Despair

Despair

A Story by Omegax45
"

Where was she? What time was it? What day, for that matter?

"

Despair

by Omegax45

 

 

                        When Michaela awoke from what she felt like a long slumber, her mind was in a haze.  Where was she?  What time was it?  What day, for that matter?

                        She remembered her name.  She remembered her parents, her friends, her neighbors.  She even remembered her cat Sunny.  She lived in the suburbs and was in her second year of college.  She lived in an apartment behind her parents’ house and had planned on moving into a dorm next semester.  So why…

                        She stared at the sky above her.  The sun was shining, but thick clouds tried to obscure it.  There was a strange order in the air, something that she could not identify.  All she knew was that it made her nauseous.  Her body ached and she felt like she was lying on hay.  Confused by her loss of some memories she slowly sat  up to see why.

                        Michaela wished she hadn’t.

                        She was outside.  She was not in her bedroom.  In fact, there were no buildings nearby or as far as the eye can see.  She was lying on dry grass.  Her clothing felt like there were holes in it and she felt cold.  She went to stand and her hand brushed against something.  She looked down.

                        Corpses.  She was surrounded by corpses.  Corpses of men.  Corpses of women and children.  Corpses of the young and the old.  Corpses of pets of all types.  Their bodies covered in blood and dirt, clothing torn and burned.  Their eyes stared at nothing, appearing to have a film of gloss over them.  Their chests did not move, no breath entered or escaped their slightly opened lips.  Their blood had long stopped flowing, meaning they had died hours ago.

                        Oh.  Oh God.  Oh God, how did this happened?!  How?!  When?!  Why?!  How did she missed this?!!

                        Michaela rolled over quickly to the spot where she once laid in and vomited.  She couldn’t stop herself as she emptied the contents of her stomach upon the grass, the vile liquid splashing upon her and the corpses surrounding her.  She kept vomiting until there was nothing left to vomit, and she dry heaved for a few moments more afterward.  She held her acing stomach as she stood slowly on shaky legs as she looked for anyone that was still alive.  Tears streamed down her eyes as the faces of strangers became familiar to her.  Her neighbor Sabrina, Jones, Matt, Cleo, and Brad.  The mailman Edward.  Her friends Cindy, Mark, Lucy, Susan, Diana, and Kim.  Each familiar face sent stabs of fear and loss into her heart.  When she thought she could not take anymore, she found her parents.  They were holding one another and appear to be asleep.  Michaela fell to her knees and cried.  There’s no one left.  They’re gone.  They’re all gone.

                        Time is lost to her as she mourned.  She cried until her eyes burned and no more tears came.  Slowly, she stood and began to wander, careful not to step on the corpses as she went.  Her destination was unknown, but by the time her knees gave out, she was before a house that had one side destroyed.  Lowering her gaze, Michaela saw a large knife lying upon some splintered wood and broken glass.  She slowly reached for it, her fingers encircling the wooden handle.  She raised the knife eyeing its sharp edge before she raised her other arm and bared her wrist.

                        ‘It’s cowardly,’ she thought, not wanting to die, ‘but...I don’t want to be alone.’

                        Michaela lowered the knife to her wrist, ready to apply pressure.  She suddenly screamed as someone grabbed the knife and threw it from her hand.  She looked up to see the horrified eyes of a person.  At first she did not recognized the person before her, but after a moment her memory finally gave her a name.  David.  Her boyfriend.

                        With a cry of joy, Michaela embraced David.  The two young adults held one another tightly, tears of happiness falling down their cheeks.  The reason as to why and how their world came to be escaped their minds for the moment.  All that mattered right now… was each other. 

                        They would get through this.  They will find the answers and a way to survive… together.

 

 

The End

 

 

© 2012 Omegax45


Author's Note

Omegax45
I feel that this story would raise alot of questions. I also feel that I should end it this way.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

it's mysterious how everyone died and only she and he boyfriend had stayed alive. perhaps they were the ones who are dead, and are ghosts. perhaps she is having a really bad nightmare, and her boyfriend woke her up from it. maybe the girl was hallucinating the whole thing while she was on the ward. there are so many possibilities. the details are excellent, and does leave you with questions.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

220 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 14, 2011
Last Updated on March 12, 2012
Tags: death, despair, attempt suicide, love, loss, drama, angst

Author

Omegax45
Omegax45

CT



About
I have published my second book in the series after three years: Hell's Detective: Lust. It is available now on Amazon Kindle and soon to be available as a paperback. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Omegax45


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Omegax45


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Omegax45