Starry Night

Starry Night

A Story by Omegax45
"

The winter night is cold and blinding, but one need to not look so far as to find the stars.

"

Starry Night

by Omegax45

 

 

                        It is a stormy winter’s night.  Dark purple clouds block out the moon and stars from shining upon the large town that relies on electricity to see into the darkness and the large white flakes that continue to fall from the sky.  Sometimes, a gust of wind will bring the fallen snowflakes back up into the air just to make them fall again in some other area.  Cars are driving carefully down the streets that are full of snow once again after being plowed by the town’s plow trucks only moments ago, the drivers anxious to be home and out of the cold at least for the night.  Unless their bosses decree it, the people will still have to go to work tomorrow.

                        In a brightly-lit home with several Christmas decorations outside upon the lawn, a young woman watches the snow from her perch by the window.  She is sitting on a pillow over the large radiator that is as old as her house, but can manage her weight as it heats the pillow to keep her rear and crossed legs nice and warm without burning her too badly.  She tries not to breathe onto the glass and obscure her view of the wintery world just outside her home.  Her eyes scan the streets and houses nearby, trying to see further pass the darkness further on and the snowflakes that keep trying to bury her town in whiteness.  She is in search of something…of someone, rather.

                        She had received a phone call earlier from that certain someone earlier.  They were supposed to have met during the afternoon and have fun in the store district.  However, the winter storm came and they were forced to remain indoors.  Said someone called back and told her that he will find a way to her.  It is past dinnertime, and he still has not come.  It is making her quite irritated from all the waiting she is doing when she could be doing other things right now.

                        The young woman is about to call it quits for the night and head to her room when she spots a dark figure in the distance.  The sidewalks were completely buried, so the figure is walking in the streets.  The snow makes it difficult for her eyes to figure out who or what it is that is walking towards her house, but the closer the figure comes, the wider her smile becomes.

                       “I’m going out Mom,” the young woman calls and she runs to the outer hallway to fetch her jacket and boots.

                        “Are you crazy,” her mother calls back, “We are in the middle of a winter storm that is border lining on a blizzard!”

                        “I’ll be fine,” her daughter secures her hat upon her head, “Mario’s outside, waiting for me.”

                        “Wait,” her mother calls out, but the young woman is already outside the door and had closed it behind her.

 

* * * *

 

                        “Are you crazy,” the young woman laughs as she reaches Mario, who has snow crusting upon him, “You’re gonna end up a snowman!”

                        “The weather’s suppose to clear any minute now,” Mario replies, taking her hand, “Come on Lucy, I got something to show you!”

                        Laughing with glee and a rush of adrenaline of their actions, the couple runs through the snow and the strong wind, reaching a black and yellow snowmobile parked nearby.  Mario cleans off the seat and sits down, patting the area behind him.  Lucy quickly takes a seat, securing her arms around her boyfriend’s waist as he starts up the engine.  She lets out a yell of laughter as the snowmobile charges through the streets, Mario avoiding cars that are buried and the snow plows that clean the streets for a moment before they are buried once again. 

                        They drive pass the town’s limits, heading for the nearby forests and climb upward.  Lucy becomes concerned as they begin to climb up a hill, but a squeeze of her hand from Mario eases her fears.  They reach the top and stop at a cliff edge that is also a parking lot for those that have camping trips in the forest during the summer.  It is also known as Make-Out Point, which is empty at the moment.

                        “Why are we here Mario,” Lucy asks as he turns off the engine and gets off the snowmobile.

                        “You’ll see,” Mario replies, offering his hand to her.

                        Lucy takes it and they walk near the wooden fence that surrounds the edge of the cliff, looking at the town below them.  Despite the blinding snow that makes the world below almost a purplish color, they could see the tiny golden lights of the homes and businesses of their hometown, sometimes the moving lights of cars and snow plows as they travel by.  Lucy watches the town below them with awe and forgets about the biting cold surrounding her.  She becomes so engrossed into watching that she does not notice the wind dying down or the snowfall beginning to fade away.  Her eyes widen as she does notice that the snow is thinning out and the town is becoming clearer and clearer, becoming a shining pool of golden stars.  Surrounding her feet and the cliff edge, the snow glistens brightly like tiny diamonds in a sea of white. 

                        “Look above you,” Mario tells her.

                        Lucy does as told, and her eyes widen as she smiles brightly.  The clouds had passed over them and the stars are shining bright, a full moon giving them a serene light that is not harsh like artificial light, but is bright enough to cut through the darkness of the night sky.  She could make out the constellations in the sky, the town’s light not bright enough to blind out the faintest of stars.  She laughs as she twirls and connects the stars in her mind, feeling like a little child again.  She turns to thank Mario for the wonderful gift, when she stops in shock.

                        Mario is on one knee in the snow, holding a red velvet box in his outstretch hands.  Lucy places her hands over her open mouth and watches Mario open the red velvet box to reveal a round one-carat diamond on a white gold band.

                        “I had a speech ready,” he said, patting his pockets with his free hand, “I-oh crap.  I forgot it.  Damnit, and it was going so perfect-“

                        “I don’t need it,” Lucy interrupts him, kneeling before him, “My answer is yes.  Of course, I will marry you.  How can I not, when you go out of your way and do all this for me?”

                        “Well,” Mario smiles sheepishly, taking off Lucy’s glove, “Nature gave me a helping hand, so I can’t take all the credit.”

                        He places the ring on his fiancée’s finger, then takes her into his arms as he twirls, the newly engaged couple laughing happily.  Now, all they have to only break the news to their parents…

                        Nah, that could wait.  They have all night, after all.

The End

 

© 2012 Omegax45


Author's Note

Omegax45
After so long, I give you something short and sweet. I hope you enjoy.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

such a beautiful story, the only thing that really bugged me about it was how you kept saying "young adults". At first I was thinking that you would say it once, but you put it in again, and in a story as short as this, I feel that you would really only have to say it once. I think that when you write a story if age is important say it once and then let the actions of the other words continue to subtley remind the reader of the age bracket. I think if there were more characters then you could say "young adults" and "children" now and again to diferentiate between two or three groups but in one such as this where it is not like that except one mention of a mother, the imagination of the reader is best left to finding the hints. That is my opinion. Other then that I just noticed a couple spots where it looks like your train of thought moved so fast it made your fingers miss a couple of "is"s and "but"s but other then that well done.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

288 Views
1 Review
Added on January 30, 2012
Last Updated on March 11, 2012
Tags: snow, winter, snowmobile, romance, stars, moon, young love

Author

Omegax45
Omegax45

CT



About
I have published my second book in the series after three years: Hell's Detective: Lust. It is available now on Amazon Kindle and soon to be available as a paperback. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Omegax45


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Omegax45


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Omegax45