How to Make a Caesar

How to Make a Caesar

A Story by OrvisEd

When I was a child I was forced to go to church every Sunday, despite my protests of fearing boredom. Our church was merely a small congregation located in a forgotten community that visitors call “The Switzerland of Nova Scotia”.

Occasionally, although not often enough in my books, our small church community would gather for pot-lucks. I loved getting together with all of the adults and children, as I didn't view this as having anything to do with Church-related activities. I remember absolutely loving the pasta dishes, and anything with meat, but I never would have dreamed of eating my great-aunt's Caesar salad, although never having tried it.

As I got older my taste buds obviously developed, I stopped going to church (leaving behind the traditional pot-lucks), and became more adventurous with my food. Once, for my birthday, my great-aunt and grandmother took me to a restaurant, where they (lucky me) served fresh Caesar salad, made at your table. My aunt and grandmother (of course) ordered some, and to prove I was more mature than before, I asked for a plate as well.

What was served before me turned into a yearly tradition, and every year for my birthday (or any chance I get) I go back to this same place to eat a Caesar. And to clarify, now I eat my great-aunts Caesar whenever she makes it, as this salad has now become one of my favorites.

A Caesar salad is more than just a salad. It brings people together and gives a different meaning to food. Yes, I now love the Caesar, but I also love sharing it with my friends and family.

 

 

The Recipe

 

Serves 4 people

 

Ingredients:

 

A fork full of capers

2 Anchovy fillets

4 Cloves of freshly minced garlic (individual preferences vary, I personally add much more)

½ fresh lemon

1-2 tsp Dijon mustard

A splash of Worcestershire sauce

A splash of red wine vinegar

1-2 drops of Tabasco sauce

1 raw egg yolk

Olive oil

1-2 heads of freshly chopped romaine lettuce

Parmesan cheese

Freshly baked croutons

Fresh bacon bits

 

Mash the capers, anchovies, and garlic in a bowl until they reach a pasty texture. Add and mix the lemon and mix. Add Dijon, Worcestershire, red wine vinegar, and Tabasco. Push mixture to the side, if runny add parmesan cheese.

Place egg yolk into bowl (or separate bowl if you do not have a proper salad bowl) and rapidly beat in olive oil (sparingly) until it has become emulsified (rich and thick).

Mix the emulsified egg yolk with the rest of the ingredients. Add romaine, parmesan, croutons, and bacon bits, toss and add more parmesan for garnish.

Serve quickly, and enjoy!

© 2013 OrvisEd


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Never had it with capers. The rest of this is similar to my recipe from NYC.

Posted 10 Years Ago


OrvisEd

10 Years Ago

Capers make it a little more salty =]
Sue Hart

10 Years Ago

Love Caesar salad, I'll give it try. Thanks

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

172 Views
1 Review
Added on December 5, 2013
Last Updated on December 5, 2013

Author

OrvisEd
OrvisEd

Canada



About
I am a full time student obtaining a BBA. I write in my spare time or when I'm feeling anxious. I love to read, write (obviously), play video games, watch movies and TV shows, and wheelin'. more..

Writing
Injurious Love Injurious Love

A Story by OrvisEd


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by OrvisEd