family.  He had to protect the family name, as well as the reputation of his parents, wife, and children.

After a few words, he turned and left.  He would have no more of the man that was once his caring brother.  All that was left was a man drunk on power. And now, that power had been cut from him.

 

* * * *

 

Her parents had one more phone call and no more from the family of the Devil.  Apparently, the Devil was out of the country and would not be heard from for a long while.  He apologized for being unable to help them with the case and offered to pay for her medical expenses.  He was outraged that the Devil will get away with it, but held his tongue.  He did not want to upset her anymore.

It would take time for her to heal, now that her heart was broken further with that monster’s indifference, but he will stay with her.  He will love her, like she should be loved.  He would pick up the pieces and mend them together, one-by-one.  He will ignore the cuts from the sharp edges of each piece and continue until her heart has become one again.  Maybe, when all is said and done, she can smile again.  Her eyes would fill with dreams again.

And maybe, just maybe, she can give him that tender heart. 

 

* * * *

 

The younger man left the country, but was unable to stay out of trouble.  He could not let go of his former life.  He tried to reverse the disownership, but his parents had signed the paperwork and refused to budge.  They had changed the passwords to the accounts, so he could not access their money or records.  The former member of the family only backed away when they showed how much evidence they had against him, which was enough to send him to prison for more than half of his life.  However, he was caught while trying to court a young woman who happened to be working for the police.  A search on his person found illegal drugs and a concealed dagger.  He was set for trial within a week.

He could not look into it any further.  How is it that power did nothing to him, but changed his former brother so much?  He wished he had the answer, but at the same time wished he didn’t.  He may not even stomach it.

He smiled softly as he took in the latest high school newsletter his daughter brought home.  The young girl and her childhood friend had become a couple and the article was covering the girl’s traumatic experience in an abusive relationship and how her boyfriend came to her rescue, her true prince.  He was sad that it happened to such a nice girl, and by his former sibling no less, but he was glad that she was happy now.  It also appeared that the young man was happy as well, as if a weight was lifted from his shoulders. 

A happy ending for them after all they went through.

 

 

THE END

© 2011 Omegax45


Author's Note

Omegax45
If you know anyone that is in an abusive relationship, do not wait. Help them however you can before it is too late.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

so sad...

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

250 Views
1 Review
Added on January 27, 2011
Last Updated on February 26, 2011
Tags: romance, short story, drama, abuse, childhood love

Author

Omegax45
Omegax45

CT



About
I have published my second book in the series after three years: Hell's Detective: Lust. It is available now on Amazon Kindle and soon to be available as a paperback. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Omegax45


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Omegax45


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Omegax45